Bitches Brew

roscoeiii

Re: Bitches Brew
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jun 2013, 05:36 pm »
I have the "complete" BB sessions...  I think it is time to get away for the computer for a bit and listen to some of it...

Yeah, I like the complete sessions. And the complete Jack Johnson sessions. I think the 40th Anniversary has some stuff that the complete doesn't. Live stuff and a DVD.

95Dyna

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jun 2013, 05:39 pm »
My perspective is Bitches Brew is Miles Davis on LSD. Having also done LSD  in my late teens it is a total eye opener to alternative thinking. And i personally think Miles Davis had some experiences with mind alteringdrugs which brought him to Bitches Brew et al.
In his bio the women around him at the time were difinitely doing LSD and such. So the album title and the music  IMO clearly go with my theory.
The album as I wrote is a total masterpiece. I love it and the extended release put out by Columbia on CD.
Maybe part of likeing Bitches Brew IS being able to let go of any boundries and flow with what is happening in the music. The music is really amazing, mind blowing and wonderful. IMO of course.

Great point about letting go of boundaries and tight definitions.  It's impossible to grasp and appreciate Bitches Brew while contemplating whether it's jazz, rock, fusion et al.  It is what it is: the creation of a musical genius.  As for the LSD, I don't know Elizabeth.  Could be but I've managed to connect with this work and at 62 the strongest mind altering drug I've taken to date is made in Lynchburg, Tennesee Pop. 360.  :lol:

Chazro

« Reply #42 on: 29 Jun 2013, 09:21 pm »
Ahh.....the old 'I hate Miles/BB/Fusion' debate rages on!  This argument has been going on for decades.  It'll never die, which is probably a good thing IMO as it indicates a passion for music, regardless of what side of the fence yr on.  The poster that feels Miles 'went electric' to cash in is actually correct.  Where he's wrong is thinking the music lacks substance and importance.  According to books and articles I've read about Miles, he was very much absorbing and enjoying the 'Rock' scene back than, especially the music of Sly Stone & Jimi Hendrix.  There was actually a project being discussed about Miles & Jimi recording together, reportedly with Gil Evans (Porgy & Bess, Sketches of Spain).  Unfortunately, fate intervened and Jimi died.  There was a reason Miles attended Jimi's funeral, it was THAT close to happening!  Miles never abandoned the idea of having a blazing gtr in his music, and along came John McLaughlin.  Gil Evans went on to make a Big Band recording of Jimi Hendrix's music, and later Miles dived into uncharted voodoo funk waters with 'On The Corner'.  I've often thought about that 'almost' collaboration, it would've been a historic, game-changing record.  There's still great electric contemporary Jazz (Fusion) being created to this day, just gotta dig a little!  I'm 60 yrs old and still love this stuff!  This is NOT Bitches Brew but check these 2 out:

Chris Taylor - Nocturnal
Alan Pasqua - The Anti-Social Club

jimdgoulding

« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2013, 11:04 pm »
Got my toon room ship shape.   Recordings all put back and stuff.  Got me a fair Moscato chilling.  I'm breaking in a Shelter 501II MC cartridge as we speak.  Expect to have an uninterrupted night of listening and Bitches Brew is on the agenda thanks to you folks.  BTW, my daughter informs me that it is HER album, not mine.  Got some very eclectic Gil Evans sides on the agenda, too.

95Dyna

« Reply #44 on: 30 Jun 2013, 01:59 am »
Ahh.....the old 'I hate Miles/BB/Fusion' debate rages on!  This argument has been going on for decades.  It'll never die, which is probably a good thing IMO as it indicates a passion for music, regardless of what side of the fence yr on.  The poster that feels Miles 'went electric' to cash in is actually correct.  Where he's wrong is thinking the music lacks substance and importance.  According to books and articles I've read about Miles, he was very much absorbing and enjoying the 'Rock' scene back than, especially the music of Sly Stone & Jimi Hendrix.  There was actually a project being discussed about Miles & Jimi recording together, reportedly with Gil Evans (Porgy & Bess, Sketches of Spain).  Unfortunately, fate intervened and Jimi died.  There was a reason Miles attended Jimi's funeral, it was THAT close to happening!  Miles never abandoned the idea of having a blazing gtr in his music, and along came John McLaughlin.  Gil Evans went on to make a Big Band recording of Jimi Hendrix's music, and later Miles dived into uncharted voodoo funk waters with 'On The Corner'.  I've often thought about that 'almost' collaboration, it would've been a historic, game-changing record.  There's still great electric contemporary Jazz (Fusion) being created to this day, just gotta dig a little!  I'm 60 yrs old and still love this stuff!  This is NOT Bitches Brew but check these 2 out:

Chris Taylor - Nocturnal
Alan Pasqua - The Anti-Social Club

Great post Chazro.  I wasn't aware of the almost collaboration between Miles and Jimi.  The thought of it takes my breath away.

