Describe the setup of your Salk speakers

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Describe the setup of your Salk speakers
« on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:14 pm »
I have mine in a dedicated space that is 29'3" x 13'9"/17'6" (first 15'3 of room/second half 14')) x 8'.

Speakers are 70" from the front panel to front wall.

Speakers are 30" from the center of the midrange driver to the side walls.

Speakers are 8'9" apart center to center.

I sit roughly 16'6" from the speakers, centered perfectly between them.

George

launche

• ...on being an audiophile...no.
Re: Describe the setup of your Salk speakers
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:32 pm »
Zybar,

16'6" back literally puts you in another room, right.
How can your read your SQBox from that far back?
I don't think I've ever sat more that 11' from my speakers due to my rooms.  Nice to have that kinda space.  I do like pulling the fronts well out into the room, it's always been some of the best soundstaging I've heard with that method and I'd sacrifice some bass for it.

Do the recordings feel "intimate" at your current seating position or is it necessary to be at that distance to "take it all in" with your configuration.

You Salk owners sure wear a fella down.
I may have to start the Salk Account soon.

Thanks

koiman

« Reply #2 on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:34 pm »
My HT3 speakers are located in a family room with a total length of 30 feet by 12 feet 3 in. x 8 feet celing.

speakers a 39 in. from both side walls to center of tweeters.

70 in. between tweeters of each speaker.

speakers 12 in. from back wall and tweeked in a few degrees.

I set dead center at 13 feet. :P

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #3 on: 29 Jul 2006, 09:40 pm »
Zybar,

16'6" back literally puts you in another room, right.
How can your read your SQBox from that far back?
I don't think I've ever sat more that 11' from my speakers due to my rooms.  Nice to have that kinda space.  I do like pulling the fronts well out into the room, it's always been some of the best soundstaging I've heard with that method and I'd sacrifice some bass for it.

Do the recordings feel "intimate" at your current seating position or is it necessary to be at that distance to "take it all in" with your configuration.

You Salk owners sure wear a fella down.
I may have to start the Salk Account soon.

Thanks

If I set the SB text to large I can read it fine (thanks to some great laser eye surgery).

I converted the formal livingroom and dining room into my dedicated 2 channel space.  So yes, the gear is technically in one room and I am in another.  I tried sitting closer, but I prefer it right where I am at now.  Bass is outstanding and basically flat into the upper 20's even that far into the room.

I wouldn't call it intimate, but it doesn't feel like I am in the back either.  Very deep soundstage with this setup.

George

95bcwh

« Reply #4 on: 29 Jul 2006, 11:27 pm »

I have tried firing the speakers down the longer dimension of the room, I got better bass response, however, because of the limited width, the speakers had to be placed less than 6 ft away from each other, as a results, the soundstage wasn't as good as the setup shown in the above pictures. Now I use Tact 2.0S to get rid of the bass problem associated with sitting too close to my rear wall, I have also added 15 rolls of R13 into the small room, now I'm getting very good bass :thumb:

fredgarvin

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2006, 12:42 am »
Kinda off topic but Zybar, I have always sat 8ft. from my speakers to get the best soundstage. I recently had to move the room around to accomodate new furniture. When I resumed my 8ft. seating distance(but now facing the short wall) the soundstage was flat and in a real bass null. After much moving things around, I gave up and simply moved my chair back to 12ft. everything really opened up and deepened !with hard, smacking bass.  :green: Just shows how complex, or simple, room acoustics can be.

jermmd

« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2006, 01:07 am »

If I set the SB text to large I can read it fine (thanks to some great laser eye surgery).

George

George,
I'm glad you're finally happy with the eye surgery. For a while there, it seemed like maybe it wasn't all it's been cracked up to be.

jermmd

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2006, 01:15 am »
I get a deeper soundstage and more precise imaging with my speaker moved further out into my room but then they obstruct my movie screen for people sitting at either end of my listening couch. I have made a slight sacrifice by moving the speakers closer to the front corners. When I want to do serious, critical listening, I move the speakers further out. I've actually magic markered small circles on my rug for home theater vs. music listening. My wife hasn't noticed the marks yet but when she does, I figure I can blame it on the kids. :lol: