Topping D50 Dual ES9038Q2M DAC

mhconley

Re: Topping D50 Dual ES9038Q2M DAC
« Reply #20 on: 7 May 2018, 01:04 pm »
I have both this DAC and the Topping DX7s DAC / Headphone amp combo. Both of them are built like tanks and sound insanely good for their price.  (I picked them both up on AliExpress using 15% off coupons.)  The DAC is connected to my PC and Rokit 6 G3 powered monitors while the DX7s replaced the PS Audio Digital Link III and GCHA in my main stereo.  I could not be happier with them.

Martin

dpump

« Reply #21 on: 7 May 2018, 05:31 pm »
I missed the Massdrop for the Topping D50 at $199. Anyone here interested in selling their D50 for $210 shipped to 27410 please PM me.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #22 on: 10 May 2018, 11:53 am »
Sorry, Maty.  I couldn't resist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6CKSW9I1cA

Thanks for this! Love John Cleese and Fawlty Towers! Another favorite of mine is another BBC comedy, “Mind Your Language.”

Best,
Anand.

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #23 on: 10 May 2018, 11:54 am »
Wushuliu,

Before you disappear on your hiatus, allow me to thank you for posting about all these inexpensive DACs. I’ve read along even though I didn’t post.

Regards,

Michael

+1!

Best,
Anand.

jmc207

« Reply #24 on: 10 May 2018, 04:18 pm »

dpump

« Reply #25 on: 11 May 2018, 09:09 pm »
I purchased wushuliu's D50, so I'm no longer looking for one. Should have it next week. Also interested in the Hifime UDA38PRO if anyone has one of those they want to sell.

envydd

« Reply #26 on: 11 May 2018, 10:13 pm »
whats the best ESS cheap dac with volume control? Is the ESS volume control lossy or is it good enough?

wushuliu

« Reply #27 on: 13 May 2018, 09:05 pm »

wushuliu

« Reply #28 on: 13 May 2018, 09:07 pm »
whats the best ESS cheap dac with volume control? Is the ESS volume control lossy or is it good enough?

ESS volume control is handled digitally.

http://www.esstech.com/files/3014/4095/4308/digital-vs-analog-volume-control.pdf

envydd

« Reply #29 on: 13 May 2018, 11:08 pm »
How good or bad is this in reality? At volume control do you hear distortion? Some DACs have an analog volume control but those tend to be expensive. Others do DSP processing prior to the dac stage.

wushuliu

« Reply #30 on: 14 May 2018, 12:27 am »
How good or bad is this in reality? At volume control do you hear distortion? Some DACs have an analog volume control but those tend to be expensive. Others do DSP processing prior to the dac stage.

Not sure what you're asking. There is no distortion. The ESS report is accurate. You have to spend a *lot* more to improve on their volume control specs. Note - their volume control does not have anything to do with accommodating whatever is downstream i.e meeting impedance, current output requirements etc. for whatever is plugged into the dac. Which why there is usually an additional output stage provided by whoever makes the dac.

Mike B.

« Reply #31 on: 14 May 2018, 01:48 pm »
New offering of the D50 at Massdrop

wushuliu

« Reply #32 on: 14 May 2018, 02:58 pm »
New offering of the D50 at Massdrop

Good price (I paid full price for mine from Ebay). But 6 weeks til delivery. And looks like they've been having shipping delays.

Mike B.

« Reply #33 on: 14 May 2018, 03:06 pm »
I also paid full price. The advertised delivery was listed as over a month but it got to me in about two and half weeks. Came from Germany.

wushuliu

« Reply #34 on: 14 May 2018, 03:37 pm »
I also paid full price. The advertised delivery was listed as over a month but it got to me in about two and half weeks. Came from Germany.

I was referring to the Massdrop. Ebay delivery was about 2.5 weeks for me as well.

Mike B.

« Reply #35 on: 14 May 2018, 04:27 pm »
Here is my take on the D50 at this point.  It temporary replaced a Wyrd4Sound DAC 2 DSD SE. Connection to the dedicated computer is via Shunyata usb cable. Power was supplied by the provided USB cable. Sound was tipped up in frequency emphasis. It has a irritating emphasis in the upper vocal range. After a number of hours of play, I replaced the power supply with a regulated 5 volt DC, 5amp unit. That made very noticeable change for the better in the bass and dynamics overall. I planned on modifying it just for fun, but didn't realized how small it was. Op amps and other chips are all very small surface mounted components. All I have done inside is add ERS fabric on top of all the chips. That seemed to clear up the overall resolution a small amount. At this point, I would call it a very good traveling dac for the businessman on the road. Needless to say it didn't match the Wyrd dac.  There is still the problem with the emphasis in the midrange IMO. It might be a more pleasing dac in a lesser resolving setup. YMMV

wushuliu

« Reply #36 on: 14 May 2018, 04:42 pm »
Here is my take on the D50 at this point.  It temporary replaced a Wyrd4Sound DAC 2 DSD SE. Connection to the dedicated computer is via Shunyata usb cable. Power was supplied by the provided USB cable. Sound was tipped up in frequency emphasis. It has a irritating emphasis in the upper vocal range. After a number of hours of play, I replaced the power supply with a regulated 5 volt DC, 5amp unit. That made very noticeable change for the better in the bass and dynamics overall. I planned on modifying it just for fun, but didn't realized how small it was. Op amps and other chips are all very small surface mounted components. All I have done inside is add ERS fabric on top of all the chips. That seemed to clear up the overall resolution a small amount. At this point, I would call it a very good traveling dac for the businessman on the road. Needless to say it didn't match the Wyrd dac.  There is still the problem with the emphasis in the midrange IMO. It might be a more pleasing dac in a lesser resolving setup. YMMV

My experience was similar, but keep in mind the Sabre-based dacs do need a few days to open up from my experience. I usually find myself grumbling the first day or so. Also, I think the Coaxial input sounds better than the USB. As for modding, it does have one plus: The components are well labeled and organized. For instance all the important 3.3v regulators are off to one side and easy to pop up with a solder iron. No caps or other stuff in the way. Get some batteries or a LT3045 or whatever good low noise supply and just tap into those pads. No longer portable, but sound quality will skyrocket.

terry parr

« Reply #37 on: 24 Jun 2018, 04:50 pm »

"Sound was tipped up in frequency emphasis.  It has a irritating emphasis in the upper vocal range." 

The Audio Technica ADX5000 headphones that I have is lacking just a bit in precisely this area.  I feel that these headphones are noticeably veiled in the low treble region.  So, if this dac does indeed sound to me the way it sounds to you in this frequency range, then I would consider the D50's presentation as an answer to get the sound presentation of the ADX5000 more to my liking.

So, what may be interpreted as a negative for you may be interpreted as a positive to someone else (depending on their preferred sound signature in gear, and the sound signature of their other components in their audio chain). 

Appreciate everyone here for sharing their impressions on the D50. 

pinkfloyd4ever

« Reply #38 on: 1 Jul 2018, 06:31 pm »
Wushuliu, which HiFiMe DAC do you have? The UDA38 Pro?

wushuliu

« Reply #39 on: 1 Jul 2018, 09:07 pm »
Wushuliu, which HiFiMe DAC do you have? The UDA38 Pro?

Yep.