Spatial Official Newsletter- August 2023

Spatial Audio

Spatial Official Newsletter- August 2023
« on: 25 Aug 2023, 10:26 pm »
SPATIAL AUDIO LAB

August 2023 Updates
By: David Whitt

Introduction

“Hey, Spatial Team!! What’s going on over there?”Glad you asked! We have been receiving questions from fans and people new to the audio world. Some of you have known Clayton, Cloud, and Ryan for a while and others have heard about “open baffle” design and want to know more. So, we will be putting out more content on a regular basis (at least monthly). We don't want to be “spammy” or “sales-y”. We prefer that the products speak for themselves. Toward that end, we have been heads-down getting stuff done.

X4 Updates and Other Products‍

Since March, we have done quite a lot to re-structure the organization to bring the X4 back to the market. Why the X4? Why not the “M”? What about the X3 and the powered X5? Great questions. First, there were quite a few orders on the books for the X4. If you were one of those people, THANK YOU for your patience and for giving us an opportunity to deliver on a very special listening experience. The X4 was made even better with the optional upgrade to a “cost-no-object” crossover variant, which most of our X4 customers took us up on.

No M? We love the M. If we could get the components for the M, we would bring it back. We haven’t given up on it. But, we are busy working on alternatives that we think will make a lot of people happy at a more affordable price... the Q6. If you were at Pacific Audio Fest in June, you may have heard a prototype.

X3? X5? Serious consideration for adding these later. Emphasis on “later”. If they do make a comeback, there will be meaningful development and tuning to ensure they are the best they can be and serve a purpose. Right now, there is plenty of room in our portfolio for great products that meet the varied desires of our audiophile community - room size, amplifier preference, music type, listening style, and, of course, budget.

Business Strategy‍

From a business standpoint, we won’t bite off more than we can swallow in what many people are forecasting to be a challenging economy. (Hope for the best - plan for the worst.) We are committed to a measured investment and growth plan that ensures continuity of operations and building confidence in our ability to deliver outstanding value.

Partnership with Don Sachs and Lynn Olson‍

Other big news? Don Sachs (http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/) and Lynn Olson (http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/index.html) are partnering with Spatial Audio Lab to bring their “Revelation Series” 300B mono block amplifiers and preamp into production. If you were at Pacific Audio Fest in June, you had a chance to meet Don and Lynn and to hear a nearly-finished example. These have been a passion-project of Don and Lynn for years with a seemingly endless cycle of tuning and experimentation to overcome the challenges inherent in making high(er) power, high-performing tube equipment for people who are relentless in their pursuit of the “ideal sound”.

Don will be personally training Sam, Cloud, and Ryan to build this very special trio. Production is scheduled to begin in October with first deliveries in November. (If you are interested in something special in time for Christmas, you can call Clayton at 435- 640-1294 about putting down a deposit!)

Revelation Amplifiers and Preamp‍

From Don and Lynn - “The Revelation Amplifiers and Preamp combine the most linear vacuum tubes with the most linear circuits possible ... fully balanced throughout, input to output, with precision custom-designed transformers. There is zero feedback, local or global, so the signal goes straight through the circuit on one pass, with no signal recirculation, comparators, or issues with transient stability or phase margin. All active devices are in true (thermal) Class A, all of the time, with no Class D time- slicing, no Class AB switching transitions, and no device saturation or high-order distortion from MOSFETs or bipolar transistors.

The classic Western Electric circuits of the 1930's have been brought into the 21st Century, with state-of-the-art power supplies with 130 dB of isolation ... not just from the incoming AC power, but from section to section. Distortion from the power tubes never cross-modulates with the input or driver, even at full clipping, and recovery is instantaneous. The power supplies for the 300B's have reserves eight times greater than the steady-state power rating of 27 watts. The preamp has a 60-watt supply!”

