Moving to New England

Thebiker

Re: Moving to New England
« Reply #20 on: 4 Sep 2007, 02:17 pm »
TCG,
Yup, you are right.  I do feel right at home driving in Miami.  However, I did notice they seem to have more fatal accidents than Boston.  Must be the little old retired folk doing the minimum on the freeways while the working folk are rushing about.  Nothing quite as exciting as doing 80mph and having someone doing 40mph pull in front of you.... :uzi:, gets your adrenaline up and your blood pumping!

Dan_ed

« Reply #21 on: 4 Sep 2007, 04:59 pm »
EXACTLY!

The thing about S. Fla, which I'm sure is also true for other retirement hot spots, is that you get a real mish-mash of driving styles from all over the country.

klh

« Reply #22 on: 4 Sep 2007, 05:20 pm »
The attitude of the Boston Driver is really quite basic.  "He who hesitates is last".   :evil:

I have been commuting in and out of Boston daily since the mid-70's at this point from NH.  It actually has a logically flow if you pay attention and DON'T HESITATE.  If you do, you hold up traffic and piss off everyone around you.

I fully agree with this statement. I went to grad school in Boston (lived there for 5 years). The first four included riding my mountain bike to class (and I only rode the bus approx 3 times a year!). You just get used to it. There is an ebb and flow. The last year I commuted to Brockton from Quincy, but I still drove into town a lot. Believe it or not I actually thought the Boston drivers were polite. If you needed to change lanes or merge, people would let you... but you only had a split second to change lanes. If you didn't take it, you missed it and it was your fault. I think mostly there are just local unwritten rules of the road. An outsider doesn't know these things, screws up the flow, and then makes everyone who knows what they're doing late.

As for Miami, worst driving I've ever seen. I lived there for 6 months. They are not just aggressive but clueless. Drivers in Boston are very aware of what's going on around them. They may act like they don't and plow ahead, but they know what's going on. I didn't get that impression in Miami at all. As for California, nobody lets you merge for anything. Rude as hell, too.

rayd

« Reply #23 on: 5 Sep 2007, 07:58 am »
Welcome Ethan - you're right about the driving. Check out the Concord Prison rotary on Rt. 2 sometime during rush hour  :D (We're talking about a 2-lane rotary!!! :o )

This might be a helpful read before venturing out:

The Boston Driver's Handbook: Wild in the Streets--The Almost Post Big Dig Edition

Don't know if this is a New England exclusive, but one of my biggest peeves is people who don't clean the snow off the roofs of their cars/SUV's. Nothing like trying to evade a rock-hard icy projectile coming at you on the highway. UGHH!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #24 on: 5 Sep 2007, 01:59 pm »
The other thing that was freaky when I drove up in New England was that on Rt. 95 / Rt. 128 they open up the shoulders on both sides as driving lanes during rush hour times.

The first couple times, uninitiated to it all, I thought these Mass. drivers were absolutely the least courteous and worst drivers ever made.....that they are rude and they don't even pay attention to the lanes, fer chrissake, they drive on the shoulders to pass other cars even  :o

It's pretty freaky when you're an out-of-towner, trying to keep low-key on the extreme right lane looking for your exit lane...to have car after car buzzing by you to your right at high rates of speed  :roll:

I found out a few years later that drivers in and around Naples, Italy don't stay anywhere near the highway or autostrada lanes....at speeds well over 75mph.  They might be the casually worst drivers in Europe....but they were still more courteous than Boston drivers.

sts9fan

« Reply #25 on: 5 Sep 2007, 02:10 pm »
That lane drop is one of the biggest causes of traffic on 128.  I personally hate the shoulder driving.  It basicly it puts the aggressive drivers in both the far left and far right lanes insted of just the far left.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #26 on: 5 Sep 2007, 03:12 pm »
Well I hope all you guys stay out of southern New Hampshire for the rest of the week.  I just got myself a rental car.  Let the fun begin!

TheChairGuy

« Reply #27 on: 5 Sep 2007, 03:32 pm »
I personally hate the shoulder driving.  It basicly it puts the aggressive drivers in both the far left and far right lanes insted of just the far left.

Exactly put....the poor 'tweeners in the far right and left lanes are boxed in by the most aggressive drivers on right and left. I hand't thought of it that way, but that's exactly it  :o

stereocilia

« Reply #28 on: 6 Sep 2007, 12:36 am »
Speaking of drivers, last year I decided that I spend enough time in traffic to have some Alpine drivers and a sub installed along with an iPod interface.  It's no substitute for a home stereo but it takes the edge off the commute, especially now that the kids are back in school.

EthanH

« Reply #29 on: 6 Sep 2007, 01:37 am »
After two weeks of utter frustration I'm learning to out-boston most of the boston drivers up here. aa   It'd be more fun if I had full-coverage insurance, though. :( 

I'll be in jail soon. :lol:

Seriously though, how's Goodwin's High End?  I've never been to such a high-end store and would be interested in checking it out, especially since I live within a few miles of it.  I just kind of doubt I'd feel comfortable going in without having any intention to buy, although I'm sure some places have different vibes than others. 

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #30 on: 6 Sep 2007, 02:20 am »
After two weeks of utter frustration I'm learning to out-boston most of the boston drivers up here. aa   It'd be more fun if I had full-coverage insurance, though. :( 

I'll be in jail soon. :lol:

Seriously though, how's Goodwin's High End?  I've never been to such a high-end store and would be interested in checking it out, especially since I live within a few miles of it.  I just kind of doubt I'd feel comfortable going in without having any intention to buy, although I'm sure some places have different vibes than others. 

Try to visit during a slow period (like during a weekday afternoon) and just be honest with them.

If they are a decent place, they should treat you well and let you listen.

George

stereocilia

« Reply #31 on: 7 Sep 2007, 08:17 pm »

Personally, the five or six times I've been to Goodwin's High End the experience was very positive;  everybody there was professional and courteous.  The first time I stopped in on a weekday, I just identified myself as a new resident of New England and an audiophile and I was offered a tour of the available listening rooms. 

You may also want to check out SpearitSound and Natural Sound.  There are also a couple places in New Hampshire...maybe somebody here can chime in, I can't think of their names off hand.

Andrew JC

« Reply #32 on: 7 Sep 2007, 09:58 pm »

There are also a couple places in New Hampshire...maybe somebody here can chime in, I can't think of their names off hand.

I have purchased some items here.  http://www.ensemble-hometheater.com/  They have an excellent used section as well.

bacobits1

« Reply #33 on: 17 Sep 2007, 12:26 am »
You have Sound Images in Westport, MA too.

http://www.soundimagesinc.com/

D

Doublej

« Reply #34 on: 17 Sep 2007, 01:07 am »
Don't forget Fidelis in NH, the Audio Lab in Cambridge and Q audio

http://www.fidelisav.com
http://www.theaudiolab.om
http://qaudio.com

It's too bad The Listening Studio shut down. Clark's place was an experience.

BTW I believe Saturday is no appointment necessary at Goodwin's High End. You can just show up and check out the place.