12" woofer needed

versus rider

12" woofer needed
« on: 16 Nov 2010, 08:12 pm »
 As nobody replied to my request for an 8" driver to run from 200Hz to 800Hz in open baffle maybe someone can suggest a 12"

JohnR

Re: 12" woofer needed
« Reply #1 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:07 pm »
Lambda/Acoustic Elegance TD12M?

nullspace

« Reply #2 on: 16 Nov 2010, 11:08 pm »
I've had good luck with the ToneTubby 12" AlNiCo driver on open baffle to cover 150-1200Hz.

richidoo

« Reply #3 on: 17 Nov 2010, 12:59 am »
I have 4 of the AE Dipole 12s. Love em.  Extremely detailed, good punch even in 16" wide baffle. I sometimes listen to them by themselves while working on the XO, they play very high.  Use a very good speaker wire with these.   They are large paper, so there will be some color when you go up into the midrange. Depends on what you mate it to. A paper full range might match OK. I run mine only to 110Hz.   But they are crystal clear with boost down very low.

For 200-800 I'd go with something smaller for better dispersion and less color. If you are going active crossover, then something like Scan Illuminator or SEAS W18 or W22 like used in Orion will give you extremely low coloration and state of the art linearity, but they aren't high sensitivity enough for passive crossover in OB, IMO. If you need high sensitivity for a passive crossover then John's suggestion is a good one, AE M series, or their new Dipole 8 designed for OB. An 8" is plenty big for that range, and giving you 2 octaves on either side for crossovers.
Rich

JohnR

« Reply #4 on: 17 Nov 2010, 08:05 am »
Good point Rich - I'd forgotten about the new drivers from AE.

To versus rider - perhaps if you said more about what you're trying to accomplish it would help the discussion.

versus rider

« Reply #5 on: 17 Nov 2010, 06:57 pm »
sorry guys and thanks also. I have open baffles with Eminence Alpha' s and an 8", I'd call it a widerange as it goes to 18KHz. I have run these for a while and have now added a 400Hz tractrix horn and 1000Hz tractrix horn. The 400Hz horn works well down to 700Hz and rolls off at 6.5KHz, the 1000Hz horn works from there up to 30KHz. I love the Eminence Alpha bass and the 8" works well from 200Hz to 800Hz but i was thinking to mount another driver in an open box, kind of semi open baffle with the hf horn mounted above it in the baffle and the mid horn mounted on top, leaving the existing baffles with the Eminence Alpha and 8" driver intact and along side the new box with horns.

This is the temporary set up.

JohnR

« Reply #6 on: 18 Nov 2010, 07:25 am »
Well... um, if it were me I'd suggest trying another 8" before the arrangement you suggest above. I guess that takes us back to the other thread  :scratch: Rich suggested the AE 8" driver, the B200 is popular, PHL might be worth looking into, as might B&C. Perhaps in this case it might be you educating us ;)

versus rider

« Reply #7 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:11 pm »
the main purpose of the open box is to mount the mid horn atop the baffle and the  hf horn in the baffle. Another 8" or possibly a 10" or 12" is to supplement the existing 8". The other purpose of another 8" etc is to be able to use the horns without the 15" bass when I take it to a friends place, I cannot take the open baffles as well due to limited  space in the motorhome, where we will have the choice of adding his bass speakers to the mix or not.

versus rider

« Reply #8 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:15 pm »
on the subject of the suggested drivers and may I say thanks guys for making the effort, I found some have low qts while those with a decent qts had low spl, which won't do really given the spl of the horns.