BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

ancient hippy

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #620 on: 24 Aug 2013, 06:18 pm »
What about width?  Does width matter?  :)
                                                                                                                                                                                                         whoops accidentally logged into comedy central

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #621 on: 25 Aug 2013, 04:24 am »
How can I copy, paste and play this URL with the BDP-1 and the latest software? I really Like Radio Paradise. Thank you for your help :thumb:

Radio Paradise should be available from within bRadio, a link to this web app is available from the BDP's home page in the drop down menu just below settings

cheers,
Chris

palexand

« Reply #622 on: 26 Aug 2013, 02:58 pm »
I'm about to pull the trigger on a BDP-2 purchase.  It will be configured to share files with a Mac Mini running iTunes with music stored on an a Drobo.  I've got three choices: (i) use Samba on the mini to share the drive with the BDP-2; (ii) move the Drobo to the BDP-2 share with the Mac; or (iii) use a second disc and synch on the BDP0-2 and synch with the Drobo.  Anyone tried this or something similar?

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #623 on: 25 Sep 2013, 04:12 pm »
Is there a setup option to limit PCM output to 48kHz like with DVD players?  I am looking to play all kinds of files, but due to my DAC limitation need 88.2k downsampled to 44.1k; 96k downsampled to 48k; etc.

BSMSPEMBA

« Reply #624 on: 26 Sep 2013, 02:56 pm »
Is there a setup option to limit PCM output to 48kHz like with DVD players?  I am looking to play all kinds of files, but due to my DAC limitation need 88.2k downsampled to 44.1k; 96k downsampled to 48k; etc.

To the best of my knowledge, no.  The BDPs are bit perfect.  They do not perform conversions. 

Stefan_DR3

« Reply #625 on: 26 Sep 2013, 03:06 pm »
OK, thanks.  I'll have to pass it through my Sonic Frontiers D2D before sending to Processor 3 @ 44/48k.

newmill

« Reply #626 on: 27 Sep 2013, 02:15 pm »
Hello:
Quick question. I cannot access radio stations anymore on my Bryston BDP1/BDA1 controlled with MPad?b Not sure if this is an Mpad issue? Any help is greatly appreciated.

bjski

« Reply #627 on: 28 Sep 2013, 02:48 pm »
Hey Chris,

I loaded some albums onto a Centon Rush 16gb thumb drive. All the material is 46/24 resolution or higher. I have a BDP-1 which couldn't read that particular thumb drive. I have another Centon 16gb with different material and the BDP-1 has no problems reading it. I then took a third brand new Centon 16gb thumb drive loaded the same material I was having trouble with and that thumb drive wouldn't work with the BDP-1. The files played fine on the computer. Not worried for I have the songs stored on a 2TB Western Digital which plays the material fine. Also have the music backed up up on another 2 hard drives.  Did not try the thumb drive in the rear ports. I do have the latest software download 17.3. What to do? Would you like a Centon thumb drive to play around with?
Cheers,
BJ

R. Daneel

« Reply #628 on: 28 Oct 2013, 11:15 am »
Hello!

I have a couple of questions regarding the differences between BDP-1 and BDP-2. Answers should help me decide which one to purchase in a few months time. So, here goes:

1. Are there big differences between BDP-1 and BDP-2 in terms of loading times? How much does it take for either to load a flash drive with 1 GB of music files for example?

2.Are there measured differences in terms of audio quality?

3. How do the BDP-1 and BDP-2 fare against optical-media transports like the ones from Sony (the late 1980s and early 1990s) or Teac in terms of audio quality?

4. Are there differences in user interface and playback functions on the main unit (such as repeat, programming modes etc.)?

5. Does the BDP-1/2 have to be connected to an internet router with WiFi in order for it to be controlled remotely by an Android device (I assume it has no built-in Wi-Fi receiver)?

6. If the BDP-1/2 is connected to an internet router and is controlled by an Android device, I am right to assume that this will work regardless of a computer (if it is off or is not connected to the network at all)? I would just like to have something that works like an ordinary CD player but that can be controlled by an Android device since the music library is much greater than a dozen songs you find on an average compact disc.

7. Is it possible to make a custom order and have the SPDIF BNC connector replaced by an RCA connector? The reason is that I already have all the cables. These were made by a friend who, in the meantime, started doing something differently and so these are a prototype but as much as I refused to believe it, these cables have made a difference.

This is essentially what I am interested in. I had an idea of purchasing a dedicated music streamer like the ones from Naim. However, I still prefer to have the music stored on something you can disconnect easily, not on network-attached storage devices because the D-Link I have has proven itself to be a loud, slow and not at all intuitive device. It doesn't provide me with a sense of reliability at all. There are good optical-media transports out there but the really nice ones are too expensive and they are limited to CD playback only. Also, I have recently discovered that not even all expensive CD transports perform any better than even the cheapest of DVD players (it certainly came as a shock to me).

