Thoughts on Upgrade - LRS to .7 or 1.7i

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
Thoughts on Upgrade - LRS to .7 or 1.7i
« on: 20 Oct 2020, 04:48 pm »
Hello All,

New to this forum.

The Room-  not anywhere close to ideal but its all I have to work with.   A large rectangle that is 15 ft deep x 38 ft long.  Living room on one side of the 38, kitchen on the other, me and my couch in the center.  See pictures.  Large sliding doors at both ends as well as a double slider in the center (16ft wide)  Concrete floors with area rugs

Speakers - I own and love my set of LRS with magna-risers.  To achieve imaging I must move them out from the wall and together and I do such when I am "critical" listening.  The rest of the time they are moved back and out of the way, as seen in the pictures, into what I call the safe zone.  Out of traffic from my wife and I and dogs.   

Power-  LRS are powered by (1) Carver TFM-45.  I have a 2nd TFM-45 that could mono-block a larger set of Maggies if they can handle such, not sure??

I am considering upgrading to the .7's.  It would still be manageable moving into place, then back out into the safe zone.  Is it enough of a upgrade to justify the cost? 

The top end would be 1.7i's.  Might be difficult in moving into the ideal spot, then back into storage.  Likely not on magna-risers

I'd love the thoughts from others.  Both on upgrading and if so, mono-blocking the 45's

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Thoughts on Upgrade - LRS to .7 or 1.7i
« Reply #1 on: 22 Oct 2020, 11:46 pm »
I'm having a hard time picturing where the speakers are.
I'm thinking they're pointed at the couch with the grey cover?

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #2 on: 22 Oct 2020, 11:52 pm »
That is correct, yes it is hard to see their location, here is a shot from the couch.  They need to be just a little closer together to hit the imaging

Jon L

« Reply #3 on: 23 Oct 2020, 12:46 am »
Before upgrading speakers, have you looked into placing some diffusers behind the Maggies?  Those huge reflective glass doors behind dipole Maggies are messing with your speakers big time. 

Luckily, the "Mr. T" diffusers designed for open baffles speakers are rather reasonably priced and can be moved in and out if place if need be.
They can be ordered with different color paint as well, and even if you upgrade to larger Maggies in the future, you will still need these diffusers anyway.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6114-pi-audio-group-diffusers-room-treatments

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #4 on: 23 Oct 2020, 02:19 am »
Go for the 1.7i's.  They will fit.  My room is 17x17.  I have a friend whose room is much small and he runs 1.7's with dual subs.

Saturn94

« Reply #5 on: 23 Oct 2020, 05:16 am »
I also own the LRS on Magna Risers (Airborne model), and have auditioned the .7 at another AC member’s home.  I’d suggest going to the 1.7i in your room.  It looks like you have plenty of space for them.  I’m not sure the .7 would be significant upgrade from the LRS for you.

I thought of doing the same, but at only 6.5ft to my listening position (LRS pulled out 3.5ft from the wall behind them) I think the 1.7i would feel physically/visually overwhelming.

Looking at the specs of your amp, one amp should be plenty to drive the .7 or 1.7i.  If you decide to go with 2 amps bridged in mono, make sure they can handle the low impedance of the Maggies.  I’ve read amps bridged in mono often don’t do well with low impedance speakers.

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 23 Oct 2020, 05:40 am »
I was also trying to decide between the LRS’s or the .7’s a few months back.. I thought the .7’s would fit my room the best so I got them.. I did add an REL T5 Sub to the mix and it did add some nice tight lower bass to classic rock I like listening to when the mood strikes.

The first option would be to keep the LRS’s and add a sub if possible. If that isn’t going to do it for ya, I think I.Greyhound Fan and Saturn94 suggestions for the 1.7’s is a pretty good one.. I could have gotten the 1.7’s for my room but I have no regrets, I'm very happy with my decision so far. I listen relatively near field perhaps 8 feet from the speakers. To my ears, the sound is very good.

