Any interest in a GTG at a shop?

sts9fan

Any interest in a GTG at a shop?
« on: 28 Feb 2007, 01:24 pm »
So I went to a local HIFI shop last saturday to look at some speakers and I had an idea.  Would anyone be interested in a possible get together at a shop?  Maybe have some sort of workshop like they have at the audio shows.  The place I went to has a pretty sweet layout and a real good time could be had there.  I contacted the owner just to see if this kind of thing was even possible and he did not say no so that is a start.
So what do you all think? 

Thebiker

Re: Any interest in a GTG at a shop?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:23 pm »
Considering your location and the speakers you have been shopping for (DeVore), you must be referring to Goodwin's High End.  Nice shop, real nice toys 8).

Depending on other commitments, I would consider stopping by.  I haven't been in Goodwin's in a long time and I don't know the staff there.  I do periodically check their web site, just to find out what they may have of interest.   I generally deal with the folks at Ensemble in Nashua.  It's closer to home for me.

sts9fan

« Reply #2 on: 28 Feb 2007, 02:31 pm »
You got it.  They are super nice over there.(based on one visit).  Anyway I would want to work this to get as many people there as we can muster.  This would also be a great way to meet on neutral ground. 

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #3 on: 28 Feb 2007, 04:05 pm »
I have been to Goodwin's and the Quads I heard there impressed me more than any other audio system I have heard today. 

I may have a slight in with the owner at Ensemble in Nashua.  If we get enough interest, I may be able to pull some strings.

sts9fan

« Reply #4 on: 28 Feb 2007, 04:11 pm »
That's fine also.  The ball is rolling at Goodwin's.  If you want to set one up elsewhere that's cool too.  I figured since the group(does having a forum make you a group?) has been in a constant state of fibrillation I thought I would make a move.

stereocilia

« Reply #5 on: 28 Feb 2007, 04:57 pm »
Sounds like a good idea to me -- count me in.  Of course, it would be up to the ownership of the shop.  Would it be outside normal business hours?  Weekday? Weekend?  Thanks for taking the initiative, here.

sts9fan

« Reply #6 on: 28 Feb 2007, 05:28 pm »
they are interested in having us but I want to work out the details here first.  Then fill them in on what we are looking for.  I would want it to be on a Saturday.  What would everyone be interested in checking out/talking about?  I would assume if they let us have a meet at their place they would want to show off what they got and not really promote other stuff.  We should keep that in mind. 

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #7 on: 28 Feb 2007, 05:39 pm »
I get Goodwins monthly newsletter and have always wanted to check out their place. But it would only be windowshopping for me, I'm not interested in adding anything to my system. :D

Robin

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #8 on: 28 Feb 2007, 05:44 pm »
http://www.goodwinshighend.com/

When I went to visit they only had one or two rooms available for listen.  I believe one room had people in it and the other room was the one with the Quads.

Other than the listening session, the coolest part was to walk by the Wilson Alexandrias, I think they were.  To see them up-close was cool to me.

sts9fan

« Reply #9 on: 28 Feb 2007, 06:06 pm »
Well if you aren't going to buy anything then I would stay home. :roll:

All kidding aside I understand that this would not be a shopping trip.  I was thinking of a workshop of some sort such as system measurement or speaker setup(just ideas).  Again I would have to see what the staff is intrested in also.  I did not link the shop because nothing is a done deal and did not want to imply that it was.  I think they have four or five rooms now so there is lots of room.  I would think they would reserve one/some for us.  Personally i would want to listen to those Wilson as well as the Magicos which I almost broke a knuckle on.  Lets throw so dates around how about 03/31/07?

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #10 on: 28 Feb 2007, 06:12 pm »
My opinion isn't usually one of the average demographic but would a GTG at someone's house be a better place to start?

sts9fan

« Reply #11 on: 28 Feb 2007, 06:18 pm »
Maybe but knowbody has offered but George so I thought this maybe a good way to meet.  Its just an idea if it gets shot down so be it.  Its not like this place is a hotbed of activity.

TF1216

• Facilitator
« Reply #12 on: 28 Feb 2007, 06:26 pm »
Haha, you make very valid points.

I feel cool because I have been to George's place too.  His system rocks, he is the coolest guy ever, and he makes these mean frozen burgers.

sts9fan

« Reply #13 on: 28 Feb 2007, 08:43 pm »
just stiring the pot ya know?

sts9fan

« Reply #14 on: 1 Mar 2007, 12:23 am »
bump for evening crew

stereocilia

« Reply #15 on: 1 Mar 2007, 02:05 am »
3/31/07 is fine with me.

The last time I was at Goodwin's it seemed to me that room acoustics was an area where they seem to be way ahead of the curve.  I think it's a great shop.  So, it seems that so far maybe, uh, four people are on this committee? That's a start.

Sorry to just jump in like I've been here forever with just a few posts, but I've lurked for a long time in audioasylum and eleswhere, and I've been an audiophile for more than ten years.  I have an appreciation for just about any music, but, classical or jazz have never been main dishes for me.  I imagine like most people here I'm surprised at what I like sometimes.  For example, the other day I was listening to Holly Cole and then I played some Jon Spencer Blues Explosion.  My five-year-old loves to sing along with "All these things I've Done" by The Killers.   My wife leaves the room when I play a Chris Whitley cd.  I leave the room when she plays Yaz.  So, hopefully I'm not as much of a 'just some random guy' now.

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #16 on: 1 Mar 2007, 05:51 am »
I could do this,,, all tho being a Vermonter I'm not familiar with the region. Using the internet, I could fudge it. Other than George's old NY system and another friend's AV123 system, I haven't had the opportunity to audition anything of quality. And I'm still looking foreward to hearing George's Ma. system.  :o  Considering that it's a 3+ hour drive for me to Waltham, it would need to be an afternoon gig,,,, no earlier than noon(which is my normal wakeup time anyways). :lol:

Robin

stereocilia

« Reply #17 on: 7 Mar 2007, 09:07 pm »
any updates?

sts9fan

« Reply #18 on: 7 Mar 2007, 09:21 pm »
doesn't look like its gonna happen.

ZooDog

« Reply #19 on: 16 Mar 2007, 01:52 am »
Anyone in NE who has not been to Goodwin's owes it to themselves to check it out.  I listened to the Wilson X-2's there a couple of years ago and it was mind-blowing.  I usually visit during the week so I don't know how busy they get on Saturdays, but I'd be in for a meet.  According to the website they have the Magico Model 6's on hand which I would love to hear.  All the sales staff are laid back and very knowledgeable.