Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?

josh358

Re: Do you have a question for the Magnepan factory?
« Reply #160 on: 14 Aug 2013, 06:59 pm »
Well, in keeping with the little we know about the new MMG, which is that it uses some elements of .7 technology, doesn't have a foil woofer, and in photographs looks much the same in terms of tuning dots and such, I'd guess it has a series crossover. The version before that used a single pole parallel crossover -- there's a schematic of it on the MUG site, as well as of the original version. So you should be able to tell whether it's a new version one or not by looking at the wiring.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #161 on: 14 Aug 2013, 11:13 pm »
buyersremorse,
Give Wendell a call and ask him what he thinks about that.
He'll give you an honest answer.
I have NOT heard either the new MMGs or the Super Duper ones so I can't answer that.
I was really hoping that TAS review would have comparisons but nope.
Wendell did ask about the serial numbers but it looks like the ball got dropped somewhere along the line.

SubieDriver

« Reply #162 on: 12 Sep 2013, 05:35 pm »
Well, in keeping with the little we know about the new MMG, which is that it uses some elements of .7 technology, ...

So maybe we/they should start calling it 0.7, as a follow-on to the  0.5 & 0.6.
I recently acquired a pair of 0.5s (have yet to update the crossover to 0.6 spec), and have been quite happy with them.

Tim

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #163 on: 12 Sep 2013, 11:43 pm »
That's pretty clever.
My 0.5s are still going strong after what, 20 years and one rebuild due to doggie wee wee?
Since I got those I've had 0.6s, 1-Cs, 1.6s, 1.7s, IIIAs, 3.6s, 3.7s and 20.7s.
It's never once crossed my mind to get rid of the 0.5s so I guess that says something good about them!

I'm still waiting for Magnepan to build that all foil MMG they threw out there for the guys on the Planar Asylum to take a stab at building.
THAT I will have to buy if they ever make such a thing.

SubieDriver

« Reply #164 on: 13 Sep 2013, 02:31 pm »
Steve, you say you bought 0.5 and 0.6, and kept the 0.5 pair?  Did you notice much difference between the two?
I have the instructions for upgrading the 0.5 crossover to 0.6 specs, and plan to do it sometime soon.  Did you ever do the update?

In keeping with this thread: Question for the Magnepan factory:
Does Magnepan offer the service to perform the crossover upgrade to 0.6 spec if I send my 0.5s in for fixing delamination?

I bought them from my local Atlanta Maggie dealer (Audio Alternative - they sold them through an ebay auction due to the beginning stages of delamination).
I only notice the buzzing on occasion, but will eventually need to get them fixed.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #165 on: 13 Sep 2013, 11:14 pm »
I wrote to see if they offer an upgrade, I'm sure it's no big deal.
As for why I kept the original MMGs, it might just be sentimental value but I really didn't warm up to the later version for some reason.
They were just another set of speakers to me - decent sounding but I liked the originals better.
Maybe it's just because I've had them for so long they're part of the family, that kind of thing.

SubieDriver

« Reply #166 on: 16 Sep 2013, 01:44 pm »
No, I was asking about your 0.5s.  You said your 0.5s were still going strong, then you said you later got 0.6s (and others).
I was asking about the difference you heard between the 0.5 and 0.6 models (and wondering why you kept the 0.5s over the 0.6s).

From what I've heard, the only difference between 0.5 & 0.6 is the crossover changes.  Is that true?  Was there a noticeable sound difference?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #167 on: 16 Sep 2013, 09:32 pm »
I only used the later MMGs (the .6) for rear channels and when I went to a 2.1 set up they went back onto Audiogon simply because I didn't have any emotional attachment to them.
The old .5s have been with me through thick and thin, many moves and two wives.
Wife number 3 had better dote over them or else it's out the door for her (the MMGs stay)!

In answer to your question, I don't know if the later ones sounded better or not as I didn't put them head to head with the original ones.  I do believe it's simply a crossover change between the two models, nothing along the lines of any structural changes.

SubieDriver

« Reply #168 on: 17 Sep 2013, 02:33 pm »
I see why I was confused about your comments.  You're mixing up Magnepan models.  The MMGs and the 0.5/0.6s are definitely NOT the same thing.

Yes, the MMGs had a crossover update (a downgrade, by most accounts - to differentiate it more from the 0.5/0.6 line), and the 0.5 received a crossover update to make it the 0.6 (an upgrade in smoothness), but that doesn't make them the same speaker.

Here are some additional details:
DESCRIPTION     INTRO DATE       FREQ.-RESP.                 DIM. (W"×H"×D")
MMG                         '97             50Hz-24kHz ±3dB         14½"×48"×1¼"
MMG                         '99             50Hz-24kHz ±3dB         14½"×48"×1¼"

MG-0.5                     '91             45Hz-22kHz ±3dB          19" × 50" × 2"
MG-0.6                     '94             45Hz-26kHz                   19" × 50"

MG-12                      '99             45Hz-22kHz ±3dB           17"×51"×1½"

The 0.5 & 0.6 were both introduced before the MMG came into existence, then the MG12 displaced them.

You can see that the dimensions of the 0.6 are quite close to the MG12.  The 0.6 is wider than the MG12, but I'm sure it's mostly because of the wood trim on the sides, which extends at least an inch out from the speaker itself.

You can check out specs on most models here:
http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/articles/speakers.html

I hope that's helpful.

To be clear, I have the 0.5, not the MMG, and, considering the downgraded crossover on the MMG, I can see why you kept the earlier model.