Saturn94

« Reply #7 on: 23 Oct 2020, 05:50 am »
Brooklyn, you reminded me I should have mentioned I do use a sub with my LRS.  Personally, I would do the same with the .7 or 1.7i, though the increased bass capability of the 1.7i may be sufficient for some owners.

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #8 on: 23 Oct 2020, 09:28 am »
Before upgrading speakers, have you looked into placing some diffusers behind the Maggies?  Those huge reflective glass doors behind dipole Maggies are messing with your speakers big time. 

Luckily, the "Mr. T" diffusers designed for open baffles speakers are rather reasonably priced and can be moved in and out if place if need be.
They can be ordered with different color paint as well, and even if you upgrade to larger Maggies in the future, you will still need these diffusers anyway.
https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lisa6114-pi-audio-group-diffusers-room-treatments

Jon,
Yes, I know the glass doors mess with things, but I am unable to cover up permanently.  This is the main room of our house and these doors were designed into the home to make a small house have a more open feeling.  I am the designer as well as the builder as well as the contractor of this home.  It is a downsized home that my wife and I can grow old into.  Plus it has a nice view during the day ;)

I knew going into this that my stereo setup would be limited in where.  So I am blissfully dealing with it :)

But, to your point.  I am considering a simple pc of fabric I can clip onto the side panels when I really want to critical listen.  It's not as good as your suggested panels but it will help!

On a side note, I have designed and considered means to hang from the wall and suspend a set of Maggies above that big door that allows 3 axis pivot  I am just not sure how well it would work and aesthetically how well it would look I'd rather keep them on the floor, LOL

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #9 on: 23 Oct 2020, 09:32 am »
I also own the LRS on Magna Risers (Airborne model), and have auditioned the .7 at another AC member’s home.  I’d suggest going to the 1.7i in your room.  It looks like you have plenty of space for them.  I’m not sure the .7 would be significant upgrade from the LRS for you.

I thought of doing the same, but at only 6.5ft to my listening position (LRS pulled out 3.5ft from the wall behind them) I think the 1.7i would feel physically/visually overwhelming.

Looking at the specs of your amp, one amp should be plenty to drive the .7 or 1.7i.  If you decide to go with 2 amps bridged in mono, make sure they can handle the low impedance of the Maggies.  I’ve read amps bridged in mono often don’t do well with low impedance speakers.

I sort of felt the same but wanted to pose the question,  an upgrade from LRS to .7 might not be worth the $$

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #10 on: 23 Oct 2020, 09:40 am »
So a few more questions and comments.

The room has high ceilings.  12ft high at that wall and slopes to about 10ft at the wall behind my couch.  FYI

How heavy is the 1.7i's? 

With the LRS I have found to really get good imaging I have to move them closer together, in front of the glass doors (back to Joh's comments) or about 8 ft apart, several feet from the wall (glass) with me 10ish ft away.  The LRS are easy to move and these are concrete smooth floors so it can be slide easily

If I moved up to a 1.7i could I get away without a sub?  Most of my music is vocal, jazz, classical with very limited hard rock.

Thanks for everyone's comments!

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #11 on: 23 Oct 2020, 03:16 pm »

The room has high ceilings.  12ft high at that wall and slopes to about 10ft at the wall behind my couch.  FYI

How heavy is the 1.7i's? 

With the LRS I have found to really get good imaging I have to move them closer together, in front of the glass doors (back to Joh's comments) or about 8 ft apart, several feet from the wall (glass) with me 10ish ft away.  The LRS are easy to move and these are concrete smooth floors so it can be slide easily

If I moved up to a 1.7i could I get away without a sub?  Most of my music is vocal, jazz, classical with very limited hard rock.

The 1.7's are not that heavy.  You will still want to use a sub with them.  2 subs are even better.  It adds presence and deeper bass.  Night and day difference with 2 subs with my 1.6's and I am not a bass freak.

