Interest Check: Outriggers Group Buy for Ulysses Owners

LP1

I plan on purchasing a set of custom outriggers for my Ulysses manufactured by Soundotcity.com. These are a bit more expensive than Soundocity's stock outriggers, but I believe they are commensurate with the quality and finish of the Ulysses. The outriggers will appear similar to the ones in the photo in the following link:

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k220/jeffreybehr/Avanti%20IIIs/Withblkloknutwashr_1280h.jpg

Here are photos of Ulysses with the stock outriggers that appear on Soundocity's website:

http://soundocity.com/Daedalus%20Audio%20Ulysses%20with%20outriggers%202.jpg

http://soundocity.com/Daedalus%20Audio%20Ulysses%20with%20outriggers.jpg

The price will be discounted based on the number of buyers. Please let me know if you're interested. Thanks.

Evan

jriggy

Re: Interest Check: Outriggers Group Buy for Ulysses Owners
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2011, 10:07 pm »
I wish I could have interest but I have already purchased the outriggers a few months ago!  I am using the ones like Frank's in the Soundcity pics. Straight ends but with the nice looking 1.50" cones. sitting on Herbie's Decoupling Gliders also... Rock solid, yet easy to move and tweak placement if necessary.

Highly recommended.

Will2

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2011, 11:32 pm »
Hi Evan,

Nice idea - I'm likely to be interested.

Cheers
Will

jazdoc

« Reply #3 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:40 pm »
Definitely interested!!!

LP1

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2011, 04:51 pm »
Here are the prices, which include powder coating and shipping. The set includes 1" Thick 6061 Alum Outriggers with Steel Knobs and Brass Cones. The cones are available in brass with gold nickel or brass with black nickel plating. These are more substantial than the stock version.

Quantity   Unit Price   Total Amount
1       $659.33   $659.33
2        $544.28   $1,088.56
3        $514.12   $1,542.36
4        $474.88   $1,899.52
5        $460.48   $2,302.40

I realize that these are pricey, but relative to the price of the Ulysses, as well as the practical (i.e., ease of levelling) and sonic benefits (i.e., stability) of the outriggers, I believe they are a good value.

Let me know as I'd like to order soon. Thanks.

Evan

LP1

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2011, 01:47 pm »
Do we have a fourth? It gets us to a nicer price point.

jriggy

« Reply #6 on: 15 Jan 2011, 03:24 pm »
My Soundcity outriggers with the 1.50" gold nickel plated spikes are high quality and look very nice. Even the plastic knod does not look cheap, looks nice. I realize that doubling the cost of these is completely relative, and that smaller metal turn knob may be worh that extra cost to someone. BUT, Have you thought of the height you will be adding with this custom outrigger?

The standard outriggers with the 1.50" spikes, under glider cones, raises the stand of the Ulysses 2&1/4" off the carpet...

With this custom outrigger, using the 2.125" spike pictured, as well as the 1" thick outrigger, this could get you upwards to 3&1/4" to even 3&1/2" (depending on gliders or disks used) off the floor...

Something to consider?

LP1

« Reply #7 on: 15 Jan 2011, 05:08 pm »
That's a good point and think it's a question for Lou. I can say that my current aftermarket spikes (which don't make leveling the speakers any easier, nor do they provide much stability) raise my Ulysses at least 3" off the ground without any apparent sonic degradation.

Lou, any thoughts?

Thanks. Evan

LP1

« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2011, 06:10 pm »
P.S. For those who are concerned about the height, there are 1.5" cones available as well that will work on a wood floor or thin carpet. Probably a bit cheaper too!

Daedalus Audio

• Facilitator
    • http://www.daedalusaudio.com
« Reply #9 on: 16 Jan 2011, 05:42 pm »
My Soundcity outriggers with the 1.50" gold nickel plated spikes are high quality and look very nice. Even the plastic knod does not look cheap, looks nice. I realize that doubling the cost of these is completely relative, and that smaller metal turn knob may be worh that extra cost to someone. BUT, Have you thought of the height you will be adding with this custom outrigger?

The standard outriggers with the 1.50" spikes, under glider cones, raises the stand of the Ulysses 2&1/4" off the carpet...

With this custom outrigger, using the 2.125" spike pictured, as well as the 1" thick outrigger, this could get you upwards to 3&1/4" to even 3&1/2" (depending on gliders or disks used) off the floor...

Something to consider?
height will make a difference in bass & mid bass integration. adding the 1" outriggers with 1.5" spikes only changes the height by about 1", more than that and it 'may' change the sound. I make the speaker/base/stands in modules because to get the best it all has to match the room and that is a case by case situation.
my understanding is that Evan has a very thick carpet pad and needs these for better stability as well as to penetrate the pad.
thanks,
lou