Wierd fuzz coming out of left channel

gotmikey

• http://www.biofilm.com
« on: 2 May 2004, 06:21 pm »
For reasons unknown to me, there is a wierd fuzz coming out of my left channel when I play music.   I think I might have blown a fuse when changing my speaker wire, but I wouldn't get sound if I blew the fuse, correct?  Does anyone know the fuse rating for the Stratos? and has anyone had this problem before?

W.C.

« Reply #1 on: 2 May 2004, 06:45 pm »
Turn the amp off and unplug it. Take the top off and you will see 4 fusses on the main board. I believe they are 6 amp. Check those 4 fusses. Make sure you don't touch any of the capacitors, they will bite you. :D

KarlDL

« Reply #2 on: 4 May 2004, 12:16 pm »
Problem is more likely RF interference or RF oscillation somewhere, probably before the Stratos.  Bad output relay is possible, but less likely.

"When I play music ..."   Does this comment mean that non-musical sources (e.g., movie dialog) don't have the same problem?  Or that, in the absence of any audio, no noise is heard?  Both channels or one?

The 4 fuses are rated at 6.3A each and are between the power supply and the two amplifier sections.  The Stratos has NO speaker fuses, but its output delay relays protect speakers from turn-on transients.  If a fuse is blown, the channel should be completely dead.

Suggest trying a different source ... directly into the Stratos if it has a variable output  and/or another preamp (if you have one) ... to see if the problem remains.

KarlDL

« Reply #3 on: 4 May 2004, 12:27 pm »
OK, read everything before writing ...

Have you tried swapping the L & R inputs?  If the problem moves with the input connections, it's definitely before the Stratos.  If not, there's more of a chance within the Stratos.

Unplug your amp, allow 5 minutes for capacitor discharge, then open the Stratos top cover.  Carefully examine the cable connection to the binding posts on the left channel, wiggling them to make sure they are tight.  If one or the other is not tight, you need to loosen the set screw, ensure complete wire insertion, and tighten that screw.  The WBT posts use a Torx set screw that's an odd size, but I was able to align/tighten mine with an Allen hex key.  (My Stratos arrived from its previous owner with a loose left channel, discovered before power-up.)

gotmikey

« Reply #4 on: 4 May 2004, 02:56 pm »
I just got some new tubes for my preamp and thought it was caused by these, but switched the sides and the fuzzies stayed on the left channel.  I also did some re-wiring (with the amp on... I know, I'm an idiot) and I could've touched the pos. and neg. together.  Could this have caused further damage?  I know I didn't blow the speaker as I tested it on the right channel and it sounded fine.  I also tried different speaker wire and this didn't help.  The only thing I haven't done is opened the top.  It's always the hex size that you need that mysteriously disappears from you set!  These are standard right?

Marbles

« Reply #5 on: 4 May 2004, 03:09 pm »
As strange as it seems, that channel can work with a blown fuse and exhibits the symptons you are experiencing.

It should be a standard hexhead.

Make sure you wait an appropriate period of time before changing the fuse after you turn off the power and unplug it.

I would wait at least a half hour and an hour would be better.  Those caps can take a while to totally disapate and it's always better to be safer than sorry.

gotmikey

« Reply #6 on: 4 May 2004, 03:34 pm »
Marbles,

I was thinking that this was the case assuming there are four fuses (two each channel).  Maybe one popped and the other one didn't.  I'll check it out tonight and give you guys the update.  Thanks, all.