Preamp Recommendations?

Airborn

Preamp Recommendations?
« on: 7 Dec 2007, 08:55 am »
I just joined the Odyssey family by purchasing a used stereo Khartago and am seeking suggestions for a synergistic preamp to match. :thumb: 

The specifics are as follows:

1) My budget is <$1000 new or used.
2) Phono stage preferred and a plus, but I do have a Cambridge Audio 640p already, so an integrated one is not absolutely necessary.
3) I generally prefer tubes over SS and my current two channel amp is an Onix SP-3 tube integrated, which is great, but a little too polite at 38 wpc.  I am hoping the SS Khartago solves that problem, but would like to retain the tube sound with a tubed pre.
4) The rest of my system includes AV123 Strata Mini speakers (86 db efficiency, 6-8 ohms), Onix CD-5 for digital and Dual 601 turntable with Shure V15-III/AT 440 MLa MM cartridges.
5) I have young children and do a lot of late night listening and therefore need something that allows the dynamics to come thru at lower listening levels (<90 db).

My preliminary short list is:

Mapletree Ultra 4SE
EE Minimax
Used Candela

I realize many may suggest a Candela or Tempest, but I am really seeking options other than those well known suggestions.  Thanks in advance for any input.

denjo

Re: Preamp Recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: 7 Dec 2007, 09:35 am »
Airborn
I heard the Khartago paired with a Candela into Harbeth 7s recently and was absolutely riveted with the music that they made! Very listenable, even at low volumes. Vocals were particularly well portrayed, with the singer in the centrestage. Not sure if the Harbeths added to the magic as well!

Best Regards
Dennis

Lkdog

« Reply #2 on: 7 Dec 2007, 06:34 pm »
I just joined the Odyssey family by purchasing a used stereo Khartago and am seeking suggestions for a synergistic preamp to match. :thumb: 

The specifics are as follows:

1) My budget is <$1000 new or used.
2) Phono stage preferred and a plus, but I do have a Cambridge Audio 640p already, so an integrated one is not absolutely necessary.
3) I generally prefer tubes over SS and my current two channel amp is an Onix SP-3 tube integrated, which is great, but a little too polite at 38 wpc.  I am hoping the SS Khartago solves that problem, but would like to retain the tube sound with a tubed pre.
4) The rest of my system includes AV123 Strata Mini speakers (86 db efficiency, 6-8 ohms), Onix CD-5 for digital and Dual 601 turntable with Shure V15-III/AT 440 MLa MM cartridges.
5) I have young children and do a lot of late night listening and therefore need something that allows the dynamics to come thru at lower listening levels (<90 db).

My preliminary short list is:

Mapletree Ultra 4SE
EE Minimax
Used Candela

I realize many may suggest a Candela or Tempest, but I am really seeking options other than those well known suggestions.  Thanks in advance for any input.

All nice choices I am sure.
I have been very pleased with my Audio Mirror PP1 preamp which does have a quite well thought of phono stage as well as line stage. Uses 12*7 preamp tubes and is very tube rolling friendly-takes any 12A*7 tubes or variants.
Can be gotten new from Vlad at Audio Mirror for around $850 or so.
Used they run $600+. Very well reviewed unit.

They also make a linestage that is supposed to be quite good which is cheaper.

http://www.audiomirror.com/preamps.html

spacedghost

« Reply #3 on: 7 Dec 2007, 06:50 pm »
Airborn

I am using a SAS 10A(can be found used for around 700) with my Khartago's and couldn't be happier.  It does not have a phono stage, but I actually like the flexability that provides.

Shaun

lcrim

« Reply #4 on: 7 Dec 2007, 07:28 pm »
I have an EE Minimax preamp.  They were delivered w/ differing gain ratings.  The first released were @ 20 dB, mine was modded by morningstaraudio to 18 db.  The present release I understand is all the way down to 9 dB.
For my system, w/ the Music Reference EM7 SET amp, the 18 dB works very nicely for my Omega Hemps and I have a very nice range of adjustment.  This preamp, it is well known, is very transparent to the tubes used.  I have been using a Tungsol 6X4WA rectifier, with an NOS Amperex 12AU7 in the gain stage and a GE 6414 in the cathode follower and keep coming back to these tubes. 
The sound is definitely in the denser, tubey spectrum.  They can be had used for $650 and you can roll tubes to get the tone where you want it.  Beautifully constructed, the way the gain knob works is simply perfect.  No remote,  mine could use another input (added in later models) but has a second output for my sub.  I keep getting the upgrade itch but it sounds too good to mess it all up.

Christof

« Reply #5 on: 7 Dec 2007, 08:08 pm »
Airborn

I used a Dared SL2000A tube pre with that Khartago and really liked the sound.  I regret selling that little preamp :duh:

saisunil

« Reply #6 on: 7 Dec 2007, 08:53 pm »
These are all good options - you will be happy regardless of yuur choice.
I vote for Mapletree - Dr. Lloyd can do custom job if you like - example custom RCAs, Volume pot - the stock unit itself is amazing - just roll some tubes and you are in audio bliss.

Good Luck
Sunil.

tanchiro58

« Reply #7 on: 7 Dec 2007, 09:26 pm »
I picked up from Audiogon an used Promitheus Audio Apollo preamp included double c-core output transformers. It is a tube buffer stage (using 6N1P tubes) and TVC passive preamp with an external power supply tube rectification (using 5AR4 or GZ34 or 5Y3 tube). It has very nice sound indeed.  :thumb:

Good luck,
Tan

bunky

« Reply #8 on: 7 Dec 2007, 10:04 pm »
Airborn

I am using a SAS 10A(can be found used for around 700) with my Khartago's and couldn't be happier.  It does not have a phono stage, but I actually like the flexability that provides.

