HT2 vs HT3

ludavico

HT2 vs HT3
« on: 21 Jul 2006, 03:02 am »

So how does the HT2 compare to the HT3?  Other than LF extension, do they sound like siblings?

jsalk

• Facilitator
    • Salk Signature Sound
Re: HT2 vs HT3
« Reply #1 on: 21 Jul 2006, 12:09 pm »
ludavico -

So how does the HT2 compare to the HT3?  Other than LF extension, do they sound like siblings?

The HT3's obviously have more bass extension, playing about 10Hz deeper than the HT2's. 

As for voicing, they are voiced similarly. 

Although the HT2's use a different ribbon tweeter (LCY vs. G2), there is essentially no audible difference here.  The W18's are essentially the same, although the HT2's use a standard W18 while the HT3's use the EX version which is slightly higher in terms of sensitivity.

Distortion levels in the midrange for the HT3's are low since the W18 is relieved of all bass duties.  With the HT2's, a pair of W18's share the load so distortion is low there as well.  No significant difference here.

Imaging is excellent with either design, as is detail and transparency.

If there is a difference, it is due to the D'Appolito MTM configuration.  My impression is that the HT2's may sound very slightly more forward than the HT3's.  My young assistant Mike prefers the HT2's in this regard.  He thinks they have a little more "punch."  I prefer the HT3's (perhaps due to the bass extension more than anything else), but could easily live with either speaker.

I hope this helps.

- Jim