turntable footfall isolation

jameshuls

turntable footfall isolation
« on: 11 Jan 2010, 04:26 pm »
Does anyone have any experience using any of the HAL products to isolate a turntable (resting on a stone slab on a wooden cabinet) from footfalls? Thanks for any help!

doug s.

• makin' music
Re: turntable footfall isolation
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jan 2010, 01:09 am »
nope, sorry, i do not, but i do offer this suggestion - the best results i had when my turntable was in a room prone to footfall issues was to install it on a wall-mounted shelf.

doug s.

jameshuls

« Reply #2 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:06 am »
Doug, that is actually my eventual plan. For the time being I was hoping for a quick fix...

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jan 2010, 03:55 am »
it is a quick fix!  yust go to home despot or similar, buy two 1x3's or 2x4's or similar, a few feet long; screw them wertically to the wall, centered on the studs; then screw shelving brackets to them, w/a couple more 1x3's or 2x4's attached to each shelving bracket, tee'd into the werticals, and held there w/a coupla small metal angle braces.  works like a charm.   :wink:  when i did this, i had everything lined up so most was hidden behind my cabinet except the horizontal wood, which extended out just above the cabinet.  the turntable can set directly on these, or place a shelf across them, if the turntable feet do not line up w/the horizontal wood supports.

from the side, each of the two assemblies would look something like this:

the small red angle at the top is an angle brace, the bottom red angle is the shelving bracket.  1x's will work fine, unless your deck is wery heavy; then use 2x's...

doug s.

jameshuls

« Reply #4 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:09 pm »
Hi Doug, thanks for the tips. However there is a good reason this isn't a quick fix. I am waiting on having some birch logs sawn into 3-4" thick planks which I will use for the shelf. I like your idea for a shelf, but I think my setup is going to be a bit heavy. My turntable and slate isolation base will weigh about 80 pounds, phono preamp, also with a slate isolation base will weigh about 50 pounds, then the birch will be close to 100 pounds. Here is what I am planning:

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:17 pm »
For 100 lb weight, I would add the angle braces on top of shelf as well.

jameshuls

« Reply #6 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:40 pm »
The brackets I am going to use are pretty beefy and shouldn't have any trouble holding this weight:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=45231&cat=3,43648,43651

And they look very cool! This too is important: since it is in our living roon one must always consider the WAF! :nono:

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #7 on: 13 Jan 2010, 05:54 pm »
The brackets I am going to use are pretty beefy and shouldn't have any trouble holding this weight:

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=1&p=45231&cat=3,43648,43651

And they look very cool! This too is important: since it is in our living room one must always consider the WAF! :nono:
the issue is to make sure the anchor's won't pull out of the wall.  the brackets may (or may not?) support the weight, but will they stay in the wall?

my temporary solution would give you a temporary fix while awaiting the finished product.  of course, it would be for turntable only - no isolation base/fono-pre/etc...

doug s.

jameshuls

« Reply #8 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:02 pm »
Code: [Select]
the issue is to make sure the anchor's won't pull out of the wall.  the brackets may (or may not?) support the weight, but will they stay in the wall
Yes, I see your point Doug and woodsyi. However, as my outer walls are made with Fir 2x6's, if I can screw into those it should be OK.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #9 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:09 pm »
Code: [Select]
the issue is to make sure the anchor's won't pull out of the wall.  the brackets may (or may not?) support the weight, but will they stay in the wall
Yes, I see your point Doug and woodsyi. However, as my outer walls are made with Fir 2x6's, if I can screw into those it should be OK.
you are talking about ~230 lbs total - i would query the mfr to make sure that those angles will support whatever weight-per-angle you end up with...

doug s.

jameshuls

« Reply #10 on: 13 Jan 2010, 06:51 pm »
i would query the mfr to make sure that those angles will support whatever weight-per-angle you end up with

Good idea. we have a Lee Valley in town here in Saskatoon so I need only take a short drive to talk with someone.

doug s.