Shaun
I run a recently upgraded SAS 10A tube pre in my modded BAT VK60 powered tube rig  :thumb: the Candela is my pre of choice in my Odyssey mono extreme SE powered SS rig. :D

Airborn

« Reply #9 on: 7 Dec 2007, 11:41 pm »
Hey all, thanks for the replies so far.  :thumb:  A couple of questions:

1) LKdog - Where can I get the Audio Mirror PP-1 for $850 new??  The link you supplied shows the new price as $1599? :scratch:

2) Tan - That Promitheus Audio Apollo looks sweet, but I don't think I have room for all those boxes on my rack.  Will a straight passive like the Promitheus TVC mate well with the Khartago, because I heard there may be issues with using a passive with Odyssey amps?

tanchiro58

« Reply #10 on: 8 Dec 2007, 12:10 am »
Will a straight passive like the Promitheus TVC mate well with the Khartago, because I heard there may be issues with using a passive with Odyssey amps?

Airborn,

I am sure the Promitheus TVC passive preamp will match well with your Khartago amp since I have listened to the combination of TVC+Odyssey Stratos at my friend house (F100) and they sound excellent to me with no issues.  :thumb:

I need a tube buffer stage with TVC to push my Sun Audio 2A3 SET amp (4watts).

Tan

Note: the box seats next to the PS is a Promitheus DAC.

Christof

« Reply #11 on: 8 Dec 2007, 12:45 am »
Airborn

Shaun
I run a recently upgraded SAS 10A tube pre in my modded BAT VK60 powered tube rig  :thumb: the Candela is my pre of choice in my Odyssey mono extreme SE powered SS rig. :D

Earlmarc also used a SAS Labs 10A with his Khartago and spoke very highly of Steve's 10A preamp.  Marcus was powering a pair of Maggies IIRC.

Lkdog

« Reply #12 on: 8 Dec 2007, 02:01 am »
Hey all, thanks for the replies so far.  :thumb:  A couple of questions:

1) LKdog - Where can I get the Audio Mirror PP-1 for $850 new??  The link you supplied shows the new price as $1599? :scratch:

2) Tan - That Promitheus Audio Apollo looks sweet, but I don't think I have room for all those boxes on my rack.  Will a straight passive like the Promitheus TVC mate well with the Khartago, because I heard there may be issues with using a passive with Odyssey amps?

Email Vlad the owner.  contact@audiomirror.com
That is the retail list.
He runs ads through Audiogon quite a bit and he sells them for a lot less.

Do a few searches on it on AG and AA or here. It is pretty well liked.
The others mentioned here are also really well thought of.

Airborn

« Reply #13 on: 8 Dec 2007, 10:17 pm »
Email Vlad the owner.  contact@audiomirror.com
That is the retail list.
He runs ads through Audiogon quite a bit and he sells them for a lot less.
Duh...thanks Lkdog, I should have been able to figure that out myself... :duh:

Just based upon my reading up on the various options, I think I have it narrowed down to the Candela, the Mapletree Ultra 4A SE or the Audio Mirror PP-1.  All are highly recommended, come from reputable manufacturers, use tubes and have a built in phono stage.  I know I said before that was optional, but if I am getting a new pre, I figure I may as well upgrade my Cambridge Audio.  :D 

I am going to contact Klaus, Vlad and Dr. Lloyd and see about an audition and what they have to say about wait times for a new unit.  Thanks to the Odyssey circle for all the great feedback.  Now what about cables and ICs.... :jester:

Lkdog

« Reply #14 on: 8 Dec 2007, 10:26 pm »
If you get the Audio Mirror PP1, email me and I can give you a couple very cheap tweaks that improve the unit a bit, and also share my experience with tube rolling.

Good luck!

Cacophonix

« Reply #15 on: 9 Dec 2007, 12:56 am »
Just based upon my reading up on the various options, I think I have it narrowed down to the Candela, the Mapletree Ultra 4A SE or the Audio Mirror PP-1.  All are highly recommended, come from reputable manufacturers, use tubes and have a built in phono stage.  I know I said before that was optional, but if I am getting a new pre, I figure I may as well upgrade my Cambridge Audio.  :D 

Candela doesn't have phono built in. But you might want to check with klaus to see if he offers that upgrade.
I haven't heard the other ones on your list, but am mighty pleased with the candela.

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #16 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:36 am »
here is a belles preamp that is killer, http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?preatube&1200868372
i own one of these, you should be able to talk him down on the price. there are two more without the auricap upgrade for about $1000 on audiogon.

ecramer

• Volunteer
  • In time whats deserved always get served.
« Reply #17 on: 9 Dec 2007, 01:45 am »
I know there are two of us in the NY rave group that are using Rogue 99 pre's with good results I'm looking to replace my Rogue magnum 99 in the near future but not to sell but to set up a second system with it and a set Rogue  m150's

Airborn

« Reply #18 on: 9 Dec 2007, 06:21 am »
Candela doesn't have phono built in. But you might want to check with klaus to see if he offers that upgrade.
I thought I read somewhere the Candela had a phono stage as an option.  :scratch:  I'll have to call Klaus and see if its a possibility. :dunno:

Christof

« Reply #19 on: 10 Dec 2007, 02:44 am »
no phono stage on the Candela