Moving to New England

EthanH

Moving to New England
« on: 21 Aug 2007, 07:14 am »
Hello all,

I'm moving up to NE this week so I thought I'd take the time to introduce myself.  I've been into hifi for about two years, but as a lowly 1st year law student I have a limited budget and accordingly modest system.  I started my journey into audio through simultaneous exposure to high end car stereo and a friend's vinyl-hound father that owned a pair of Large Advents.  Since then I've dipped my feet into a tube integrated, pseudo-vintage Class A poweramp, various wastes of money, B&W monitors, and my current Totem Arros.  In the meantime I've worked in the sales and installation of home theater (in addition to a number of other jobs), but music has always been a great interest of mine.

Anyway, I guess I'd just like to say "Hi" and that I'm looking forward to hearing other systems at GTGs and what have you and seeing what the Boston area has to offer in the way of hifi.  I also don't know any New Englanders, so getting feedback about the non-hifi related things that the area has to offer is another incentive for my introduction. 

Well, that's it, can't think of much else to say at the moment.  I guess I'm just looking forward to living in the area and wanted to share some of my enthusiasm! Plus, I've been heavily celebrating my last week at home with my friends so I'm in a bit of an extroverted mood! :beer: 

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
Re: Moving to New England
« Reply #1 on: 21 Aug 2007, 09:55 am »
Welcome,

There are several high quality, low cost components and systems that come to mind.  Often the most enjoyable systems are the least expensive as we trade the simple pleasures for the exotic.  The biggest challenge ususally is having a good room to listen in.  At age 49 I finally got an audiophile man-cave, so like this morning I can listen to the 1812 Overture at 5am. 

Until you get "the" room (and can spend bunches of money) headphones for serious listening make lots of sense.  I did that for a couple of years while still in the dorms.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 21 Aug 2007, 11:37 am »
Welcome to town!

stereocilia

« Reply #3 on: 21 Aug 2007, 03:48 pm »

Allow me to be the third to offer a welcomendation.  I moved here from the midwest several years ago, and I know first-hand what it's like plop down in New England without knowing a soul.  Honestly, there were times when I thought it would have been easier to move to a different planet. 

Anyway, there are worse places for an audiophile to live.   I agree that finding a home around here with a proper listening space without neighbors to disturb is probably the toughest thing to contend with.

Again, welcome, it's good to have you here.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #4 on: 21 Aug 2007, 04:14 pm »
Welcome Ethan.   :wave:

We (my family) moved to the New England area about 1 1/2 years ago from New York.

I am just outside of Boston and I am happy to have people over to listen and hang out.

The people up here are nice and friendly as long as you don't talk baseball.   :nono:

Good luck finding a place and hopefully we will meet you soon.

George

sts9fan

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2007, 06:10 pm »
We are perfectly friendly as long as you root for the good guys. :thumb:

EthanH

« Reply #6 on: 24 Aug 2007, 10:31 pm »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  I just got here yesterday, and am appalled at the driving conditions up here! :cuss:  All the rotaries are heinous - really makes me miss the Philadelphia grid.  Guess I'll just have to deal with it. :dunno:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #7 on: 24 Aug 2007, 10:50 pm »
Thanks for the welcome guys.  I just got here yesterday, and am appalled at the driving conditions up here! :cuss:  All the rotaries are heinous - really makes me miss the Philadelphia grid.  Guess I'll just have to deal with it. :dunno:

AT the risk of getting flamed, drivers in this area are worse than NY!!

Something you will just have to get used to.

George

Andrew JC

« Reply #8 on: 25 Aug 2007, 12:24 am »
Welcome! Just wait for all the weather changes around here. Hope your at home having a cold one watching the Pats.

stereocilia

« Reply #9 on: 27 Aug 2007, 04:21 pm »
I agree about driving -- don't get me started.  Many intersections have a protected left turn (oncoming traffic still has red light), but no left turn arrow to let you know that it's okay to turn.  I think the intersection of School St. and Harvard St. in Brookline is like that.  I still don't know what to make of a flashing green light.  Try figuring out who has the right of way at the intersection of Concord Ave and Leonard St. in Belmont -- there will be no signs to help you.  Basically, the attitude here seems to be that if you don't have precognition then you should get off the road.  And whatever you do, don't expect other drivers to maintain a consistent speed even in the rare event of an open highway.   :icon_frown:

sts9fan

« Reply #10 on: 27 Aug 2007, 04:41 pm »
Is that the intersection that goes under the bridge in Belmont?  Heres what you do.  Just go.  I am pretty sure the right of way is to he with the balls to gun it. 

