Any DIYers in N.E.A.R.?

EthanH

Any DIYers in N.E.A.R.?
« on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:19 pm »
I'm building my first speaker project and was wondering if there were any DIYers around the Boston area.  I'd like to get enough solder to complete a pair of two-way monitors but don't want to order an enormous spool of the stuff from PartsExpress since it will likely be awhile before I embark on another project.  If I could get some solder in exchange for a couple bucks or beer or whatever that would be great.

Cheers,
Ethan

whubbard

Re: Any DIYers in N.E.A.R.?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:47 pm »
Hi Ethan,
While I am a DIY in N.E.A.R., I'm not near (hehe) you.
If I were you, I would just pick up 24 feet of the Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder:
http://soniccraft.com/products/connections/solder/cardas.htm
It's $6

It is personally my favorite solder and you will find a lot of others here saying the same thing.

-West

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2009, 05:59 pm »
Hi Ethan,
While I am a DIY in N.E.A.R., I'm not near (hehe) you.
If I were you, I would just pick up 24 feet of the Cardas Quad Eutectic Solder:
http://soniccraft.com/products/connections/solder/cardas.htm
It's $6

It is personally my favorite solder and you will find a lot of others here saying the same thing.

-West

West, what type of chair is this? I've never seen an ottoman quite like that, does it come with straps? :lol:

Ethan, I think sts9fan is a diy're and in your area, you might want to PM him. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Dan_ed

« Reply #3 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:13 pm »
Hi Ethan and all,

I'll second what whubbard posted about the Cardas solder. I bought 100' from Michael Percy several years ago and still have about half of it left. Very good to work with.

I do live just up the road in southern N.H. but it is not worth the trip.  :lol:

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:40 pm »
I try to at least...

whubbard

« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:52 pm »

West, what type of chair is this? I've never seen an ottoman quite like that, does it come with straps? :lol:

Ethan, I think sts9fan is a diy're and in your area, you might want to PM him. :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin

Robin,

It's a Sharper Image massage chair. Frankly it was just the nicest chair that wasn't in use elsewhere, so it was perfect for my listening chair. If I turn the massage function on, it makes noise, but it's not unbearable.  :D

I really wan't one of the Ekornes, but would rather spend the money on equipment.

-West

Back on topic now  :P

EthanH

« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2009, 11:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the heads up on the cardas - that actually does sound like a really good deal.  Hopefully shipping is not much.

stereocilia

« Reply #7 on: 14 Apr 2009, 03:31 am »
I wouldn't be a huge help in the DIY realm, although long ago I did successfully build a bottlehead foreplay preamp without catching anything on fire.  Just curious, do you have a speaker design in mind?