Not sure...
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Voting closed: 3 Jun 2003, 06:55 pm

An idea for the RM40

JoshK

An idea for the RM40
« on: 3 Jun 2003, 06:51 pm »
I've been saving up to upgrade my RM40's to the FST and TRT upgrades. I plan to do all the work myself.  Then I came across a picture for Von Schweikert's flagship speaker and I got to thinking....

You'll notice in this picture there is a raised baffle making the effective baffle width narrowing than that of the box.  You probably also have seen the RM/X whose effective baffle width is narrower of the mid array than that of its box.  Starting to see where I am going yet?

Well I started thinking if I am going to do all this reportedly difficult work to my speakers why not go for gold? Seems to me that I could make a similar baffle out of 1" MDF (or 1.5" or 2" or...) slightly wider than the mid/tweeter array and raise the array up 1" (or 1.5" or 2", etc) away from the box. For looks I would probably extent this baffle up and encircle the woofers so that all the drivers are on the same vertical plane again (keeping time alignment in tact).

See anything wrong with attempting this?

Before you chime in with volume integrity, I have already thought of that. I believe (and will know for certain really soon) that the mids/tweets are in their own enclosure.  You could use the same piece of MDF that you cut out of the middle and add it to the back of the enclosure shrinking the volume down but the same amount you increased it.  For the woofer enclosures I am not sure this would matter much but you could always do a similar thing.  

If you wanted a semi RM/X look or if there is some reason why swooping away rather than stepping is better you could always use a router bit to create the arc in the sides of the baffle.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
An idea for the RM40
« Reply #1 on: 3 Jun 2003, 06:57 pm »
I think it's a great idea, go for it.

TheeeChosenOne

An idea for the RM40
« Reply #2 on: 3 Jun 2003, 08:59 pm »
Why don't you ask Mark Schifter to build you some nice cabinets?  

All Mark needs are the diagrams.

This could lay the foundation for future RM40 cabinetry.  I'd suggest for you to consult with Brian and Mark whether this or other designs would work.

You could be a trailblazer in this regard!  ;)

mlschifter

• http://www.av123.com
An idea for the RM40
« Reply #3 on: 3 Jun 2003, 10:39 pm »
Quote from: TheeeChosenOne
Why don't you ask Mark Schifter to build you some nice cabinets?  

All Mark needs are the diagrams.

This could lay the foundation for future RM40 cabinetry.  I'd suggest for you to consult with Brian and Mark whether this or other designs would work.

You could be a trailblazer in this regard!  ;)

All *I need* are some drawings... and I can surely do the rest...

:)

All the best...

mls