Rocket_Ronny

• Your Room Is Everything - Use It Well.
    • ScriptureSongs.com
« Reply #12 on: 23 Oct 2020, 06:41 pm »
I would not do that upgrade. If I was going Magnepan, the LRS is what I would buy. Then I would add a pair of the awesome Rhythmik Fn-8 subs. They go up to 200 hz crossover. I would add a digital behringer crossover and cross the Maggy's at 200hz to start. I would also raise the speakers much higher, at least a foot, but more like 2' from what you have. 

This way you get the height of a Maggy 3.6, with most likely better imaging due to the narrower LRS panel. Then you would have world class, tight, bass that will match the LRS. That combo could well be a destination speaker for most people. By relieving the LRS of the bass they would be able to play loud without compression and would also open up quite a bit sound wise. This is killer advice. You can thank me later.

Rocket Ronny

Saturn94

« Reply #13 on: 23 Oct 2020, 06:56 pm »

How heavy is the 1.7i's? 

I found this about the 1.7i:

“...The panel's measure: 65" high by 19" wide by 2" thick and they weigh 42 pounds each with the stands attached...”

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #14 on: 23 Oct 2020, 10:58 pm »
Rocket Ronnie might be onto something so is imaging your thing or size of soundstage?
Are you sitting right on top of them or back a bit?  Do you primarily listen seated or do you walk around some?

Small Magnepans in a big room can make things sound kind of strange if you're back a bit.  Picture Frank Zappa as a dwarf, for instance.  I think Ringo Starr did that in 200 Motels.

On the other side, if you go too big they can REALLY overwhelm the room but it doesn't sound like that's where you're headed.

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #15 on: 24 Oct 2020, 09:47 am »
The imaging to me is less important than the sound stage. 

As I said to achieve correct imaging I have to move the LRS in and away from their stowed position (see picture for stowed)  But to this comment that is only about 1/3rd of the time I listen.  The 2/3rd's most of the time, heck that number may be higher, is me sitting on the couch typing replies, to stereo forums ;)  , surfing the computer, chilling.  When I really critical listen its when the wife is busy elsewhere and no one is home.  This is that Sat/Sun afternoon with a glass of brown liquid and my dog joining me on the couch. 

I do turn the music on quite often just to fill the room. 
I run a JL E110 sub with my LRS  FYI

Also to clarify, the LRS sound excellent, even in the stowed position. 

The picture below hopefully clears up the reason for the doors :)  This was last night, And FWIW we streamed the Man in Black as we sat with friends around the fire.  Imaging was the least thing in my mind, LOL

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #16 on: 24 Oct 2020, 10:03 am »
The system. FYI
Carver C11
(2) Carver TFM-45
tube buffer to play around with
Denon dnp-800e
teac cdp650
Parks Puffin (I also have owned a Budgie)
Technics SL1200Mkii.  Custom box I made, dampened platter, upgraded cables, KAB dampened arm, KAB external PSU.
Shure M97e with Jico Sas
Shure V15iv with Jico Sas
Massdrop HD6xxx ear cans
Current speakers:  Maggie LRS, Klipsch PR-600 I modded X-overs per NWD, JLE110 sub

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #17 on: 24 Oct 2020, 11:47 am »
1.7 and a sub or maybe 2.
If you stick with the stock feet or get stands it's easy enough to attach some of those sliding dots from Home Depot to move slide them around easily.

I.Greyhound Fan

« Reply #18 on: 24 Oct 2020, 12:34 pm »
1.7 and a sub or maybe 2.
If you stick with the stock feet or get stands it's easy enough to attach some of those sliding dots from Home Depot to move slide them around easily.

Exactly!  Go for the 1.7i's!

HappytrailsPC

• PaulsAsheville
« Reply #19 on: 25 Oct 2020, 10:01 am »
Thank You All for the comments and suggestions.