We are still negotiating all of the components and costs. But, we expect final pricing to be $20,000 for the pair of mono blocks and $4,800 for the preamp, plus shipping. A 50% deposit is required for the initial production run this year, with the balance due at the time of shipping.

Ultralam Equipment Platforms‍

Finally, we have had a lot of requests for Ultralam equipment platforms. You can expect to see these on the website before the end of September in different sizes to fit our amplifiers, preamp, turntables, etc. These are made from the same material that we use in our X4 speaker baffles and will include GAIA feet or carpet spikes.

As always, we appreciate your continued interest and support. Drop us a line on the support page, and we will get back to you. Or, give Clayton a call, and we will talk with you directly.

--
David Whitt,
General Manager
« Last Edit: 6 Sep 2023, 03:19 am by Spatial Audio »

Mr. Big

Re: Spatial Official Newsletter- August 2023
« Reply #1 on: 25 Aug 2023, 11:39 pm »
Sounds great. I truly hope you will have support for all the folks who purchased the M sapphires series from you and others. I could not even image you hang them out to dry after entrusting you with their hard-earned money. If you cannot support the tweeter that was used, then offer a new one for sale along with a upgraded crossover for those buyers.

Daryl Zero

« Reply #2 on: 26 Aug 2023, 05:00 am »
Thanks for the news David. It was really nice to meet you and your son Sam along with Cloud, Clayton, Don and Lynn in Seattle. I agree that you have some great products on the horizon.

Downtheline

« Reply #3 on: 26 Aug 2023, 06:09 am »
upgraded crossover for those buyers[/b][/i].

Also interested in upgraded crossovers for the x5!

ric

« Reply #4 on: 26 Aug 2023, 01:45 pm »
Thanks for the detailed update and hope Clayton is doing allright!

option-up

« Reply #5 on: 27 Aug 2023, 02:10 am »
Thanks for the update!
As an M4 Sapphire owner (down here in Australia) I'd also be very interested in an upgraded crossover option.

jhr1986

« Reply #6 on: 5 Sep 2023, 04:22 pm »
Thanks for the update.  Is a 12” and/or 15” driver version of the Q series in the works?

Don_S

« Reply #7 on: 5 Sep 2023, 05:37 pm »
Dave,

In the future consider putting a blank line between paragraphs. Do not run everything together. That is just basic formatting convention. I struggled through the newsletter on a 22" monitor. I imagine readers with smaller screens had a much worse time. The first time I tried to read the newsletter as posted I blew it off. Curiosity brought me back but that might not work for others.

Good luck and best wishes for your new business venture.

newzooreview

« Reply #8 on: 5 Sep 2023, 05:54 pm »
I have nothing to do with Spatial Audio (other than owning a wonderful pair of M3 Sapphires), but how does this look? I added a line return between paragraphs and specified 12pt Verdana. I also asked ChatGPT to generate sub-headings.

"
Spatial Audio Lab August 2023 Updates

Introduction
“Hey, Spatial Team!! What’s going on over there?”

Glad you asked! We have been receiving questions from fans and people new to the audio world. Some of you have known Clayton, Cloud, and Ryan for a while and others have heard about “open baffle” design and want to know more. So, we will be putting out more content on a regular basis (at least monthly). We don't want to be “spammy” or “sales-y”. We prefer that the products speak for themselves. Toward that end, we have been heads-down getting stuff done.

X4 Updates and Other Products
Since March, we have done quite a lot to re-structure the organization to bring the X4 back to the market. Why the X4? Why not the “M”? What about the X3 and the powered X5? Great questions. First, there were quite a few orders on the books for the X4. If you were one of those people, THANK YOU for your patience and for giving us an opportunity to deliver on a very special listening experience. The X4 was made even better with the optional upgrade to a “cost-no-object” crossover variant, which most of our X4 customers took us up on.

No M? We love the M. If we could get the components for the M, we would bring it back. We haven’t given up on it. But, we are busy working on alternatives that we think will make a lot of people happy at a more affordable price... the Q6. If you were at Pacific Audio Fest in June, you may have heard a prototype.

