HT3 dumb question

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
HT3 dumb question
« on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:31 am »
What would happen if you used the accuton mid with the raal tweet in the HT3 enclosure? Heck throw the high extention 10" woofer in too.

??????????

Big Red Machine

Re: HT3 dumb question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Jul 2011, 12:57 am »
You would have a Soundscape w/o the open baffle.

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #2 on: 26 Jul 2011, 04:15 am »
You would have a Soundscape w/o the open baffle.

Not quite.  The HT3 and the SoundScape10 use exactly the same woofer.  The only difference is in the box tuning method.  The HT3 uses a conventional bass reflex tuning that takes useful bass response down to around 29-30 Hz.  The SS10 uses Jeff Bagby's passive radiator system, which adds another 10 Hz to the bass extension.   

Vulcan00

• SEM Micrograph of Dendritic Structure
« Reply #3 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:27 pm »
Not quite.  The HT3 and the SoundScape10 use exactly the same woofer.  The only difference is in the box tuning method.  The HT3 uses a conventional bass reflex tuning that takes useful bass response down to around 29-30 Hz.  The SS10 uses Jeff Bagby's passive radiator system, which adds another 10 Hz to the bass extension.   

Dennis:

Would this require additional crossover work?

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #4 on: 26 Jul 2011, 05:52 pm »
Oooooh  Yeahhhh.  A completely new crossover.  And I couldn't promise that the Accuton version would sound better than the W18. 

TomW16

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jul 2011, 10:29 pm »
This reminds me of when Dennis designed a crossover to add a woofer to my Ellis 1801s and the only part of the original crossover that I could reuse was a single resistor.

The speakers are still sounding amazing Dennis!

Thanks.
Tom

DMurphy

• Industry Participant
    • SalkSound
« Reply #6 on: 26 Jul 2011, 11:03 pm »
This reminds me of when Dennis designed a crossover to add a woofer to my Ellis 1801s and the only part of the original crossover that I could reuse was a single resistor.

The speakers are still sounding amazing Dennis!

Thanks.
Tom

That resistor must have been an oversight.  I can't say as I remember anything about this project, but I'm glad it worked out.   What was the woofer? 

TomW16

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jul 2011, 01:51 am »
Hi Dennis,

The woofer is a now discontinued 10" Peerless that I believe you also used for the MB0W1 3-way at one time.  It certainly did work out wonderfully  :thumb:

Cheers,
Tom