What replacement caps have you liked in vintage tube gear?

BaronKyle

• The more I see, the less I know for sure.
I'm curious what people have been using.

Perhaps just list your make of gear, cap function (power supply, coupling, etc), and what you have liked.

I had a recommendation on a fan site for Sprague Atoms for power supply and Auricaps for line stage coupling on an old Eico integrated kit.

------------------------------------------------
I often hear that new caps can change the original sound if you aren't careful, due to modern day tolerances and better build.  One such example is an individual who went 100% auricaps (they aren't cheap), and had his Tube amp turn out "blah" sounding.

I'm starting to get on a tangent here, but have any manufacturers tried to fill the niche of modern caps built to vintage specs?

daves

Re: What replacement caps have you liked in vintage tube gear?
« Reply #1 on: 10 Dec 2015, 12:05 pm »
CEs and Sonicaps are always a winner at mid line pricing. Auricaps are pretty good as well.

You can go super cheap or stupidly expensive, but neither will make you happy, and neither will reflect equally with the quality of the HF81.

JackD201

Re: What replacement caps have you liked in vintage tube gear?
« Reply #2 on: 10 Dec 2015, 01:42 pm »
Coupling caps that I find don't make an amp sound too modern are Mundolf Silver Oil and Jupiters. Experiments with V-caps traded in too much of the vintage vibe for extension and clarity which IMO only kind of defeats the purpose of having classics to begin with. Still, I would try my best to see if I could find originals in good shape. Sadly that's not always an easy thing to do.  :(