X3? X5? Serious consideration for adding these later. Emphasis on “later”. If they do make a comeback, there will be meaningful development and tuning to ensure they are the best they can be and serve a purpose. Right now, there is plenty of room in our portfolio for great products that meet the varied desires of our audiophile community - room size, amplifier preference, music type, listening style, and, of course, budget.

Business Strategy
From a business standpoint, we won’t bite off more than we can swallow in what many people are forecasting to be a challenging economy. (Hope for the best - plan for the worst.) We are committed to a measured investment and growth plan that ensures continuity of operations and building confidence in our ability to deliver outstanding value.

Partnership with Don Sachs and Lynn Olson
Other big news? Don Sachs (http://www.dsachsconsulting.com/) and Lynn Olson (http://www.nutshellhifi.com/library/index.html) are partnering with Spatial Audio Lab to bring their “Revelation Series” 300B mono block amplifiers and preamp into production. If you were at Pacific Audio Fest in June, you had a chance to meet Don and Lynn and to hear a nearly-finished example. These have been a passion-project of Don and Lynn for years with a seemingly endless cycle of tuning and experimentation to overcome the challenges inherent in making high(er) power, high-performing tube equipment for people who are relentless in their pursuit of the “ideal sound”.

Don will be personally training Sam, Cloud, and Ryan to build this very special trio. Production is scheduled to begin in October with first deliveries in November. (If you are interested in something special in time for Christmas, you can call Clayton at 435- 640-1294 about putting down a deposit!)

Revelation Amplifiers and Preamp
From Don and Lynn - “The Revelation Amplifiers and Preamp combine the most linear vacuum tubes with the most linear circuits possible ... fully balanced throughout, input to output, with precision custom-designed transformers. There is zero feedback, local or global, so the signal goes straight through the circuit on one pass, with no signal recirculation, comparators, or issues with transient stability or phase margin. All active devices are in true (thermal) Class A, all of the time, with no Class D time- slicing, no Class AB switching transitions, and no device saturation or high-order distortion from MOSFETs or bipolar transistors.

The classic Western Electric circuits of the 1930's have been brought into the 21st Century, with state-of-the-art power supplies with 130 dB of isolation ... not just from the incoming AC power, but from section to section. Distortion from the power tubes never cross-modulates with the input or driver, even at full clipping, and recovery is instantaneous. The power supplies for the 300B's have reserves eight times greater than the steady-state power rating of 27 watts. The preamp has a 60-watt supply!”

We are still negotiating all of the components and costs. But, we expect final pricing to be $20,000 for the pair of mono blocks and $4,800 for the preamp, plus shipping. A 50% deposit is required for the initial production run this year, with the balance due at the time of shipping.

Ultralam Equipment Platforms
Finally, we have had a lot of requests for Ultralam equipment platforms. You can expect to see these on the website before the end of September in different sizes to fit our amplifiers, preamp, turntables, etc. These are made from the same material that we use in our X4 speaker baffles and will include GAIA feet or carpet spikes.

As always, we appreciate your continued interest and support. Drop us a line on the support page, and we will get back to you. Or, give Clayton a call, and we will talk with you directly.

David Whitt,

General Manager

"

Don_S

« Reply #9 on: 5 Sep 2023, 06:03 pm »
Lines helped a lot but the font was overdone.  It was visual overload. :lol: Imagine reading on a smart phone.

newzooreview

« Reply #10 on: 5 Sep 2023, 06:28 pm »
I changed it to 12pt and had ChatGPT suggest some section headings.

Don_S

« Reply #11 on: 5 Sep 2023, 07:57 pm »
Section headings are a big improvement. Great addition. :thumb:

I used to write operating permits and closure plans for hazardous waste treatment, storage, and disposal facilities. Everything mattered.  :rules:

doggie

« Reply #12 on: 24 Sep 2023, 03:11 pm »
SPATIAL AUDIO LAB

August 2023 Updates

David Whitt,
General Manager

I have a pair of X5's that I like very much. I consider them to be end-game speakers for me.