95Dyna

« Reply #45 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:10 am »
BTW, speaking of dense intellectually stimulating jazz, I'm listening to the Vijay Iyer Trio's album "Accelerando" as I type.  I can see this guy being a jazz legend some day.  It's the perfect accompaniment for a discussion of Bitches Brew.  I always wonder how much an artist like Vijay Iyer has been influenced by Miles.  Miles is Beethovenesque in stature and Beethoven is influencing composers to this day, 185 years after his death.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #46 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:36 am »
Dyna, I'll have to look this person up what with your enthusiasm.

Chazro

« Reply #47 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:37 am »
Great post Chazro.  I wasn't aware of the almost collaboration between Miles and Jimi.  The thought of it takes my breath away.

+1 on Vijay Iyer, an amazing 'young lion'!

Yeah, re: the Davis/Hendrix 'almost' collaboration.  Regardless of how one feels about Miles's Fusion era, the list of musicians that came out of his band(s) read like a who's who of Jazz royalty (regardless of the period, Miles always had the best musicians!).  Now try to imagine Jimi Hendrix as part of the 'MD Fusion alumni!  It would've been glorious!;)

Mike Nomad

« Reply #48 on: 30 Jun 2013, 02:47 am »
~
« Last Edit: 23 Oct 2019, 03:08 pm by Mike Nomad »

95Dyna

« Reply #49 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:05 am »
+1 on Vijay Iyer, an amazing 'young lion'!

Yeah, re: the Davis/Hendrix 'almost' collaboration.  Regardless of how one feels about Miles's Fusion era, the list of musicians that came out of his band(s) read like a who's who of Jazz royalty (regardless of the period, Miles always had the best musicians!).  Now try to imagine Jimi Hendrix as part of the 'MD Fusion alumni!  It would've been glorious!;)

John Coltrane, Bill Evans,Wayne Shorter, Herbie Hancock, Ron Carter,  Jimmy Cobb, Paul Chambers, Cannonball Adderley.  No room on Mt. Rushmore for all of them.

95Dyna

« Reply #50 on: 30 Jun 2013, 03:08 am »
Dyna, I'll have to look this person up what with your enthusiasm.

Check out the YouTube of the trio playing an arrangement of Michael Jackson's "Human Nature" for starters.  From the album Accelerando.

Geardaddy

« Reply #51 on: 30 Jun 2013, 12:45 pm »
the Brew is a masterpiece.  I agree with Elizabeth.  Its a mindset thing.  I am starting to dabble with modern, avant garde jazz, and again, its all mindset.

*Scotty*

« Reply #52 on: 30 Jun 2013, 04:33 pm »
For Miles Davis' take on Human Nature as well as Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time check out Miles Davis, You're Under Arrest.
http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Under-Arrest-Miles-Davis/dp/B0012GN1HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372609567&sr=8-1&keywords=miles+davis+you%27re+under+arrest
Scotty

roscoeiii

« Reply #53 on: 30 Jun 2013, 04:42 pm »
My favorite pic of Miles Davis:

Who recognizes the other guy?

jimdgoulding

« Reply #54 on: 30 Jun 2013, 04:47 pm »
Recognize the face but can't put a name to it.   Kenny somebody?

roscoeiii

« Reply #55 on: 30 Jun 2013, 04:51 pm »
Ain't nuthin' but a G thang.

jimdgoulding

« Reply #56 on: 30 Jun 2013, 05:25 pm »
Ha!  I nailed it.  No wonder Miles appears to look like he'd rather be someplace else. 

Listened to Bitches Brew.  Love Benny Maupin's playing in the weave.  Only listened to side one and two and kept finding myself drifting away.  It didn't hold my attention in other words.  I think an LSD experience very well may have influenced Miles' music on this album.  Seem to remember mention of it in his autobiography.  Another thing that may have influenced the albums direction and production was the potential of a larger audience.  Miles was also an astute businessman.

BTW, I just stumbled upon "Flight of the Conchords" on HBO?   Anybody else seen any of this?  Freakin hilarious!

95Dyna

« Reply #57 on: 30 Jun 2013, 10:28 pm »
For Miles Davis' take on Human Nature as well as Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time check out Miles Davis, You're Under Arrest.
http://www.amazon.com/Youre-Under-Arrest-Miles-Davis/dp/B0012GN1HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372609567&sr=8-1&keywords=miles+davis+you%27re+under+arrest
Scotty

Here's the link to the Vijay Iyer Trio's Human Nature in its entire 9+ min. run played live at radio station KPLU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEVJRdo-eHc&feature=player_embedded

95Dyna

« Reply #58 on: 30 Jun 2013, 10:46 pm »
Scotty

And a 13 min. You Tube of a live performance of Mile's performing his arrangement of Human Nature.  Scotty, I wasn't aware he did this.  Thanks so much for the post.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7mHNEA7z2U&feature=player_detailpage

Diamond Dog

• Chameleon, Comedian, Corinthian and Caricature
« Reply #59 on: 30 Jun 2013, 10:56 pm »

He took as much diss from the jazzbos for You Are Under Arrest as he did for Bitches Brew and it was the same old crap : sell-out, panderer, despoiler of the sacred jazz tradition. Thou shalt not deviate from the norm... which for Miles was, of course, impossible.

D.D.