Blue Note Re-issues

LeeH

Blue Note Re-issues
« on: 11 Dec 2012, 08:09 pm »
Seen quite a few of these for sale on the net, I think they are Scorpio pressings and are brand new still sealed. Was wondering if they were any good at all?

Cheers

Lee

blutto

Re: Blue Note Re-issues
« Reply #1 on: 12 Dec 2012, 12:26 pm »
...this may be old hat for some but new ground for myself...and I'm hoping will be new to others and will help unravel the mysteries of the Bluenote label pressing history...

...some really funny anectodes/bits mixed in ....

I am not a fan of the modern and more recent roster of Blue Note artists, like the modestly talented Wynton Marsalis, super-annuated Lincoln Jazz Centre functionary, of whom the very competitive Miles Davis once said  ”Wynton thinks playing music is about blowing people up on stage.” In 1986, in Vancouver, Davis famously stopped his band to eject an uninvited Marsalis from the stage. Davis said “Wynton can’t play the kind of shit we were playing”, and twice told Marsalis “Get the fuck off.” That spat continued with Marsalis describing Davis as dressed like a “buffoon”, which thinking of Miles wardrobe in those days was probably fair comment. Whatever, it’s not good jazz

...and...

These records are in my judgement the worst  comparative audio quality imaginable, though I have had people tell me they are quite happy with them. I bought quite a few before I knew better, and traded them back for pennies.(Out of interest, the last working DMM lathe in the US was sold in 2005 to the Church of Scientology )

...from...   http://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/record-labels-guide/labelography-2/the-blue-note-labels/

...hope youse guys and gals enjoy it as much as I did....

Cheers

blutto

saisunil

« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2012, 03:20 pm »
So how to find these old records / pressings without spending big $$$
I am just beginning to go back to vinyl

Scott F.

« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2012, 07:44 pm »

These records are in my judgement the worst  comparative audio quality imaginable, though I have had people tell me they are quite happy with them. I bought quite a few before I knew better, and traded them back for pennies.(Out of interest, the last working DMM lathe in the US was sold in 2005 to the Church of Scientology )

...from...   http://londonjazzcollector.wordpress.com/record-labels-guide/labelography-2/the-blue-note-labels/

I get where this guy is coming from, owning both original releases and reissues myself, but I have to take issue with his (seeming) extreme stance on the reissues.

I've probably got 30 or 40 of the reissues that I've bought over the years, probably more. Sure, they aren't as dynamic or 'live' as the original pressings but I can say this with complete confidence, they sound light years better than most of the 'new' release rock and alternative that is being passed off as vinyl these days.

At $10 to $15 bucks a copy, the Blue Note reissues are the best bargain in vinyl out there. The ones I've bought sound quite good (caveats taken). They are flat, quiet and impart the musical performance quite well.

Personally, if I find an artist or album on the Blue Note reissue that I'm interested in, I buy it without a second thought.

Art_Chicago

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2013, 04:11 am »

I get where this guy is coming from, owning both original releases and reissues myself, but I have to take issue with his (seeming) extreme stance on the reissues.

I've probably got 30 or 40 of the reissues that I've bought over the years, probably more. Sure, they aren't as dynamic or 'live' as the original pressings but I can say this with complete confidence, they sound light years better than most of the 'new' release rock and alternative that is being passed off as vinyl these days.

At $10 to $15 bucks a copy, the Blue Note reissues are the best bargain in vinyl out there. The ones I've bought sound quite good (caveats taken). They are flat, quiet and impart the musical performance quite well.

Personally, if I find an artist or album on the Blue Note reissue that I'm interested in, I buy it without a second thought.

I second this. 75-80% of the Blue Note re-issues are pretty darn good. Most of them sound better than the same titles on CD.