Something new that sounds incredible

jparkhur

Re: Something new that sounds incredible
« Reply #320 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:46 pm »
Why do these look different from start to end?   Seems like the top end is 5 db down..??? 

The right one is last total measurement and the left one is the first measurement taken?

Early B.

« Reply #321 on: 5 Sep 2014, 01:47 pm »
Guys, if you use an inline RCA filter to roll off the lows then these things will handle some pretty solid SPL's with no problem.

And keep in mind these things almost hit a 94db average output with just 1 watt.

If you do some simple math you can get some numbers.

For every time you double power you get 3 more db. So 2 watts hits 97. 4 watts hits 100. 8 watts hits 103. 16 watts hits 106. 32 watts hits 109. 

Each little woofer is just rated to handle 30 watts. So times 4 is 120 watts of power.

Now add a second speaker and add 6 more db.

Then as you double distance away from the speakers you loose 6db. So at 2 meters you go down 6db and at 4 meters you'd be down 12db. 4 meters is 13.12 feet.

I believe what the Captain and I are asking is not about loudness, per se, but more about "fullness." For example, a 10" subwoofer can fill a medium sized room, but a 15 incher will do the same thing with more power and authority. We merely seeking assurance that the Wedgies won't sound thin in a medium or large room, even with a sub.

Here's what might help -- I don't know how to compute the math, but is four 3" drivers roughly equivalent to say, one 6" driver? 

ebag4

« Reply #322 on: 5 Sep 2014, 02:09 pm »
This is the response from Danny when I asked a similar question earlier in this thread?:

Danny, how would these compare with the coax of the V1?  Would the music still have the same weight from 200Hz and up?

These sound much faster then the V-1 drivers and way more detailed. Vocals especially just make you take a double take. Smooth, airy, natural, and musical. 

Most of that weight is going to come from the servo woofers playing up to that 200Hz range. I am playing it now with one of the sub towers of the LSX speakers and it sounds solid from top to bottom.

baniels

« Reply #323 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:01 pm »
Guys,

Thanks for all the PM's. So far 5 have expressed there interest.

I am going to make a batch of the kits this weekend. Give me a little more time on the price... the post-cutting labor is a lot greater with these vs the LGK's. I want to get through one or two sheets worth and get a better measure of the time.

Early B.

« Reply #324 on: 5 Sep 2014, 03:59 pm »
Danny -- where will the crossover be placed? Will it be contained in a separate box?

Danny Richie

« Reply #325 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:52 pm »
Why do these look different from start to end?   Seems like the top end is 5 db down..??? 

The right one is last total measurement and the left one is the first measurement taken?

The one on the left was taken with an input greater than 1 watt, and it was a measurement of the drivers playing full range with no crossover.

Danny Richie

« Reply #326 on: 5 Sep 2014, 06:53 pm »
Danny -- where will the crossover be placed? Will it be contained in a separate box?

In the wedged area right behind the drivers.

Vedder323

• vinyl reviews and more, check out Newrecordday.com
    • New Record Day
« Reply #327 on: 8 Sep 2014, 01:20 pm »
Looked around on the thread, did I miss tentative pricing for the kit or flat packs?

Early B.

« Reply #328 on: 8 Sep 2014, 02:39 pm »
Looked around on the thread, did I miss tentative pricing for the kit or flat packs?

Kit and flat pack pricing hasn't been determined yet.

Danny Richie

« Reply #329 on: 8 Sep 2014, 04:52 pm »
Kit and flat pack pricing hasn't been determined yet.

I have a parts total. I am just waiting on Ben for a flat pack price.

Danny Richie

« Reply #330 on: 9 Sep 2014, 10:20 pm »
The numbers are in from Ben.

All drivers, crossover parts, screws, wire, solder, tube connectors, heat shrink, plans, support, flat pack, and shipping on the flat pack all comes in at $799.

Yes, the total came to that number to the dollar.

And that is with all Sonicaps, a Mills resistor, and the Erse XQ perfect lay inductors. So all the good stuff...  :thumb:

ebag4

« Reply #331 on: 9 Sep 2014, 11:02 pm »

All drivers, crossover parts, screws, wire, solder, tube connectors, heat shrink, plans, support, flat pack, and shipping on the flat pack all comes in at $799.

And that is with all Sonicaps, a Mills resistor, and the Erse XQ perfect lay inductors. So all the good stuff...  :thumb:

Email sent! :thumb:

Captainhemo

« Reply #332 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:07 am »

Is there still avaiability on the platinum bypass caps for the  high pass circuit ?  Did you happen to  have them in  the  test pair  of  wedgies ?  I'd think they'd be a worthwhile upgrade

Ed,  I can see you grinning from here,  your wait is over !!

-jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #333 on: 10 Sep 2014, 12:11 am »
Is there still avaiability on the platinum bypass caps for the  high pass circuit ?  Did you happen to  have them in  the  test pair  of  wedgies ?  I'd think they'd be a worthwhile upgrade

Ed,  I can see you grinning from here,  your wait is over !!

-jay

There is just one cap in the tweeter circuit. So to by-pass it with a Platinum is only $36 per speaker. Yeah, that would be worth it.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #334 on: 10 Sep 2014, 01:31 am »
How many caps are there total in each speaker?

What other type of upgrades would be possible?

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #335 on: 10 Sep 2014, 01:59 am »
How many caps are there total in each speaker?

What other type of upgrades would be possible?

Mike

Only two caps on each speaker.

For this application I would stick with Sonicaps and just by-pass the Sonicap Platinum's in the tweeter circuit.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #336 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:14 am »
Danny,

Do foil inductors make any difference? I don't recall seeing any recommendations for foil inductors on any of you speakers even though you offer them on your web site.

Mike

Danny Richie

« Reply #337 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:40 am »
Danny,

Do foil inductors make any difference? I don't recall seeing any recommendations for foil inductors on any of you speakers even though you offer them on your web site.

Mike

They do, but it is not much, and most don't have a system that allows it to be noticed. Cost is quite a bit more though.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #338 on: 10 Sep 2014, 02:54 am »
OK,

Thanks

Mike

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #339 on: 10 Sep 2014, 08:12 pm »
Will Ben be shipping the flat packs direct?