Should I expect much in swapping out a DAC almost 10 years old?

nature boy

If you decide to upgrade, I encourage you to check on forthcoming comments about ModWright modified Cambridge Audio's CXN V2 DAC/Streamer. Dan has worked some magic with this tube output modifications. I am an early adopter. The sound quality along with a superb user interface exceeded my expectations.

NB

rbbert

If you decide to upgrade, I encourage you to check on forthcoming comments about ModWright modified Cambridge Audio's CXN V2 DAC/Streamer. Dan has worked some magic with this tube output modifications. I am an early adopter. The sound quality along with a superb user interface exceeded my expectations.

NB
Way out of his price range?

nature boy

Price range response. Can always start with a stock unit and upgrade with modification at a later date. The stock CXN V2 is $1099.

NB

Ice10

• Enjoy every sandwich
I’m currently relying on the internal DAC in the Bluesound node 2i and looking to get an external DAC.  The Cherry Dac Dac 1 (under $1k) and DacDac2 (under $1,3k) came up and look interesting. Any experience with either of these products? I ask for myself and as option for the OP as well.

Escott1377

I bought a MHDT Orchid about 4 months ago and it is extremely musical.  To the point where I rarely listen to vinyl.  My vinyl playback is a VPI Classic table with a Soundsmith Voice cartridge.

It is capped at 24 / 192, however standard FLAC (in my case) sounds just as good or better than the high rez stuff that I own.

There is a member on here that will also modify the DAC with a better resistor network and output caps.  They are sold directly from MHDT or Linear Tube Audio.  Linear Tube Audio will even ship to the member I mentioned to be modded for you.  He has lots of options but is generally in the $500 - 600 range.

I was able to find a used Orchid for $1k.  I believe the retail around $1,200.  The modded version will hold its value since they hardly ever come up for sale.

Good luck and have fun!

rodge827

I’m currently relying on the internal DAC in the Bluesound node 2i and looking to get an external DAC.  The Cherry Dac Dac 1 (under $1k) and DacDac2 (under $1,3k) came up and look interesting. Any experience with either of these products? I ask for myself and as option for the OP as well.

I have had both (HS Version) and yes the DACDAC 1&2 deliver. Very quiet with superior non-fatiguing resolution. SPDIF Coax input only and XLR balanced out but DAC will supply adaptors if your single ended. I like the tube NOS sound and sold mine to fund a custom built unit. Getting the parts together and hope to have it built by late spring early summer.

Kinger

Hi,

I still think for a small amount of money you could upgrade the eastern electric minimax and obtain a really nice improvement. If you want to spend more its up to you :).

https://darko.audio/2011/10/burson-op-amps-in-the-eastern-electric-minimax/

https://sparkoslabs.com/reviews/discrete-regulator-and-op-amp-review-eastern-electric-minimax-dac/

Cheers Rod

Thanks Rod.  This will sound stupid, but I had two concerns regarding the positive comments on the burson's.  First, it would appear that due to their size the DAC can no longer have the top cover in play with them installed.  Second, I had read somewhere that Burson was a little tough to get product from, but maybe that's no longer the case?

Bill O'Connell

• Industry Participant
  • Retired . Music Lover

NoDisco

I have a bel canto of that age that I bought ulink for. I’ve been very happy. The headphone section is very very good as well. I don’t stream audio though. I’ve been thinking about this as well, but I don’t want to spend $$$ on a dac and in 2 years it’s out of date. I don’t think I ve hit diminishing enough returns on this one yet. I have wondered how much better a 1K dac would be, and I have had my eyes on a musical paradise dac too. I have an MP amp and I really like. The remote is cheap though...next to useless actually.

Rocket

Hi,

I actually used the DEXA opamps which were smaller in size and were a nice fit.  A really nice day and night improvement for the dac without spending vast amounts of money.  If I had the money I'd upgrade to the Lampizator Dac.

https://www.newclassd.com/index.php?page=55

https://sparkoslabs.com/shop/

Give me a day or two as I think I have a pair of the follows opamps you may wish to try:

Two (2) National Semiconductor LME49720 8-pin op-amps to go into the U1 and U2 positions on the DAC’s circuit board;

Two (2) National Semiconductor LME49710 8-pin op-amps to go into the U6 and U7 positions on the DAC’s circuit board;

They are at my ex's and I don't think she's thrown them out.

Cheers Rod

jjss49

I bought a MHDT Orchid about 4 months ago and it is extremely musical.  To the point where I rarely listen to vinyl.  My vinyl playback is a VPI Classic table with a Soundsmith Voice cartridge.

It is capped at 24 / 192, however standard FLAC (in my case) sounds just as good or better than the high rez stuff that I own.

There is a member on here that will also modify the DAC with a better resistor network and output caps.  They are sold directly from MHDT or Linear Tube Audio.  Linear Tube Audio will even ship to the member I mentioned to be modded for you.  He has lots of options but is generally in the $500 - 600 range.

I was able to find a used Orchid for $1k.  I believe the retail around $1,200.  The modded version will hold its value since they hardly ever come up for sale.

Good luck and have fun!

any of mhdt's current line of nos r2r dacs have outstanding musicality and naturalness of presentation...  excellent, high value performers, and the ability to tweak the presentation via tube rolling too!

i have 3 mhdt's... one of which is modded with upgraded caps resistors and diodes... provides a bit more low end punch and slightly enhanced extension in treble and upper mids...  but i feel this is more easily (and reversibly) obtained through tube rolling...

SET Man

I have had both (HS Version) and yes the DACDAC 1&2 deliver. Very quiet with superior non-fatiguing resolution. SPDIF Coax input only and XLR balanced out but DAC will supply adaptors if your single ended. I like the tube NOS sound and sold mine to fund a custom built unit. Getting the parts together and hope to have it built by late spring early summer.

Hey!

NOS DAC? I think your system is mirroring mine. If I remembering correctly you're using Charney(?) Single Driver Speaker and Audio Note Kit SET monoblocks right? And now you're getting a NOS DAC? Well, that's pretty much same here! :lol:

I've been using NOS DAC that I built since 2006. It was a $40 kit I picked up off eBay, no case or PSU, just PCB and parts. Based on a single Philips TDA1543 chip no line out stage after that, the chip's output go to my pre. Anyway, I'm running it off 12V batts. And I do like the sound of this little simple NOS DAC. Yes, I will say it... it sounds very analog like, I do forget that I listen to CD sometime, no bad sounding CDs still sound bad.

A few times back when we NYAR group used to be active some members bought over some new DAC to try in my system. I remembered listening to early ESS Sabra DAC and I just couldn't take it! They sounded annoying to me, especially in the high where it seems to put a bright spotlight on it.

Anyway, years later I'm still using this simple cheap TDA1543 NOS DAC in my system. Yes, I've been thinking of trying newer DAC but I've never did and now financially not possible for me. Maybe some day but I am very happy with my DAC right now.

P.S. to the OP Kinger, if financially possible do not get rid of your current DAC before you try new DACs. Newer doesn't always mean better.

Buddy