Mivera DAC/Preamp Thread

Audiogeek2

Re: Mivera DAC/Preamp Thread
« Reply #20 on: 19 Dec 2017, 03:39 am »
Mike, for me its the convolution  engine where Roon comes second. Filters and modulator combination is more a personal choice.

brj

« Reply #21 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:17 am »
I have Roon and HPQ, but unless I missed it somewhere, HQP is still the only software product that can apply a convolution filter to DSD natively.

I'm going from memory, though, and I haven't had had time to be as diligent in reading release notes lately...

(Mike, your DSP solution sounds interesting, as I have two different routes through the Mac Mini that I use as a music server - one for 2-channel audio using Roon/HQP and that uses Loopback for those times when I want to route AV material through my big rig.  Perhaps it's worth discussing that in a separate thread?)

bavmike

« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:02 am »
Mike, for me its the convolution  engine where Roon comes second. Filters and modulator combination is more a personal choice.

But did you try it since they made major upgrades to the convolution engine? Last time we discussed this via email you said you haven’t tried it since 1.3 initially came out. There’s been probably a dozen upgrades to the upsampling and convolution engine since then. If you tried the latest version and still find it subpar for your tastes then I can respect that. But if all of this opinion is based on when it was pretty much broken at first launch then it doesn’t reflect a valid opinion today.

bavmike

« Reply #23 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:04 am »
I have Roon and HPQ, but unless I missed it somewhere, HQP is still the only software product that can apply a convolution filter to DSD natively.

I'm going from memory, though, and I haven't had had time to be as diligent in reading release notes lately...

(Mike, your DSP solution sounds interesting, as I have two different routes through the Mac Mini that I use as a music server - one for 2-channel audio using Roon/HQP and that uses Loopback for those times when I want to route AV material through my big rig.  Perhaps it's worth discussing that in a separate thread?)

No Roon can apply DSP to native DSD now just like HQP. This was one of the many updates they made that resulted in a massive quality increase to the convolution. I have more than 1 client using Roon convolution with native DSD and my Purestream DSD 256 only DAC.

This thread is fine for DSP discussion, as DSP is part of how my system works.

bavmike

« Reply #24 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:16 am »
I actually figured out how to do a makeshift 64 bit “DSD wide” volume control in Roon to eliminate a Preamp with a pure DSD DAC. It’s kind of a clunky solution but it works.

1- Enable the headroom management and set the dB to whatever you want your maximum level to play at.
2- Enable the PEQ, and use the overall gain slider to adjust volume.

bavmike

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2017, 08:50 am »
Roon 1.4 was released today! I’ll have to give it a try tomorrow.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-4-is-live-christmas-tree/35225

mikeeastman

« Reply #26 on: 19 Dec 2017, 03:04 pm »
I've been using Roon 1.3 and in my system it has better SQ than HQPlayer had. If the 1.4 Roon is better  I can't wait to hear it.

mikeeastman

« Reply #27 on: 19 Dec 2017, 06:10 pm »
I just updated Roon to 1.4  :thumb: :thumb:  I'll have to do some more listing, but so far WOW! Everything has so much more presence and impact, it's like everything got thicker somehow at the same time it's very musical. This had to be the easies update ever and that's from a complete computer idiot.

Audiogeek2

« Reply #28 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:29 pm »
Ok, I will give it another go with Roon convolution in the new year. It would actually be a relief to ditch hqp. Your advice in the past has always been spot on.

On another note, why does the new server/dac require raveena?
The superstream server allready had fibre input. I thought raveena was to replace the usb connection between the superstream and purestream dac. If its an all in one unit, is that still necessary?
Maybe I have not kept up with the technology

bavmike

« Reply #29 on: 19 Dec 2017, 07:44 pm »
Ok, I will give it another go with Roon convolution in the new year. It would actually be a relief to ditch hqp. Your advice in the past has always been spot on.

On another note, why does the new server/dac require raveena?
The superstream server allready had fibre input. I thought raveena was to replace the usb connection between the superstream and purestream dac. If its an all in one unit, is that still necessary?
Maybe I have not kept up with the technology

Ravenna is a major upgrade in not only sound quality but functionality. No longer do I need to run another computer as a streamer with an OS and software like Roon RAAT or NAA. Ravenna turns the Ethernet into the same thing like USB audio. Plug the DAC into the switch, and it’s available as a sound device for all applications available on the server. Not just Roon or HQP. But more importantly is I’m able to do the clocking and all the digital end much better than is possible with USB.