Thanks for all the help!
Antun

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #629 on: 28 Oct 2013, 05:02 pm »
I can answer a couple of them (I have a BDP-2, I only demoed the BDP-1) :

1 - No personal experience here, but reports are that the BDP-2 is faster. Can someone else comment?

2 - I don't believe there is any difference at all. Can someone else comment?

3 - I have a Sonos. Both that and the BPD-2 run through my BDA-2. The BDP-2 makes the same source files sound more like music with a much wider, deeper, and more detailed presentation than the Sonos, which sounds flat and 2-dimensional by comparison.

4 - The BDP-1 and BDP-2 use the same firmware, so there shouldn't be any difference in operation at all.

5 - Yes

6 - Yes, you don't need to have a computer hooked up to use the BDP's, unless the computer is the source of your music of course.

7 - I believe read a post once where James Tanner said that was indeed possible. If you can though, I highly recommend the AES/EBU connector instead though. I also had a hard time buying that digital cable "quality" can make an audible difference. For me and my system, it can. There's also (in my opinion) a much steeper cost/value ratio for digital cables, meaning you can spend LOTS of money for a very SMALL (in my opinion on my system) difference.

One other difference that may or may not matter to you (it did to me): the BDP-2 is designed to house an internal SSD or other 2.5" HDD. The BPD-1 only uses external hard drives.

Hope that helps a bit until others can fill in the blanks.

- Garrett

R. Daneel

« Reply #630 on: 28 Oct 2013, 06:59 pm »
I can answer a couple of them (I have a BDP-2, I only demoed the BDP-1) :

1 - No personal experience here, but reports are that the BDP-2 is faster. Can someone else comment?

2 - I don't believe there is any difference at all. Can someone else comment?

3 - I have a Sonos. Both that and the BPD-2 run through my BDA-2. The BDP-2 makes the same source files sound more like music with a much wider, deeper, and more detailed presentation than the Sonos, which sounds flat and 2-dimensional by comparison.

4 - The BDP-1 and BDP-2 use the same firmware, so there shouldn't be any difference in operation at all.

5 - Yes

6 - Yes, you don't need to have a computer hooked up to use the BDP's, unless the computer is the source of your music of course.

7 - I believe read a post once where James Tanner said that was indeed possible. If you can though, I highly recommend the AES/EBU connector instead though. I also had a hard time buying that digital cable "quality" can make an audible difference. For me and my system, it can. There's also (in my opinion) a much steeper cost/value ratio for digital cables, meaning you can spend LOTS of money for a very SMALL (in my opinion on my system) difference.

One other difference that may or may not matter to you (it did to me): the BDP-2 is designed to house an internal SSD or other 2.5" HDD. The BPD-1 only uses external hard drives.

Hope that helps a bit until others can fill in the blanks.

- Garrett

That's very helpful Garrett, thank you!

I also have a BDA-2 and while I do believe what you are saying about the AES connection, I need an RCA output on the BDP for a different DAC.

I hope that others will join in and fill in the missing bits. Thank you again!

Cheers!
Antun

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #631 on: 29 Oct 2013, 06:08 pm »
Antun, in addition to the excellent points that Garrett makes, I would note that the BDP-2 has an element of "future-proofing" (insofar as that is possible today) by virtue of its greater power and capacity. I have the BDP-2 and BDA-2, and they're magical together.

As to your third question, I've compared hi-res files on the BDP-2 to CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As on my Oppo BDP-105 and find the BDP-2 smoother, more detailed, and more engaging (though the differences are more subtle with SACDs and DVD-As). I look forward to the forthcoming BOT-1 and plan to purchase this disc transport to work in harmony with the BDP-2 and BDA-2.

Regarding your sixth question, the player does not need a network. I've added a 500gb Samsung SSD, and as Garrett notes, this is a very useful feature, adding great capacity to the player whether or not you're using a network. I ran a gigabit ethernet cable, through two Cisco business class switches, to my iMac computer, and this adds many more possibilities to the BDP-2. I can't comment on Android devices, as my experience is with iPhones, iPads, and iPods.

Bottom line, Antun, go with the BDP-2. You'll be happier with the performance, expandability, and longevity of this excellent product.

Best fishes,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

R. Daneel

« Reply #632 on: 1 Nov 2013, 02:52 pm »
Antun, in addition to the excellent points that Garrett makes, I would note that the BDP-2 has an element of "future-proofing" (insofar as that is possible today) by virtue of its greater power and capacity. I have the BDP-2 and BDA-2, and they're magical together.

