Mundorf Amt Tweeters

nickd

Mundorf Amt Tweeters
« on: 5 Apr 2014, 10:17 pm »
I would like to get everyones thoughts on the Mundorf tweeters. I'm thinking about building an ultimate two way and adding 2 Rythmik (one per side) 12G servo subs to make them full range. The second option is building them all into one box. I will be using a 7" mid woofer. thinking about ScanSpeak, ATD, Seas or whatever matches the tweeter off axis the best.

I heard the Mundorf's in a Jaton 3 way design a couple of years ago and was very impressed. They are expensive but not any more so than the top of the line ScanSpeak's.

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 7 Apr 2014, 04:00 pm by nickd »

Danny Richie

Re: Mundorf Amt Tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 6 Apr 2014, 03:09 am »
Some of those tweeters are really nice, but way overpriced.

And none of them play down to 200Hz. So they aren't going to reach down to the ranges covered by our servo subs.

I have worked with the ScanSpeak drivers and I am not a big fan. I don't even consider them anymore. There are much better choices of drivers to match with them.

The good thing about those tweeters is that they can be used in an open baffle design, but it is not easy to implement for the average hobbyist.

WireNut

« Reply #2 on: 7 Apr 2014, 03:07 am »

I have worked with the ScanSpeak drivers and I am not a big fan. I don't even consider them anymore. There are much better choices of drivers to match with them.

Hmm, that's interesting. Myself, never owning any scanspeak driver before, I've been drooling about trying some in my next DIY project.
I've had Sea's drivers for years and have been wanting to try something else (scanspeak).
Maybe they're good, maybe not, could be a lot of hype associated with the name.

SB Acoustic drivers look nice, any opinions of them out there  :?:

Danny Richie

« Reply #3 on: 7 Apr 2014, 02:19 pm »
Hmm, that's interesting. Myself, never owning any scanspeak driver before, I've been drooling about trying some in my next DIY project.
I've had Sea's drivers for years and have been wanting to try something else (scanspeak).
Maybe they're good, maybe not, could be a lot of hype associated with the name.

SB Acoustic drivers look nice, any opinions of them out there  :?:

They are well made and have high QC standards. But of the models I have used and tested with they have a nice lower range, but in the last octave before the crossover point they lack the detail levels and resolution levels that I am used to from our drivers.

nickd

« Reply #4 on: 7 Apr 2014, 04:27 pm »
none of them play down to 200Hz. So they aren't going to reach down to the ranges covered by our servo subs.

Thanks Danny, but I don't think I was clear. The Subs will crossover to a 7" mid/woofer at 60--100 Hz.

I also don't think I am ready to design a dipole yet. I am looking at the sealed back versions of the Mundorf AMT or using a custom built chamber behind the AMT to dial it in. (simular to the tweeter box in the LS-9 you designed).

Other than a well done line source, a stand mount two ways seem to consistently offer the best imaging I have heard. The fact that some current references are  more than $20K just makes them unreasonable for us regular folk. I would agree with you that the Scanspeaks are hard to use and seem to need a lot of voltage before they start to sound their best.

I am open to mid woofer recommendations but prefer no compromise designs. The ATD 18W4004's 7" mid woofers are at the top of my short list, but they are Crazy money too.

However If I have to spend $1200. a speaker for drivers and they really sing, I think there is some value there, they will be way cheaper than even a hard to find pair of used Joseph Audio Pulsar's

Danny Richie

« Reply #5 on: 7 Apr 2014, 06:31 pm »
I am open to mid woofer recommendations but prefer no compromise designs. The ATD 18W4004's 7" mid woofers are at the top of my short list, but they are Crazy money too.

Eeeek. Those have a signature metal cone sound.

I offer a top level 6.5" woofer that sounds much better and it isn't crazy money either.

http://gr-research.com/m165xwoofer-2.aspx

It works really well in a sealed box too.

nickd

« Reply #6 on: 7 Apr 2014, 07:15 pm »
Those are nice drivers indeed Danny, I saw the prototype at the show a couple of years ago. The SPl at 88.4 is a bit low for a 2 way though? and the RE of 5.49 ohms means it would be tough to use 2 in a MTM to gain a bit of SPL. I do have plenty of power on tap though so what would be your recommended tweeter to take it to the "Ultimate" level. is your deep back Neo3 up to the task or is there somthing (dome,EMT, ribbon) that would be better for this application?

1. How big does a sealed box need to be for smooth response if used in a two way?
2. Or in a 3 way with a  servo sub to cover the heavy lifting?

BTW, the 7" ATD has a Ti surface on the cone, but it"s sprayed on as a stiffener in a vapor depositing process. It does make a well damped, stiff & light weight "sandwich" cone. They really do sound quite neutral and have reallynice mid bass too. Just CRAZY $$$ :roll:

Danny Richie

« Reply #7 on: 7 Apr 2014, 07:26 pm »
I have a 16 ohm version for running two of them in parallel.

http://gr-research.com/m165xwoofer-2-1.aspx

They can be used in an open baffle or a sealed box.

I plan on using them with our servo woofers as well.

The deep back cup Neo's are pretty easy to work with and do sound very good. Comparing them to the Mundorf AMT would be give and take.

I hear you on that ATD driver. It looks good on paper, but every time I listened to it there was really nothing about it that impressed me. It is a good driver, but just doesn't warrant stupid money to me.