Super 7 Flat Packs.....

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
Re: Super 7 Flat Packs.....
« Reply #180 on: 24 Mar 2019, 08:29 pm »
So, after a marathon of painting, drying, mounting drivers, building crossovers, trouble shooting, etc they’re done!  Right away they’re already the best speakers I’ve ever owned!  Silky smooth and seamless.  They’re not even broken in and they sound fantastic!

GR Research Super 7 Monitor Kit

I did end up using the gaskets.

« Last Edit: 27 Mar 2019, 05:19 am by corndog71 »

Captainhemo

« Reply #181 on: 24 Mar 2019, 09:11 pm »
They look great  Rob  :thumb:
glad they went together  well for you

jay

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #182 on: 24 Mar 2019, 09:16 pm »
So, after a marathon of painting, drying, mounting drivers, building crossovers, trouble shooting, etc they’re done!  Right away they’re already the best speakers I’ve ever owned!  Silky smooth and seamless.  They’re not even broken in and they sound fantastic!

Welcome to the club!  And trust me, they just get better and better.

Nick77

« Reply #183 on: 27 Mar 2019, 01:46 pm »
I dont remember this question ever being asked??

I have the HX300 amplifier and 8 ohm drivers, is there a correction circuit available or is one necessary to build Super 7 using HX300??

Danny Richie

« Reply #184 on: 27 Mar 2019, 02:43 pm »
I dont remember this question ever being asked??

I have the HX300 amplifier and 8 ohm drivers, is there a correction circuit available or is one necessary to build Super 7 using HX300??

The HX300 amps have an added shelving circuit for the open baffle driver applications.

What you have will work for the bottom end.

Nick77

« Reply #185 on: 27 Mar 2019, 02:58 pm »
The HX300 amps have an added shelving circuit for the open baffle driver applications.

What you have will work for the bottom end.

Thanks Danny, that's great news. Hmmmmm decisions decisions..........   :thumb:

Is 14' x 18' room dimensions sufficient to handle these?

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #186 on: 27 Mar 2019, 04:41 pm »
Thanks Danny, that's great news. Hmmmmm decisions decisions..........   :thumb:

Is 14' x 18' room dimensions sufficient to handle these?

My room is really not ideal as it's essentially a dining room in a small apartment.  Nevertheless, they still sound amazing!

I'm going to be moving in the spring so hopefully I'll have a better room to put them in.

So to answer your question, yes, 14x18 is plenty of space for these.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #187 on: 27 Mar 2019, 05:15 pm »
I run mine in a dedicated space in the basement, 19 x 13 and they are awesome. 

SteveKi

« Reply #188 on: 29 Mar 2019, 01:06 am »

House  of Kolor  "tangerine

Jay,
That color is growing on me more and more... as a vehicle color too. I was going to go with British Racing Green. But there is a deep rich candy red I like.

Post a picture when they are together.  BTW how do you glue/clamp them without damaging the paint?
Steve

Captainhemo

« Reply #189 on: 29 Mar 2019, 02:37 am »
I run mine in a dedicated space in the basement, 19 x 13 and they are awesome.

Hey Steve
When we went to pick up the parts from our painter, he  was all  over the same thing... he is dying to paint  a  car in this color  now.
It's  growing on me  me   too, the more  I see it, the more  I  like it .... and in the sun it's   insane. 
We're Likely going to use a  high quality clear  silicone to glue the painted  surfaces with wood glue onthe  wooden dowels  into bare wood dowel holes. I know  someone who did the same   with pre-painted cabs andit worked very well.  clamping will  be an excercise in using caution.... only enough presure to seat   things and  no more.  Will likely cut up some micro-weave fiber to wrap around the clamps as well.

I'll for sure post  pics

jay

AKLegal

« Reply #190 on: 29 Mar 2019, 12:10 pm »
Looking forward to pics of the construction process using silicone. 

Captainhemo

« Reply #191 on: 9 Apr 2019, 05:01 pm »
Packing  a couple of the  full kits this week.

For anyone looking for  magnets for these kits   
https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=D66-N52

for the monitor version, you'll need  16 , for the  full  S7 kit you'll need 32.
There are some lower grades for a  less  $ but they  don't  have enough  pull force,  use the  N52's

jay

Captainhemo

« Reply #192 on: 13 Apr 2019, 07:01 pm »
Here's a  couple  updated pics of the pair we're building out here. Waiting on Neotech UPOCC wire then will build out networks and wire everything  up.Will  post more   when  we are  done...

