New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!

Sonicjoy

Re: New Studio Monitor....Now Shipping!
« Reply #220 on: 13 Feb 2020, 05:06 am »
Thanks for the help guys!

WarmColors

« Reply #221 on: 24 Feb 2020, 05:24 am »
Does anybody have an idea on dimensions of a room where the studios would not do well medium/larger size rooms?

I know the studios are made for near field/smaller room applications

I just want to get an idea of what i may expect once my family outgrows our current house and need more space.

Thank you

RonP

« Reply #222 on: 25 Feb 2020, 12:18 pm »
What would these sound like without the box? Like maybe an open baffle version?  :green:

I'm still on the hunt to replace my Sonos speakers. I no longer listen to them in stereo pairs. I just put one in the corner of a room and point it into the room. It's for background music.

Sonicjoy

« Reply #223 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:02 pm »
Does anybody have an idea on dimensions of a room where the studios would not do well medium/larger size rooms?

I know the studios are made for near field/smaller room applications

I just want to get an idea of what i may expect once my family outgrows our current house and need more space.

Thank you

It really depends what you want out of them. They may have acceptable bass in a very small room but in large rooms they will need subs to fill out the low end. As room size increases the power and dynamics will diminish somewhat. Larger speakers with more or larger drivers will energize a larger room much better. Its just physics, move more air. However if you can resist the urge to spread the speakers and listening position further apart in a large room, in other words keep a more near field set you will still be fine as long as you have subs, and keep the speakers out from the walls somewhat. But like always it will require experimenting with placement and setup.  You can still get great imaging and sound stage performance in a large room you just may lose some dynamics and punch. This applies to all small speakers really. Of course by the time you move you maybe ready to move to larger speakers.

I'm about to find out first hand myself. I will be comparing the NX Studios I'm building to my open baffle Emerald Physics EP 2.7's (compression tweeter, 12 inch mid, two 15 inch woofers per side) very soon in a medium size room with cathedral ceiling. I will report on my findings in a couple weeks with any luck. Should be fun!

Sonicjoy

« Reply #224 on: 25 Feb 2020, 02:08 pm »
What would these sound like without the box? Like maybe an open baffle version?  :green:

I'm still on the hunt to replace my Sonos speakers. I no longer listen to them in stereo pairs. I just put one in the corner of a room and point it into the room. It's for background music.

It would need to be redesigned as an open baffle speaker. It would not be the same speaker but a completely different one. These are in a whole other league than the Sonos. No real comparison.

RonP

« Reply #225 on: 25 Feb 2020, 03:43 pm »
Thanks SonicJoy. It's a low priority project.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #226 on: 25 Feb 2020, 03:43 pm »

For just sticking something in a corner, you'd be better off with an Omni design like this:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #227 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:44 pm »

Danny already has a speaker like this, except it has two of the midrange drivers, the NX-Otica MTM monitor. It's the top half of the speaker in my Avatar.

Tyson

« Reply #228 on: 25 Feb 2020, 04:53 pm »
Danny already has a speaker like this, except it has two of the midrange drivers, the NX-Otica MTM monitor. It's the top half of the speaker in my Avatar.

Right, but you definitely do NOT want to stick an OB speaker in the corner.  The Omni I referenced above is a much better choice for those locations. 

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #229 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:25 pm »
Right, but you definitely do NOT want to stick an OB speaker in the corner.  The Omni I referenced above is a much better choice for those locations.

Definitely don't put an OB close to a wall. My point, though not well made, was that an OB version of the studio monitor would not be a studio monitor, it would be an OB speaker.

IIRC Danny has said the omnis need 3ft of space from any wall, including side walls, because they radiate 360 degrees rather than the figure 8 pattern of OBs.

Danny Richie

« Reply #230 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:37 pm »
Mike's right. Any omni speaker needs to be at least three feet from any wall.

Tyson

« Reply #231 on: 25 Feb 2020, 05:39 pm »
Mike's right. Any omni speaker needs to be at least three feet from any wall.

But the Studio Monitor can be placed close to the wall, correct?

RonP

« Reply #232 on: 25 Feb 2020, 06:29 pm »
Thanks all. Didn't mean to derail the thread.

Danny Richie

« Reply #233 on: 25 Feb 2020, 07:59 pm »
But the Studio Monitor can be placed close to the wall, correct?

Yes.

Keithh

« Reply #234 on: 29 Feb 2020, 07:58 pm »
Thinking of building the Studio Monitors and using the M165/16's in a base. What advantages
are there in using 3 drivers over 2?  Any disadvantage to a 24" deep cabinet the 3 M165/16 would require?

Danny Richie

« Reply #235 on: 3 Mar 2020, 01:21 pm »
Thinking of building the Studio Monitors and using the M165/16's in a base. What advantages
are there in using 3 drivers over 2?  Any disadvantage to a 24" deep cabinet the 3 M165/16 would require?

That is not a problem.

The only disadvantage to the deep cabinet is that your cabinet looks deep.

chip

« Reply #236 on: 3 Mar 2020, 05:25 pm »
I must be blind I don't see these kits on the website?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #237 on: 3 Mar 2020, 06:10 pm »
Call Danny.  The website is a work in progress.