Any HT2-TL upgrades available?

bretonsound

Any HT2-TL upgrades available?
« on: 4 Jul 2019, 07:08 pm »
Jim, I’ve enjoyed my Veracity HT2-TL speakers now for 10 years. I’m curious if you have made any upgrades to this model and if so are any upgrades available? If they are what sonic changes would I hear. My system consists of an ARC VS115 amp, ARC LS27 preamp, VPI Classic with a Soundsmith Sussurro cartridge, a SUT from Bob’s Devices, an ARC PH3-SE phono pre, Oppo BDP 95 and Cambridge Audio 840C CD player. I’ve had this current set up for almost 10 years now and am beginning to suffer from upgraditous.

Rocket

Re: Any HT2-TL upgrades available?
« Reply #1 on: 5 Jul 2019, 12:08 pm »
Hi,

Which tweeter do you have?  I presume the LCY ribbon tweeter?

I've bought a pair of Salk Sound Song 3's here in Perth, Western Australia (lucky me) and the RAAL top end is very good.  So natural sounding.

Cheers Rod

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 5 Jul 2019, 04:24 pm »
I think the HT2-TL with the RAAL tweeter is close to the perfect speaker so my upgrade was to add a used REL Gibraltar G2 Sub, now I get tight bass into the high teens. Even though the HT2-TL's go down to 34 Hz you would be surprised how much music has low level information below what the Salk's can do. The sound stage opens up and music now sounds effortless with no limits.

You could always commission an ultra-high end crossover with expensive Duelund caps but I think the changed sound would be more of a tweak than the revelation a high quality fast sub woofer would bring to the party for about the same price.

A budget upgrade would to line the inside of the cabinet with No Rez. My speakers have a DIY version of No Rez (2 layers of floor tile with open cell foam) but I never did an A-B comparison with and without so I honestly can not tell you if it works, but it didn't hurt. My speakers arrived raw, without drivers so it was easy to do while everything was apart and Danny at GR Research loves No Rez.

Hydro

« Reply #3 on: 5 Jul 2019, 10:03 pm »
I heard a good difference in my Ht-2's when I put vibration isolators between the spikes and the cabinet. Zoro part #G0840847.

WGH

« Reply #4 on: 5 Jul 2019, 11:14 pm »
I use the Herbie's Cone/Spike Decoupling Glider, pricey but pretty.

Never heard the HT2-TL's without the Herbie's in my new house, didn't want to scratch the wood floor.

bretonsound

« Reply #5 on: 6 Jul 2019, 05:46 pm »

My HT2-TL does have the LCY tweeter. Has anyone had their LCY tweeter upgraded to the RAAL? It doesn’t look so straight forward. I also have the giant gliders from Herbie under my speakers. As I stated earlier I’m exploring possible tweaks or upgrades. A friend of mine recently let me borrow his Daedalus Ulysses speakers and I liked what I heard from the higher efficiency speakers. A lot more detail but a lot more pricey as well. My first attempt at loading a photo, hopefully it works.

srb

« Reply #6 on: 6 Jul 2019, 09:40 pm »
Well, actually, we could do an upgrade.  We wouldn't need to replace the front baffle.  It turns out that the LCY has a 110mm round faceplate and the RAAL has a 110mm square faceplate.  We would have to take the cabinets in, re-route the front baffle and replace both the tweeters and the crossovers.  So it would be expensive, but it can be done.  As to whether or not it would be worth it, that is a question I can't answer.  I probably wouldn't if the speakers were mine.

- Jim

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 7 Jul 2019, 01:08 am »

My HT2-TL does have the LCY tweeter. Has anyone had their LCY tweeter upgraded to the RAAL? It doesn’t look so straight forward. I also have the giant gliders from Herbie under my speakers. As I stated earlier I’m exploring possible tweaks or upgrades. A friend of mine recently let me borrow his Daedalus Ulysses speakers and I liked what I heard from the higher efficiency speakers. A lot more detail but a lot more pricey as well. My first attempt at loading a photo, hopefully it works.

I remember owners asking about replacing the LCY with the RAAL.  I don’t exactly remember the response from Jim Salk, but essentially it wasn’t simple and not worth the effort.

I’d guess it would require a new front baffle and crossover?

Hydro

« Reply #8 on: 7 Jul 2019, 01:46 am »
Jim said the crossover is totally different and there isn't enough room for the RAAL between the woofers. I have had my HT-2's set up right next to my SS-10's and there isn't enough difference between the two tweeters to warrant a change. The wave guide actually makes the tweeter sound better than the RAAL in my Supercharged Song Towers. Putting the Zoro feet under the speakers made them really come alive. I have used the Herbie sliders on speakers that I couldn't use vibration isolators and they helped but no where near the results of isolators. I have had the HT-2's on a suspended wooden floor so it probably helps more than if it was on concrete. The HT-2's are a great design that sound good in every room I have tried them in.

bretonsound

« Reply #9 on: 7 Jul 2019, 02:56 am »
Thanks for the responses. It looks like I wasn’t the first to ask this question. I’ll take Jim’s advice and leave the speakers alone. My next question is if I were to look to move up in the Salk line of speakers where do I go from the HT2-TL before you hear an appreciable difference. I listen to mostly rock, some jazz and some classical music. Just curious at this point. Thanks for the advice.