• makin' music
« Reply #11 on: 13 Jan 2010, 07:39 pm »
Good idea. we have a Lee Valley in town here in Saskatoon so I need only take a short drive to talk with someone.

short drive?  how about email/fone?   :wink:  i'd try to get something in writing, re: load capacity.  otherwise, i would be looking elsewhere.  even if it ends up looking industrial.

ymmv,

doug s.

WGH

« Reply #12 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:08 pm »
I designed some table brackets for a friends home office and they would work perfectly as a turntable support too. We made up 2 sets, the pair shown below is made from 1.5" x .25" steel, the arch support is riveted at each end. The second set used 2" wide steel for a more massive look and would easily hold up 230 lbs.

The brackets are 36" x 18" and look great when installed, a lot better than chrome angle brackets, though I suppose they could be chrome plated.

I work with a local blacksmith, perhaps there is one in your area that could make similar brackets. I could have a pair made for you but they would need to be crated and shipping would be expensive. Go local if you can.

Wayne

jameshuls

« Reply #13 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:49 pm »
Very nice looking brackets Wayne! The brackets I am looking at from Lee Valley are not quite as large as they measure 12"x15" and are 1 3/4" wide.

I believe three of them should have no trouble supporting the weight as the folks at Lee Valley tell me they hold over 100 lbs each quite easily. they are also quite fine looking IMO (and less than $20 each).

Wayner

« Reply #14 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:06 pm »
Why do you think you need 100 pounds of wood sitting on the shelves? I certainly would not use #10 screws to hold up the brackets either. You just don't need this kind of weight, IMO. I like mass too, but using 3 brackets is goofy too. I made a wall base for my TT in the garage and it works great.

I don't mean to be rude or piss on your parade, but I think your design is way, way over the top and not really necessary to meet the objectives of footfall free LP spinning. I didn't do the cabling (chain) right, but next year will redo that a bit better. Total cost about $20. Just saying.

Wayner  :D

WGH

« Reply #15 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:31 pm »
Looks like you have now a few design choices, from Wayner's utilitarian shelf to custom steel designer supports in which the steel alone would cost more than $20.

I would consider enlarging the screw holes in the Lee Valley brackets and using 5/16" diameter x 3" lag screws, remember you probably have 1/2" of drywall to go through before the screw grabs anything solid.

Wayne

jameshuls

« Reply #16 on: 14 Jan 2010, 10:53 pm »
Well, you know what they say about opinions :wink:

I guess I was asking for it :duh:

doug s.

• makin' music

Listens2tubes

« Reply #18 on: 6 Feb 2010, 02:04 am »
The granite is for squelching vibration from earth bound components. You should not need all this weight for a wall hung shelf. The shelf is doing the isolation part of the equation. Adding all this stone is redundant :nono: and a waste of materials. If your walls are in need of vibration isolation then leave the table on terra firma. Also, you may be causing a problem by torking the beams under all the stress of such localized wieght. :o My Systemdek was very suseptible to footfall and I cured it and gained sonically using a wall mounted shelf. :thumb: Enjoy!

jameshuls

« Reply #19 on: 6 Feb 2010, 03:23 pm »
Are you saying then that adding mass to my deck will have no sonic impact once mounted on a wallshelf? If that is the case, why does pretty much every highly-reviewed deck on the planet add plenty of mass. Is it a marketing scheme?

What about internal resonance of components? Airbourne vibrations? This resonance needs a conduit out of the system, a vibration sink if you will.

The advantage of this slate is not only its mass, but its ability to drain resonance. I have spent years researching this topic, experimenting with different materials, stone, wood, brass, copper etc - I am not doing this just for the hell of it. I appreciate everyone's input, but as far as I have seen there has been nothing but  opinion without any consideration of why I am doing this.

If you go back to my original question, you will see what I wanted to know: Are there Herbie's products which could help with footfall? I asked Steve via the website but never received a response, so I came here. I still have not received an answer to that question.