As to your third question, I've compared hi-res files on the BDP-2 to CDs, SACDs, and DVD-As on my Oppo BDP-105 and find the BDP-2 smoother, more detailed, and more engaging (though the differences are more subtle with SACDs and DVD-As). I look forward to the forthcoming BOT-1 and plan to purchase this disc transport to work in harmony with the BDP-2 and BDA-2.

Regarding your sixth question, the player does not need a network. I've added a 500gb Samsung SSD, and as Garrett notes, this is a very useful feature, adding great capacity to the player whether or not you're using a network. I ran a gigabit ethernet cable, through two Cisco business class switches, to my iMac computer, and this adds many more possibilities to the BDP-2. I can't comment on Android devices, as my experience is with iPhones, iPads, and iPods.

Bottom line, Antun, go with the BDP-2. You'll be happier with the performance, expandability, and longevity of this excellent product.

Best fishes,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

Hi Rich and thank you for your reply!

I am struggling to justify the difference in price. You see, equipment is generally much more expensive in Europe so the BDP-1 is around 2200 Euro and the BDP-2 is 3100 Euro so there is a 900 Euro price difference.  These prices are with 15% discount I was able to get.

If the performance in terms of audio quality is identical between the two, that leaves me with better expandibility and convenience but it comes at a price. It was easier with the BDA-2 because I felt it gives more in return than some other similar DACs but with the BDP-2 we are talking about improving everything but the sound.

On the other hand, the BDP-2 is more future-proof as you say. Chris tells me the current operating system uses around 200 MB of RAM and so the 2048 MB RAM in the BDP-2 has a lot more free space for data manipulation.

The one thing that completely failed for me was trying to integrate a player that can handle high resolution audio. The reason it failed because such a machine is inevitably dependent on display as all it's features are accessed via the on-screen menu. That is what attracts me to the BDP series - they require no connection to a screen.

Cheers!
Antun

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #633 on: 1 Nov 2013, 03:50 pm »
Your points are good ones, Antun, and I well understand your dilemma. I do think that the long-term benefits are worthwhile, though, as you'll have a far longer useful life with the BDP-2, and that may justify the substantially greater investment. Larry Greenhill had a very well presented article on the BDP-2 vis-a-vis the BDP-1 in the October Stereophile.

I appreciate your comment about video. The BDP players are very simple and straightforward, yet powerful and expandable. I also have an Oppo BDP-105 that plays high-resolution files. It's a fine machine but not at the level of the BDP-2/BDA-2, and it really likes the video display on when controlling the player.

Rich

R. Daneel

« Reply #634 on: 9 Nov 2013, 03:34 pm »
I think the BDP-2 seems like a viable option then. I have read several reviews and all of them suggest it is a magnificent machine. I am somewhat worried about the lack of "physicality" for it is a solid state player and I am somewhat "attached" to analogue formats. But then, no one says it will be a replacement for an analogue system.  The one thing that preoccupies me is the internal hard disk because I am not very keen on opening the top cover and installing it myself, even if it is an ordinary computer hard drive.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #635 on: 9 Nov 2013, 05:10 pm »
I think the BDP-2 seems like a viable option then. I have read several reviews and all of them suggest it is a magnificent machine. I am somewhat worried about the lack of "physicality" for it is a solid state player and I am somewhat "attached" to analogue formats. But then, no one says it will be a replacement for an analogue system.  The one thing that preoccupies me is the internal hard disk because I am not very keen on opening the top cover and installing it myself, even if it is an ordinary computer hard drive.

The video links below describe the process of the physical installation, formatting of the drive and copying music from your computer to the drive attached to your bdp.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmafbFKnWWw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsyU15-sB8&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjn2HSd6b8

drummermitchell

« Reply #636 on: 13 Nov 2013, 03:12 pm »
Just finished ripping 7062 songs :o,onto a ext storage device over the weekend.
I have one wireless router connecting two computers,laptop and the (BDP-2+BDA-2),
Would it be beneficial to have the BDP-BDA on their OWN router,any downsides having all these hitch hikers in the same spot.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #637 on: 13 Nov 2013, 10:17 pm »
That really depends on how much data you are transferring through the router all the time. Think of it like the hot water heater... if you are only using maybe one hot shower and the dishwasher at one time, there's plenty of hot water. If you are also using another hot shower and the hot water in the kitchen sink, you're going to start putting some strain on the hot water system.

So if you're not streaming Netflix to two computers and trying to listen to music over the network all at the same time, you'll probably be fine.

drummermitchell

« Reply #638 on: 14 Nov 2013, 02:01 am »
Great,jsust surfing the net a bit while listening to tunes,thx.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #639 on: 14 Nov 2013, 02:26 am »
Great,jsust surfing the net a bit while listening to tunes,thx.

Your better off keeping it the way you have it, you don't have much traffic and everything has access to the Internet.

Cheers
Chris