New member intro

thamatwerk

New member intro
« on: 21 Feb 2020, 09:15 am »
Hello all, I'm a new member - started listening to music through expensive equipment in the late 80's.  I stopped listening for 20 years at the turn of the 21st century but recently found time to pickup the hobby again... feels good to be back!

Best wishes,
Tham

FullRangeMan

• Facilitator
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: New member intro
« Reply #1 on: 21 Feb 2020, 09:20 am »
Welcome Tham :thumb:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #2 on: 21 Feb 2020, 01:00 pm »
Welcome!

Everyone has a different definition of "expensive".  Would you compare to net worth, annual income, percentage of discretionary income, sacrificial spending of necessities/other luxuries, how much the average person on the planet has to live on, or just spending to a level of ethnical "discomfort"?

I find expensive gear is rarely enjoyable due to buyer's remorse looming over my personal upbringing as reflected in the above objections.  And what makes up most of the expense has little to do with sound quality (like thick machined faceplates, fancy veneers, or elaborate marketing).  OTOH there is a surprising number who have deep pockets versus those of us living in the "real" western world.  And then there's the lack of a fantastic room.  I put importance on the room (and feel that the large majority overspend on gear for the given room).  I'd say my room is better than what 99% of audiophiles have but it's not close to the ultimate. 

A couple of years ago came into some unexpected money, so did a controlled splurge on audio gear.  Found the diminishing return on sound quality, extra complexity, and those nagging objections not satisfying.  So bailed out and returned to simpler roots where I'm much more comfortable and better informed, although the lesson wasn't cheap. 

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #3 on: 21 Feb 2020, 02:14 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Tham   :thumb:

Phil A

« Reply #4 on: 21 Feb 2020, 02:54 pm »
Welcome!

Wind Chaser

« Reply #5 on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:32 pm »
Hi Tham,

Welcome to Audio Circle. :D

eso

« Reply #6 on: 21 Feb 2020, 03:38 pm »
Welcome!

Maine_Capt

« Reply #7 on: 21 Feb 2020, 05:49 pm »
Hi Tham welcome aboard. I'm also a new member. I think we are going to like this place. :)

Jim
Maine_Capt

thamatwerk

« Reply #8 on: 21 Feb 2020, 05:59 pm »
@JLM, yeah, expensive is indeed relative.  What I had the fortune to listen to was the Yamaha B-1 paired with Fried's IMF Reference Standard Mk.4 monitors and some unknown (to me) record player.  I was taught to critically listen to orchestral music and back then I had the chance to visit the orchestra often, with student tickets.  In fact the principal cellist of the orchestra of that city coerced the owner of the system to sell that system to him in case he wanted to sell them in the future. I later found out that those were all flagship models in eighties and were not inexpensive.