HT1 Specs

jhm731

HT1 Specs
« on: 5 Mar 2007, 11:43 pm »
I don't see any HT1 specs on the website, does anyone know the
Sensitivity (dB/2.83v/1M)? Is it a 4 or 8 ohm load?

Thanks.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
Re: HT1 Specs
« Reply #1 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:06 am »
I don't see any HT1 specs on the website, does anyone know the
Sensitivity (dB/2.83v/1M)? Is it a 4 or 8 ohm load?

Jim and I are always reluctant to publish these specs because they have almost no meaning as they are usually reported.  Sensitivity ratings are commonly at least 2-3 dB too optimistic, because they are taken at 1 kHz where many speakers have a peak caused by insufficient baffle step compensation.  As for impedance, most 2-way designs like the HT1 will have an impedance profile that fluctuates widely across the frequency spectrum.  This variation can easily be 20 db over and above the "nominal" figure that is given, and there will almost always be narrow frequency regions where the impedance falls below the nominal rating.  Over most of its range, the HT1 impedance is about 8 ohms.  But it rises sharply below the crossover region and dips to about 6 ohms a little above the crossover point.  I think an honest rating for the HT1's sensitivity would be 85-86 dB.  It's a medium-sensitivity speaker.

ctviggen

« Reply #2 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:29 pm »
I always wondered why (or, heck, even how) speaker manufacturers assigned 4 or 8 ohms to a speaker when there's always a varying impedance curve, including at least one peak.   Perhaps a minimum and maximum would be a better indicator. 

BradJudy

« Reply #3 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:56 pm »
The best, IMO, is to just post an impedance graph, but I think many folks are afraid that potential customers will be unable to interpret such a graph or do so incorrectly.  I think high-end customers can handle that level of data.  The company can always provide some text to help explain the data as well.

ctviggen

« Reply #4 on: 6 Mar 2007, 01:58 pm »
I agree with you.  Some companies do publish this info; others don't.

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #5 on: 6 Mar 2007, 02:46 pm »
Sensitivity ratings are commonly at least 2-3 dB too optimistic, because they are taken at 1 kHz where many speakers have a peak caused by insufficient baffle step compensation.

It sure would be nice if those lazy bureaucrats in Washington DC could establish some sort of industry standard in this regard  :scratch:.  I think that a pink noise spl measurement would be very good, but using brown noise would really put the clamps on those spl advertising "cheaters" who target a 1khz peak for their sensitivity rating.

Probably equally important is establishing some standard concerning the "nominal" impedance rating. I have seen numerous speakers having @3ohms dcr in the bass region that advertise an 8 ohm nominal impedance.  This is wrong, wrong, wrong :nono:.

Does anyone here have connections the audio standards realm?

Dave

jhm731

« Reply #6 on: 6 Mar 2007, 04:29 pm »
Jim and I are always reluctant to publish these specs because they have almost no meaning as they are usually reported.  Sensitivity ratings are commonly at least 2-3 dB too optimistic, because they are taken at 1 kHz where many speakers have a peak caused by insufficient baffle step compensation.  As for impedance, most 2-way designs like the HT1 will have an impedance profile that fluctuates widely across the frequency spectrum.  This variation can easily be 20 db over and above the "nominal" figure that is given, and there will almost always be narrow frequency regions where the impedance falls below the nominal rating.  Over most of its range, the HT1 impedance is about 8 ohms.  But it rises sharply below the crossover region and dips to about 6 ohms a little above the crossover point.  I think an honest rating for the HT1's sensitivity would be 85-86 dB.  It's a medium-sensitivity speaker.

Thanks for the information.

If "Jim and I are always reluctant to publish these specs because they have almost no meaning as they are usually reported,"  then why post specs for the HT3 on the website and not the other models?

« Last Edit: 6 Mar 2007, 05:00 pm by jhm731 »

David Ellis

• http://www.ellisaudio.com
« Reply #7 on: 6 Mar 2007, 04:43 pm »
then post specs for the HT3 on the website and not the other models?

IMO, the commercially marketed spec's for Jim's speaker would be

87db/v sensitivity
30hz F3
8 ohm nominal sensitivity.

Unfortunately, what Dennis is conveying comes from a HUGE knowledge base regarding this issue.  Dennis, ahem, is THE buruocrat in the big city that regulates such matters.  I consider him "The Godfather".  As such, his conveyance regarding the specs comes from a professor's podium of truth regarding this issue.  Dennis is being very honest by conveying these specifications are vague at best.  As such it is more honest not to post them in detail.

Dave

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #8 on: 6 Mar 2007, 06:30 pm »
Well, I'm certainly a bureaucrat.  And probably lazy (but not about crossovers).  Although the rather sad state of affairs concerning impedance and sensitivity specs is certainly frustrating to speaker lovers, the honest truth is that the problem isn't significant enough to justify expenditure of the FTC's resources.  We're kind of up to our ears in blatant fraud and privacy issues.  Jim and I haven't discussed how or whether we should supply additional specs for the Veracity line.  So I won't say anything further about that.

WEEZ

« Reply #9 on: 6 Mar 2007, 07:03 pm »
To expand on Dennis Murphy's post regarding sensitivity ratings being 2-3db too optimistic...I've read tests on speakers where the difference is 4-6db less than stated.  :? And that was "averaged' in a range from approx. 300hz to 3khz  :o.

I agree with Dave regarding impedence, also. A speaker that dips to 3 ohms in the bass region has no business being called an 8 ohm speaker. That is really mis-leading.  :nono:

At the same time, there seems to be a misunderstanding out there regarding sensitivity. By that I mean, the assumption that an 85db speaker, for example, needs a behemoth of an amplifier isn't necessarily true. Doesn't it depend on the size of the driver the amp is trying to control? Not to mention impedence; room size; and all the rest....?

WEEZ

jsalk

« Reply #10 on: 7 Mar 2007, 01:28 am »
Well, Dennis expressed some of our misgivings about "specs."  But the flip side of the coin is that we try to be responsive. 

And since there seems to be some demand for HT1 specifications, I added a link to them on the HT1 main page.  http://www.salksound.com/HT1.html  You will find the link in about the fourth paragraph from the top.

Happy reading!

- Jim

jhm731

« Reply #11 on: 7 Mar 2007, 01:56 am »
Well, Dennis expressed some of our misgivings about "specs."  But the flip side of the coin is that we try to be responsive. 

And since there seems to be some demand for HT1 specifications, I added a link to them on the HT1 main page.  http://www.salksound.com/HT1.html  You will find the link in about the fourth paragraph from the top.

Happy reading!

- Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the info, and thanks for your time on the phone today.