Anyone familiar with BUTLER Amps (TDB 2250)

alana106

Anyone familiar with BUTLER Amps (TDB 2250)
« on: 3 Oct 2006, 06:37 pm »
A couple of these have been coming up for sale recently, and wondered if anyone had heard, or had any experience with these amps.  The Butler TDB 2250 /  was reviewed  at 6 moons.com  (www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250.html)   It  is rated at 250 watts per channel, and I was curious about whether  it might have enough poop to run the VMPS RM40s full range.  I know it is not a full tube amp, so GAS GUYS, I beg your forgiveness in advance (for my mental lapse) concerning the inquiry.  :duh:

Scott,
   If you get a chance, could  you tell me the model of the  Korato preamp we tried in place of my Rogue (seem to remember you having 2).  I made an inquiry to Korato, and it seems the only payment they accept is a bank trf.  I may send you a PM to get more info if I continue to explore this.
Alan

Scott F.

Re: Anyone familiar with BUTLER Amps (TDB 2250)
« Reply #1 on: 3 Oct 2006, 08:11 pm »
A couple of these have been coming up for sale recently, and wondered if anyone had heard, or had any experience with these amps.  The Butler TDB 2250 /  was reviewed  at 6 moons.com  (www.6moons.com/audioreviews/butler/2250.html)   It  is rated at 250 watts per channel, and I was curious about whether  it might have enough poop to run the VMPS RM40s full range.  I know it is not a full tube amp, so GAS GUYS, I beg your forgiveness in advance (for my mental lapse) concerning the inquiry.  :duh:

Scott,
   If you get a chance, could  you tell me the model of the  Korato preamp we tried in place of my Rogue (seem to remember you having 2).  I made an inquiry to Korato, and it seems the only payment they accept is a bank trf.  I may send you a PM to get more info if I continue to explore this.
Alan

alan,

The Butler won't have any issues driving your VMPS's. I had one in house a couple years ago for review but ran into some time issues because of caring for my Mom so I regrettably had to send it back. As I remember, it was a very fine amp. BK (Butler) uses 6SN7's as the input driver for his Mosfet output transistors. I liked the amp a lot. It had most all of the great qualities of tubes without the heat and maintenence issues. I'd say, if you can get them right ($), go for it. I think you'll be happy.

The Korato I brought to your house was the KVP-20. Don't forget that you'll need to invest a few hundred in caps and resistors after it arrives to get that same sound that mine has.
http://www.korato.com/product.php?id=94
I see Koran has changed his coupling caps to Mundorfs. Those might be worth a listen.

alana106

« Reply #2 on: 4 Oct 2006, 01:05 am »
Thanks Scott,

Appreciate, and value your thoughts and comments.  I may have one of the Butler's lined up, but I'm waiting for a response.

I am a little confused on the Korato lineup.   Per their site, It shows the KVP 10 as a dual mono, with a separate power supply.
  It also lists the KVP 20 as a "A great budget preamp!"  Just curious which one is actually the better (more expensive) unit.  It also seems to indicate that a phono board is available on the KVP 10, but phono isn't mentioned on the KVP 20? The remote option is listed for both.

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 4 Oct 2006, 01:38 am »
The KVP-10 is the dual mono version (their model numbers are a little counter-intuitive). You can expect to pay a little more than twice the price of the KVP-20 for the KVP-10 with the phono stage.

When it comes to 'better', I can't say, thats too subjective. I like them both. Each one has their own character. If I were you, I'd go for the KVP-20, especially with your VMPS's. In modified form it's going to add some more texture to their presentation. On the other hand, if you are looking for extreme accuracy, the KVP-10 in its modified form may be more to your liking. Expect to pay extra though. Then when you add 6 Teflon V-Caps at about $70 each, it gets even more expensiive.

From what I can tell, the phono board isn't offered in the KVP-20, only in the 10. You can buy it separately. It comes in its own case. The phono stage is OK but for the money, the Graham Slee gear is better, IMO.

alana106

« Reply #4 on: 4 Oct 2006, 01:51 am »
Thanks for the clarification Scott.   
   Just for fun, I sent a message to the Korato folks requesting a price quote for both, but haven't received a response yet.  A conversion from the Euro to $$ will needed to before I know what the prices actually are. :scratch:  Ill let you know what I find out.

bpape

• Industry Participant
  • I am serious and don't call my Shirley
    • Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #5 on: 5 Oct 2006, 01:06 am »
Let me know what they tell you.  We're in process of negotiating my being the US distributor for their products.

Bryan

alana106

« Reply #6 on: 5 Oct 2006, 02:30 am »
Bryan,

You have a PM.