stereocilia

« Reply #11 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:19 pm »
Is that the intersection that goes under the bridge in Belmont?  Heres what you do.  Just go.  I am pretty sure the right of way is to he with the balls to gun it. 
that's the one.  I think if you make eye contact with another driver then you lose the right of way  :roll:
ugh.  now I'm thinking about surprise lane endings and shifts, blind intersections, lack of overhead signs for mandatory left/right/straight lanes, unmarked streets, unclear signs (i.e. handicapped spaces in Boston), short entrance/exit ramps.  I won't even talk about leaky tunnels.  It seems that nothing pleases a traffic engineer more than making an intersection as odd as possible.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #12 on: 27 Aug 2007, 06:51 pm »
The nastiest drivers in the world I think are in New England.  It's beyond me how generally nice folks outside of their car environment turn into nuts in their cars.  What the hell is with you New England guys in too many SAAB's and 4 wheel SUV's?

I'm from NY, have driven in Italy, France, Greece (and been to China many, many times)...so I've seen my share f crazy driving, but never so angry.  It's the weirdest thing to behold.

To make matters worse - 13-15 years ago or so - I used to drive up there in a company car with South Carolina plates. I've never been finger saluted so many times in my life as on route 95 around Dedham  :(

Other than that, it's a great part of the country / world.....but driving is risky and angst-filled  :o

Dan_ed

« Reply #13 on: 27 Aug 2007, 07:47 pm »
Let's not confuse Mass drivers with the rest of New England, please!  :P

TheChairGuy

« Reply #14 on: 27 Aug 2007, 07:52 pm »
That's true...it is Mass drivers I'm speaking of.  I don't remember being saluted in either Connecticut or New Hampshire.  I do remember some unpleasantness in Rhode Island, however...tho not nearly the level of anger encountered in Mass.

My (now deceased) friend Roy Port, an impish man with a big smile and hearty laugh from Plymouth area I think....became the devil incarnate behind the wheel of his giant black Lincoln Continental  :icon_twisted: The change in his demeanor behind the wheel was a bit frightening, frankly  :?

Dan_ed

« Reply #15 on: 27 Aug 2007, 08:03 pm »
I drive down to Mass from NH every day for work. There is a certain aggressive attitude that one needs to adopt once that border has been crossed. But if there is a traffic tie-up, it is more than likely a Vermont or Maine plate.  :lol:

EthanH

« Reply #16 on: 27 Aug 2007, 09:44 pm »
From my limited experience driving in NE I'd tend to agree about the craziness being concentrated amongst MA drivers (although CT's parkway can get a little hairy too).  By contrast, whenever I'm in New Hampshire its like every single car is driving Miss Daisy. :roll:

I learned how to drive in Jersey though, so I guess I have no right to criticize anyone! :jester:

Dan_ed

« Reply #17 on: 28 Aug 2007, 12:02 am »
I can relate. I moved up here 10 years ago from S. Florida. Needless to say I didn't find driving in Mass all that different.  :lol:

Thebiker

« Reply #18 on: 4 Sep 2007, 01:31 pm »
The attitude of the Boston Driver is really quite basic.  "He who hesitates is last".   :evil:

I have been commuting in and out of Boston daily since the mid-70's at this point from NH.  It actually has a logically flow if you pay attention and DON'T HESITATE.  If you do, you hold up traffic and piss off everyone around you.

TheChairGuy

« Reply #19 on: 4 Sep 2007, 02:09 pm »
I can relate. I moved up here 10 years ago from S. Florida. Needless to say I didn't find driving in Mass all that different.  :lol:

Yup, Miami is home of the most aggressive drivers, so you'd feel right at home.  If anything, a little warmer welcome in Boston  :)

I've driven twice in Miami, and have to concur with that....I didn't think anywhere could top NY and Boston for aggression, but Miami surely did (I seem to remember the real aggression beginning in Hollywood, FL and working it's way down (geographically) and up in intensity.

I lived in Washington DC for 8 years and driving there felt downright pleasant after 14 years driving in NY....I'm not sure they deserve their #5 ranking....but I also don't know who'd take their place  :scratch:

http://autos.aol.com/article/safety/v2/_a/road-rage-aggressive-driving-states/20070806101009990001