Thank you Louis!

craigcarter

Thank you Louis!
« on: 4 Aug 2020, 10:56 pm »
My Super 3 HO XRS Customwide speakers arrived safely today; placed the order in late May, and well worth the wait! Superbly packed and they look and sound amazing as you all know!  Happy Listening.

syzygy

Re: Thank you Louis!
« Reply #1 on: 5 Aug 2020, 02:05 am »
Really beautiful.

AvsFan

« Reply #2 on: 5 Aug 2020, 03:55 am »
Super finish. This is only the beginning. Give them a lot of time to break in. And get them a good SET or tube amp. My experience so far with my new Omega's. Bass will get better. But with the size of the cabinet and two port holes. I am sure they have a lot more bass than my smaller monitors. 

beowulf

« Reply #3 on: 5 Aug 2020, 04:25 am »
Nice! What veneer?

RDavidson

« Reply #4 on: 5 Aug 2020, 04:49 am »
Those look fantastic! Louis is da man!

FireGuy

« Reply #5 on: 5 Aug 2020, 12:11 pm »
Love them, congrats and enjoy.  Louis' 4.5" RS5 driver is special, very special.  It's organic nature, disappearing act, imaging and speed are astounding.  Wish every audiophile could hear and experience it. 

DaveC113

• Industry Contributor
  • ZenWaveAudio.com
« Reply #6 on: 5 Aug 2020, 01:27 pm »
Nice, looks great!  :thumb:

craigcarter

« Reply #7 on: 5 Aug 2020, 10:31 pm »
I appreciate everyone's comments. Haven't figured out how to respond to individual posts, but answers to questions: the veneer is Bolivan Rosewood. Indeed, Louis is da man, really impressed with the overall experience and his patience with my silly questions.

Using Decware Torri Mk III and CSP2+, Equi Tech power balance unit, dh labs t14 wire, and would love to purchase a set of Dave's zenwave cables but my bank account at the moment says no or hoping for a sale (hint). 

I lack the precision of words to accurately describe the sound, but you all know what I mean when I say the soundstage, imaging and seperation is magical, and yes...magical is a scientific term to my ears.

Kray

« Reply #8 on: 9 Aug 2020, 12:37 pm »
Beautiful finish! Sometimes I wish I would have gone With a more exotic finish.

Congrats. Be patient with the break in.

roscoe65

« Reply #9 on: 9 Aug 2020, 01:06 pm »
I appreciate everyone's comments. Haven't figured out how to respond to individual posts, but answers to questions: the veneer is Bolivan Rosewood. Indeed, Louis is da man, really impressed with the overall experience and his patience with my silly questions.

Using Decware Torri Mk III and CSP2+, Equi Tech power balance unit, dh labs t14 wire, and would love to purchase a set of Dave's zenwave cables but my bank account at the moment says no or hoping for a sale (hint). 

I lack the precision of words to accurately describe the sound, but you all know what I mean when I say the soundstage, imaging and seperation is magical, and yes...magical is a scientific term to my ears.

The speaker break in will take a while so it makes little sense to change anything until they are fully broken in and you are familiar with the speakers’ sound.

I own some Zenwave interconnects.  The speaker cables are a bit pricy for me.  I appreciate the labor that goes into the cables but a 10 foot pair is $400.  Even the materials to build the cables yourself are $300.  That doesn’t seem like a lot of money, but some of us spend less than that on components, let alone wire.

An alternative that gets great reviews is the Duelund DCA 16 speaker wire.  A 10 foot pair will run $125 and the preferred connection is bare wire, so you can save on connectors.  The cable is similar in philosophy and execution as the Supra 1.6 cable  that Louis uses in most of his speakers.  They are both tinned copper.  If you decide you don’t like the Duelund, you can resell it for a minimal loss.

FireGuy

« Reply #10 on: 9 Aug 2020, 01:18 pm »

I so agree agree on two points.  First, this finish on these Super 3 HO XRS  is spectacular.  Outstanding choice.  Two, someone said to me "If you're going to spend good cash on really good speakers, spend a little more and get that finish you like... that you're going to look at every day for years." I got that point crystal clear and went with Louis' walnut.  I just love them.

Kray

« Reply #11 on: 9 Aug 2020, 03:17 pm »

An alternative that gets great reviews is the Duelund DCA 16 speaker wire.  A 10 foot pair will run $125 and the preferred connection is bare wire, so you can save on connectors.  The cable is similar in philosophy and execution as the Supra 1.6 cable  that Louis uses in most of his speakers.  They are both tinned copper.  If you decide you don’t like the Duelund, you can resell it for a minimal loss.

Completely agree with this and what I did. I even went overboard and bought 10m of the dual DCA16. I took each dual run and combined it to make a 2.5m pair. Each leg of the cable is a dual twisted together. I couldn’t be happier with this cable. Going to try making rca IC’s with it next. Currently using Belden 8402.

AvsFan

« Reply #12 on: 9 Aug 2020, 04:58 pm »

It is! I can't get over that deep rich finish. The dark grain pattern is beautiful! Louis is an artisan cabinet maker! I love my purple veneer, but the light has to be shining on them to really show them off.

And what Kray said. Break in is long and sometimes painful. I almost gave up but am sure glad I didn't. They have REALLY come into their own, I am listening to them as I type this and am really enjoying them. Even with this TPA chip amp I have, they sound really good!

doggie

« Reply #13 on: 2 Nov 2020, 12:32 am »
Completely agree with this and what I did. I even went overboard and bought 10m of the dual DCA16. I took each dual run and combined it to make a 2.5m pair. Each leg of the cable is a dual twisted together. I couldn’t be happier with this cable. Going to try making rca IC’s with it next. Currently using Belden 8402.

+1 for the Duelund. I have been using it for a couple of years for both IC and speaker cables. A rich yet detailed sound. Hard to beat for the price.