99.9 silver plated
2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Voting closed: 5 Feb 2006, 02:32 am

Fave Odyssey faceplate color?

AJS

« on: 5 Feb 2006, 02:32 am »
This has no doubt been asked before on this forum. I'm just curious as to what are the most popular colors of the options that Klaus & Co. offers.

Does anyone wish they had ordered a different color than what they have now?

I'm debating between Silver anodize, Copper, Dark Blue, and Platinum for my Khartago Ex, so I'll vote for...I dunno...Copper!

So many pretty amps, so little time....*sigh*

Atol

« Reply #1 on: 5 Feb 2006, 06:26 am »
I definitely like black with silver as a close second. Nothing sexier than a brushed black/silver amplifier with a blaringly bright blue LED.  :D

AJS

« Reply #2 on: 5 Feb 2006, 06:41 am »
I dunno man - I personally am so sick of everything audio/video being black. It's hard to read, and doesn't have much "character" - very generic if you ask me. But black and silver's neutrality is something most people can use.  

Hey Klaus - if you would just start a business in which we could send our black components to you for anodization!  :beer:

:)

Digi-G

« Reply #3 on: 6 Feb 2006, 12:48 pm »
I thought black components were IT when they were first very popular (late 70's, early 80's, I guess).  I've had my share and agree they are very hard to read and the classic silver appeals to me more now.

I got the BLUE Stratos faceplate, mostly because I wanted something different.  While I like it, I think I'd opt for SILVER if I were to do it again.  Plus I think the lighted Blue Odyssey Logo would be better served with a lighter colored faceplate.

AJS

« Reply #4 on: 6 Feb 2006, 01:32 pm »
Yeah, silver components are making a comeback it seems. On the bright 'pilot lights' of the amps, I've been known to cover overly-bright faceplate lights with a tiny piece of tissue paper. If done right, it's unobtrusive.

Eduardo AAVM

« Reply #5 on: 6 Feb 2006, 09:17 pm »
Platinum is incredible and resembles  much of the german styling...

Silver and black are nice also.

Silver is good when it is metal but seeing cheap silver painted plastic caises is something I hate.

I have been very curious about the blue faceplates I thik theay are very nice too.

bunky

« Reply #6 on: 6 Feb 2006, 10:02 pm »
i think colors are pretty cool, but i have always opted for the basic black.

pfradale

« Reply #7 on: 7 Feb 2006, 08:37 am »
Black is understated; it pairs well with wood grains and tone. Black also meshes with most any decor yet looks muscular.

Would Darth Vader be as cool in bright blue?  I think not. ;)

vektro

Faceplate Colors
« Reply #8 on: 8 Feb 2006, 03:42 am »
I have the Extreme Monos in the purple and a HT-3 in the blue. I didn't know if I'd like the purple, but after having it for about a year, I think it's awesome. Really stands out and is something exotic and cool! The blue is a little on the teal side, but purple rules!!

gromonster

Faceplate color 'mix'!
« Reply #9 on: 14 Feb 2006, 04:18 am »
I'm expecting my first Odyssey piece this week.  I ordered the Tempest (non-extreme) about 4 weeks ago and Klaus sent it out Friday.  He did call me before sending it and told me he was out of black faceplates though and had a silver one that he would not charge me extra for.  The thing that kind of peaks my interest is that he said he was going to be leaving the black knobs on, which he said looks very interesting.  So in the interest of not wanting to wait however long it would take to get more black faceplates, I said go ahead and attach the silver one.  I expect I'll be upgrading to an Extreme eventually (hopefully within the year) and adding a Stratos to really get things started.  So if I don't like the silver/black combo, hopefully he'll just swap it out when he upgrades the preamp.

Looking forward to hearing and seeing the new unit!

Randy

« Reply #10 on: 14 Feb 2006, 04:39 am »
Somebody else here in the last year had a silver Tempest with black knobs or was it vice versa, silver on black.  Anyway he loved it.  Good luck with yours.

gromonster

« Reply #11 on: 14 Feb 2006, 03:33 pm »
Thanks.  I can't wait to enjoy the Odyssey experience.  I haven't even gotten the preamp and I'm about ready to call Klaus and order a Stratos to replace my Onkyo M-508 Grand Integra.  I've loved the amp since I got it in about '89, but think it really is time to come into musical maturity.

randog

« Reply #12 on: 17 Feb 2006, 04:29 pm »
I traded my silver faceplate for black. I really liked the silver, but I came to realize that it was a little overbearing based on the overall size of the stratos case. The faceplate is big and spartan and the silver just made it look too damn huge for my tastes. I had a black and silver side by side for awhile before I decided which I was gonna swap out. The black won hands down. I do love the options of other colors as well and would really like to see the copper in person.

Being a product guy, I've been contemplating making my own faceplates, especially since I have a pet peeve with power switches on the rear panel. I've been thinking of a front panel, possibly with some slight curvature to the edges and instead of the Odyssey window, having a round power switch (with a nice alum or ss button) sitting in the middle of a tilted ellipse (representing the Odyssey 'O'). The void between the tilted ellipse and the button would be a polycarbonate part that would light up when the power is on.

I know this will ruffle some feathers, and my apologies to Klaus, but I do think the faceplate is a little dated and could be changed without affecting cost.  :)

:bomb:

AJS

« Reply #13 on: 8 Apr 2006, 04:01 am »
Quote from: randog
I do love the options of other colors as well and would really like to see the copper in person.

I would also like to see the copper faceplate in-person. Seems like it would be quite nice.