First  2 full  flat packs are boxed  and ready to ship  this coming week

jay
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2019, 03:44 pm by Captainhemo »

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #193 on: 14 Apr 2019, 04:48 am »
Jay,
How did it go gluing the pre-painted flat pack together?  What adhesive did you use?
Jeff

Captainhemo

« Reply #194 on: 14 Apr 2019, 04:11 pm »
Jay,
How did it go gluing the pre-painted flat pack together?  What adhesive did you use?
Jeff

Hey Jeff
Went fairly well,  a bit more organized withthe 2nd cab.

we laid one wing on it's side  on top of a nice soft blanket. then we cleaned out all the dowel holes with an 8mm bit. did the same   with the dowel holes on the  edges of the  main baffle,  the rear sub sub-asembly, and the front brace.  We then glued all the dowels in to the  baffle, sub-assembly, and  brace with  wood glue   and laid out  a nice layer of clear silicone on all the surfaces of the wing  that   would recieve   the parts.  finally we   added a  drop of wood glue to each dowel hole in the wing.
Next  we  positioned all the  parts into the corresponding dowel holes.
When we did the 2nd  wing,  we did it the opposite to prevent  glue drips... we glued the  dowels into the wing and then added a drop of glue to each  hole inthe   parts .  Applied silicone to  al lthe  joing areas of the   parts and  positioned the  1 nd wing.

We stood the cabinet up on it's base with dowels  and  clamped it in numerous spots,  just  tight  enough to   keep it all scinched up. We used cardboard and  pieces of a  micro weave cloth  around each clamp to protect the paint.

Anoversight on my part,  I didn't add screw holes tothe  base nor the  bottom edge of the wings  like I've done with out  other flat packs.   the first couple pairs  going out won't have them but  I'm going to make an adjustment to all subsequent packs so that in addition to  the 4  dowels, each  base will also have  4 couinter sunk screws.
jay

Hear Clifford Brown

« Reply #195 on: 14 Apr 2019, 04:18 pm »
Thanks for the thorough explanation Jay. Sounds fairly simple, at least for an experienced wood worker like your self.

pk

« Reply #196 on: 15 Apr 2019, 10:05 am »
Hi Captainhemo,

Could you please give me the dimensions of the baffel for the monitor version? Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

Here is the monitor version  with a  base that is located between the  wings via a couple of dowels in each wing. Left it  simple so folks who don't  want  something  more abstract aren't left out.... if people want tsomething more, they can easily modify  the included bases to  something  that  suits them.

Here a couple   with  the front  grill frame/cloth in place

From front of wing to  rear of  base is just shy of 14"  ( depth of a  dual sub cab with no overhang).
Hang  on for pricing,   I'll  notify when I can

jay

RoadTripper

« Reply #197 on: 15 Apr 2019, 01:32 pm »
What kind of tool complement am I going to need to put mine together?

Captainhemo

« Reply #198 on: 15 Apr 2019, 03:55 pm »
Hi Captainhemo,

Could you please give me the dimensions of the baffel for the monitor version? Thanks!

Best regards
Peter

Just over  27.5"  (at  center of  top)  x 13" x 1".
Then you  have  a  1.25"  wing/side panel on  either  side.

What kind of tool complement am I going to need to put mine together?

Well,  you're going to need a number of clamps,  I would recommend  at minimum 8  that will open  at  leat  13" as well as  a few shorter ones you  can use to clamp  the inner sub walls/side panels at time of glue up.  More is  always  better.

For the full kit, you'll need 32  3/8x3/8 N52 cylinder magnets  as  I posted  above (link there).
You'll need a long punch of some sort  to  push the magnets ( way down into the braces and into the rear of the baffle ( these are not nearly as deep).
A hammer or rubber mallet of some sort for the above and to be sure  dowels are  seated... be gentle on the dowels.

Various grits of sandpaper,   get a few sheets of  120, 220, and 320 /devent flat  sanding block.  A couple of those  foam sanding blocks are  handy for  working the   roundovers.   How much  a person does  with regards to prep will  greatly influence  the finished cabinets.

Wood glue  and either  a small bottle of CA or  something  like  Gorilla  Glue  for magnet installation.

Another person   to help  with glue up  when the time comes

One of these days I'll post  a couexploded views , one of the  sub assembly,  one of the  full assembly to   help with  construction.

jay

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #199 on: 15 Apr 2019, 05:13 pm »
Jay,

What radii roundovers did you use on the outside and inside of the side wings?

Mike