Millersound speaker repairs

Occam

« on: 9 Jan 2006, 09:19 pm »
After 16yrs, the foam surrounds on my much beloved Alon IVs gave up the ghost. I called Carl Marchisotto at his new company, Nola (Alon spelled backwards) to order relacement wooffers, which he had offered at Alon. He no longer offered replacements for older Alon products, but curtly suggested that I contact Bill at Millersound in Pennsylvania. I called Bill and sent the woofs off to him with an order for the full boat.

I recieved my repaired woofers in 5 days. I'd not been overly optimistic when Bill had promised that the speakers with the repaired woofs would be better than original. My pessimism was unfounded, to say the least.

What I ordered was -
1. Replaced foam surrounds with the uncoated cone, coated @$35ea
2. Damping of the chassis with Dynamat Extreme @ $15ea
3. Dynamic balancing of the cones @ $20ea

What I recieved back, after mounting the woofs in their enclosures was a  better speaker than it ever was before.  It -
1. Offered a more articulate bass through lower midrange (the 12" woof crosses at 350hz) which I assume is due to the dampened chassis and cone.
2. Played louder without congestion which I assume is due to the dampened chassis and balanced cones. (The cones had 3-5 little pieces of dynamat stuck on the cones in the oddest places).
3. No loss of low level detail which is what attracted me to the Alons in the first place. Not only do they sound great at mid to high SPLs, but they really shine for late night listening at low levels where they maintain their excellent tonality, resolution, imaging, soundstaging, and extension.

The rejuventated woofers have been in the Alons for a week and a half. They seemed to break in very quickly. I am a very happy camper.  :D

Prior to posting this, I did a search on the Speaker Asylum. It seems that everyone (including manufacturers) have the same high regard for Bill at Millersound and his great repair work.

Yea, I know you can buy foam surround kits for $18-25 And you probably could have gotten the dynamat for $20. But frankly, I 'don't teach my grandmother to suck eggs'. I don't know how to replace surrounds, physical accuracy is always harder than one assumes, and I don't begrude experts their compensation. And besides, I think my rejuventated Alons are better than the originals.

Who could ask for anything more?
Very highly reccomended.

Contact -
Bill @ Millersound
Ph. (215) 412 - 7700

JoshK

« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2006, 09:32 pm »
Glad you got them back in order!

Kenobi

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2006, 10:36 pm »
Bills great.  I've dealt with him a few years back as he sells some great cabling alternative to JPS Labs for much more competitive pricing.

Regards,

Kenobi

Hogg

« Reply #3 on: 10 Jan 2006, 01:16 am »
Paul, you might find this interview from 6moons.com interesting.

http://www.6moons.com/industryfeatures/forbidden/forbidden_9.html

Nick B

« Reply #4 on: 10 Jan 2006, 02:19 am »
I've used the Millersound "JPS clone" cabling for about 8 years now and have been very satisfied. The sound quality was excellent as was the construction. Just for a change, I ordered all new cabling from Gregg Straley which should be in this week. I'm curious as to what the differences will be.

Occam

« Reply #5 on: 10 Jan 2006, 02:21 am »
Hogg,

Well dang, one things for certain, the man would never let me in his house. Completely carpeted in white????? Heck, he wouldn't even let me on his block. While he's got that Mac225 sitting on a pedastal, I've got my own Mac240 just sitting on the corner of a breakfront in the living room. (I actually much prefer to look at it rather than listen to it. But She Who Must Be Obeyed isn't overly entralled with my decorating predelictions.)

That was a good description of his dynamic balancing of ls cones. I feel lucky that he worked on my drivers. :), and its nice to know that others also feel his machinations yeild drivers better than original.  So, am I supposed to remove his address and phone # from my first post?

Many thanks for the link,
Paul

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #6 on: 10 Jan 2006, 06:48 am »
I am a very happy camper.
    Good to here that Paul !!![/list:u]
      Enjoy your "new" speakers....(whats old is new again).... :dance: [/list:u]
        Chris[/list:u]

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #7 on: 12 Jan 2006, 05:25 am »
I dropped by Occam's/Paul's this afternoon...to drop off a transport to him. Stayed for awhile to hear the "new" improved Alon's...sounded excellent !! Millersound did some job on those woofer's....bass was outstanding...clear, clean, powerful. Searched into his cd collection, found the Bela Fleck...turned up the volume, and let it rip...perfect !!! :rock:
    Have fun Paul....your system sounds like a million bucks now!!!! :bounce: [/list:u]
      Chris[/list:u]

CIAudio

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.ciaudio.com
« Reply #8 on: 12 Jan 2006, 08:21 am »
Bill Legall has done reconing/speaker work for me for many years...he's the best.

-Dusty-

suits_me

« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2006, 03:12 am »
I thought he did not like his contact information posted, preferring to work by word of mouth/osmosis.

Occam

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2006, 05:44 pm »
Suits-me - Your concern is appreciated. I did contact Bill and discussed the matter, and he is fine with the contact info. I removed the address to thwart larcenous scamps.  :o

suits_me

« Reply #11 on: 15 Jan 2006, 02:08 am »
Thanks. I must have misunderemembered again.