Edit: Updated specs on 0.5 (details not listed on website linked above, but taken from my owners manual)
Frequency Response specs on 0.5 are identical to MG12 even though physical size is slightly different.
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2013, 08:20 pm by SubieDriver »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #169 on: 17 Sep 2013, 11:01 pm »
Sorry, I thought you were making a funny about the MMGs.
No, I have no experience with the ones you have, I got the MMGs when they first came out and then jumped back in time only once and that was for 1-Cs.
A year or so ago I read a thread about 1-Cs being a superior speaker due to the thicker mylar or something like that and you just have to wonder.
The side rails for the 1-Cs still live on with hinges mounted for the MMGs.
Back to our regularly scheduled program...

SubieDriver

« Reply #170 on: 18 Sep 2013, 02:57 am »
Well, I initially made a joke about calling the new MMGs (with DWM woofer) the new 0.7 since it had ".7" tech in it, but then things got a little mixed up.  Then again, Magnepan models over the years seem to be a little mixed up too, hence the confusion.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #171 on: 19 Sep 2013, 10:45 pm »
I stand doubly corrected: Magnepan does NOT offer upgrades unless it's something across the board like adhesives.

The cynical might say it's to sell new speakers which might have some truth to it.
I suspect it's more the case of they've made a couple hundred thousand speakers and trying to keep track of what was done to which pair would just drive the service department insane.
This is what we made, this is what you'll get back is how it is which makes an awful lot of sense.

SubieDriver

« Reply #172 on: 20 Sep 2013, 03:04 am »
Thanks for asking them.  Good to know.
I suppose I should have queried how much it would be to relaminate mine, but I can just call them to ask.

klao

« Reply #173 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:08 am »
Saw some posts regarding the push-pull design of the series 20.x panels that they could run the risk of damage if the structures move too much from the very loud, low frequencies signals in movies.

Is that true?  I'm considering to run my 20.7's full range when watching movies from BD and DVD.

Thanks.

Roger Gustavsson

« Reply #174 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:28 am »
Where to get the same off-white grill cloth Magnepan uses by the meter/yard? I am not looking for replacement grill cloth.

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #175 on: 25 Nov 2013, 10:41 pm »
Regarding 20.x extension limits:

The diaphragm makes a loud, crude noise when it hits the magnets. No harm done.

From me:
You'd really have to be pushing it to hear that particular loud, crude noise.
I know I never heard that and I have been known to listen at "slightly" elevated levels.
WHAT???

klao

« Reply #176 on: 26 Nov 2013, 03:28 pm »
Thanks, Steve.   :)

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #177 on: 26 Nov 2013, 10:12 pm »
You're welcome.
For the cloth, Magnepan says they sell it.
If you wish to try your own skills, you can simply do a search on acoustic speaker fabric or speaker grill cloth and turn up a variety of aftermarket vendors.

bdp24

« Reply #178 on: 28 Nov 2013, 08:32 pm »
I'm looking into the 1.7, so I called Magnepan to ask about the black discs that are visible through the grill cloth. I asked about their placement, and the woman said "Right, there are two on one and three on the other in a pair". In all the pictures I've seen there are three on both, but in slightly different places. First, are they highly visible because of camera flash, or is the cloth really that transparent? I saw a listing with prices, and the version without the side panels was described as having different cloth than the ones with side panels. True? Do all the 1.7's have the dots in haphazard locations? Having a little case of OCD, I wouldn't like looking at left and right speakers that aren't symmetrical! Do the side panels hide a seam? Do they help make the frame a little stiffer? And what's the verdict on the Sound Anchor stands---effective, and worth the dough? Thanks---EJ.

MGbert

« Reply #179 on: 28 Nov 2013, 11:56 pm »
I'm looking into the 1.7, so I called Magnepan to ask about the black discs that are visible through the grill cloth. I asked about their placement, and the woman said "Right, there are two on one and three on the other in a pair". In all the pictures I've seen there are three on both, but in slightly different places. First, are they highly visible because of camera flash, or is the cloth really that transparent? I saw a listing with prices, and the version without the side panels was described as having different cloth than the ones with side panels. True? Do all the 1.7's have the dots in haphazard locations? Having a little case of OCD, I wouldn't like looking at left and right speakers that aren't symmetrical! Do the side panels hide a seam? Do they help make the frame a little stiffer? And what's the verdict on the Sound Anchor stands---effective, and worth the dough? Thanks---EJ.

I'll take a stab here on a few of these questions.  The "dots" are a design feature to ensure that identical resonances in both panels do not result in "one note bass" syndrome.  OCD or not, it is really preferable to have the panels non-identical.  And on my MMGs at least, it took a lot of backlight to make the dots visible to the listener, at least with black cloths (nicknamed "socks").

And I used Sound Anchor stands for years before my MMGs got the Magnestand mod.  They do the job, and don't screw up the sound doing it.  In fact, you could argue that they improve the stability of the panel, which improves sonics a bit... and provides some tip-over accident protection.  They also let you adjust the height and tilt of the panels to let you fine tune the sound.  I was very happy with them.  Although I have not heard them with Maggies, Mye stands have gotten raves, but they are more expensive and elaborate.  And the Magnestand mod is a whole other kettle of fish, but not necessarily recommended for 1.7's.  The proprietor (internet name Peter Gunn, hence the term "Gunning your Maggies") says the mod is far more beneficial for 1.6 and earlier models.  Actually, this is a wild and more polite paraphrase of his actual opinion of 1.7's, but that is a whole other series of threads.  FWIW, I don't share his opinion - I think 1.7s are an excellent speaker and an almost unbelievable value.  That said, I also love my Gunned MMGs in my claustrophobic 11 foot by 11 foot 4 inch listening room.

Hope this helps... and Happy Turkey Day!

MGbert