Klauss talking about reviews!

ABEX

« on: 9 Feb 2004, 04:15 pm »
Klauss:
    Did you write the following thread:
http://www.audioasylum.com/audio/general/messages/312236.html

It seems that it is an request that shall not be taken into account. I also think that there should be things told and taken into account for reviewers so that their readers can better judge what might work in their setups.

I do not like to get into back\forth dialogs about A/B testing because I do them not as DBT's,but in my own enviroment with my own equiptment which allows me to gauge differences in a familar enviroment. It takes me awhile to pick up on things,I guees I am not as quick as some others,but I do try to get things right.

OTOH some things are more apparent than others,but when listening for subtle differences it takes me longer. As an example XO  Cu speaker wires to Cu there is   marked difference which I can tell right away,but when changing out Cu to Cu of the same geometries it becomes longer to notice subtle diffrerences.

DBT's are worthless in most cases.

JA was good enough to answer your questions and he should be commended for that. He might want to acoompany reviews with a little postscript about the listening room which would not be much or take up much room. I only read the Phile to look at trends now as the equipment is way to expensive to most people. Another thing which helps is to see what tech is being implemented and weather there are lower priced units using the same tech effectively.

I am not a big component change out person as I find things that are good value that work well for me and keep them for extended periods usually.I still use a stock Phillips CD-80 which is almost 15yrs. old.Still have a few B&K amps and a DUAL CS5000 TT which serve me well.

The best mag I think out there is AudioXpress.It has been years since I was into raw electronics .but I feel myself drawn back to it and will probly build a Passive Controller and might attempt the Mods of the Panny unit.

BTW you and Nelson Pass agree about Digital Amps,but as I stated in my first review\opinion of the 45 it is great for the $$ and the gap is closer now. I still want a dedicated 2ch. SOTA setup and shall most likely use the Panny for HT and casual listening.What I like is that rather getting a veiled presentation it is clean.

As a benchmark I think it beats out an active Pre-Amp mid-fi receiver ,but a Passive Controller setup is better except for Bass and a few other things.

I do not find  the unit offensive like so many other mass market junk units I have experienced.

Just thinking!

slurve

Post on AA
« Reply #1 on: 9 Feb 2004, 06:46 pm »
Can't speak for him, but I do not think that was Odyssey Klaus. I beleive he posts as klaus@odyssey.

klaus@odyssey

« Reply #2 on: 9 Feb 2004, 07:00 pm »
Nope,  not me.  Slurve i correct.