Volex vs. Groneberg power cords used on my CIA D200

pugs

Volex vs. Groneberg power cords used on my CIA D200
« on: 11 Sep 2006, 11:52 pm »
I just swapped out Groneberg power cords with Volex on my CIA D200's  The difference is very nice.  Music seems more real, everything tightened up considerably, and detail is better.  I tried the Volex cords a couple of months ago, but they seemed to make the music too bright for my taste.  The Gronebergs tamed the brightness producing more of a warm sound.

Lately my system has seemed a little too warm and laid back for me with loose bass, so I thought I would give the Volex cords another try.  I'm glad I did.  They pretty much improved everything across the board with no negative effects.

My system:

Salk HT3
Modwright SWL 9.0SE
RWA SB3
Reality IC's and speaker cables
CIA D200

GHM

Re: Volex vs. Groneberg power cords used on my CIA D200
« Reply #1 on: 11 Sep 2006, 11:57 pm »
Cool  :thumb:..at the moment the Volex are the only power cords I use on my gear. I doubt I'll be changing to anything else. They do the job just fine.

Good listening :D

koiman

« Reply #2 on: 12 Sep 2006, 12:03 am »
Pugs,
I'm glad to hear your experiences because I have a pair of Channel Island D-200 on there way along with a pair of volex power cords to go with my Salk HT 3's and Modwright SWL 9.0 SE Pre amp.

Lee :lol:

bacobits1

« Reply #3 on: 12 Sep 2006, 12:15 am »
I too use nothing but the Volex (Asylum formula) cords, Cryoed.
It takes a good long time to break them in.
And I doubt I will change to anything else because of the stupid costs.

Den 

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
« Reply #4 on: 12 Sep 2006, 06:05 pm »
I agree the Volex is a nice for the price power cord and I've had them in my system for the past year.  I just finished building up and burning in a VHAudio Flavor 1 and it did offer a noticeable improvement over the Volex on my DIY UcD amp.  Opened up the soundstage quite nicely.

If you're willing and able to build them yourself, power cables using the VHAudio wire are a solid performance step up from the Volex cables for a reasonable price.  By skipping the boutique connectors I was able to build up a 1m Flavor 1 power cable for under $40 in parts.

Russ

EProvenzano

« Reply #5 on: 12 Sep 2006, 07:26 pm »
I agree the Volex is a nice for the price power cord and I've had them in my system for the past year.  I just finished building up and burning in a VHAudio Flavor 1 and it did offer a noticeable improvement over the Volex on my DIY UcD amp.  Opened up the soundstage quite nicely.

If you're willing and able to build them yourself, power cables using the VHAudio wire are a solid performance step up from the Volex cables for a reasonable price.  By skipping the boutique connectors I was able to build up a 1m Flavor 1 power cable for under $40 in parts.

Russ

I don't have any experience with Volex cords, but I've built VH Audio recipies for a few years.  I agree with your take on these recipies.

Here's a pic of one from my gallery:

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=15&pos=15

These are easy to build and require no soldering with the terminations I used (Marinco and Schuler).  I agree that these terminations can be more $ but for an extra $10.00 spent, the job is quick and easy.  I think the total parts cost for these was $50.00.

HumanMedia

« Reply #6 on: 3 Oct 2006, 01:26 am »
I 'third' the DIY VHAudio power cables.  For both UcD amps and the Modwright 9.0 SWL. (I have both)