Mine came with the larger 500w Hypex low frequency driver amp. I think that at the time Spatial was having a hard time getting the standard 250w amps in stock for the X5.

I have a question. Going forward will you still be able offer support for models that are no longer in production, both in and out of the warranty period, especially those with active components like the X3/X5?

Thanks a lot.
Paul

Spatial Audio

« Reply #13 on: 24 Sep 2023, 03:42 pm »
I have a pair of X5's that I like very much. I consider them to be end-game speakers for me.

Mine came with the larger 500w Hypex low frequency driver amp. I think that at the time Spatial was having a hard time getting the standard 250w amps in stock for the X5.

I have a question. Going forward will you still be able offer support for models that are no longer in production, both in and out of the warranty period, especially those with active components like the X3/X5?

Thanks a lot.
Paul

Yes, Spatial has amps in stock and Hypex will continue to produce them in the future.

Terence T.

« Reply #14 on: 24 Sep 2023, 08:19 pm »
Hi, I believe Spatial Audio is still producing Q6 speakers and I wish to know whether there will be any support for the M6 Sapphire speakers?

mrotino332

« Reply #15 on: 25 Sep 2023, 01:59 pm »
Doggie,

I have the X5s but with the 250 w amp.  I had spoken with Clayton a few months back and actually ordered a spare 250 amp just in case one of mine ever needed repair or failed which I'm told is rare but I wanted a spare on hand in case.  Spatial had several 250 watt amps in stock and those are readily available from the vendor as well but need the custom eq programmed by Spatial.  I'm not sure about the 500 w amps but those should also be easily ordered from the vendor if necessary.
The tweeters and woofers are also readily available but my understanding is the 12 inch custom mid for the X3/X5s are currently backordered by Eminence due to the Covid backlog.  So Spatial may not have any of those in stock but they could confirm this.  That also may be the reason those models are discontinued for now. 
The good thing is it would be highly unlikely the 12 inch mid would ever need replacing as it is not run full range and only picks up at 90 hz and doesn't move much.

The above is just my understanding and of course Spatial would know better.

doggie

« Reply #16 on: 26 Oct 2023, 01:56 am »
Is Clayton's new company part of Spatial Audio or related to it in any way?

Mr. Big

« Reply #17 on: 26 Oct 2023, 03:11 pm »
Is Clayton's new company part of Spatial Audio or related to it in any way?

No, he's doing what he did with his old company Emerald, selling the company and name for profit, then starting up another company spatial which does well, and its value goes up and he sells, then starts another company making the same speaker design under a new company name. That is his right.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #18 on: 27 Oct 2023, 06:17 pm »

Thanks a lot.
Paul

As part of the purchase agreement with Clayton, he retained the liability for warranty and supporting all of the previous products. The only exception being the X4 as that model had a backlog of orders to fulfill, we had the technical resources with experience making them and we were able to get parts. We understand that isn't necessarily a distinction that is accepted by many previous Spatial Audio customers. However, it was really the only solution that made sense legally since Clayton was unable to quantify what that liability looked like and he still had some spare parts and the tools to program the Hypex DSP, etc.
My understanding is that he has been responsive to people who have reached out for assistance. I believe Clayton intends to help when possible and we will also provide help on a best-effort basis for older products.

Mr. Big

« Reply #19 on: 28 Oct 2023, 03:44 pm »
Thank you for the reply. If I am reading this correctly, Clayton is responsible for all past designs that were sold when he owned the company, you are responsible for products sold moving forward. Did I get this right? So, if one has a problem say with the Sapphire M3 then the customer should reach out to Clayton?
« Last Edit: 28 Oct 2023, 06:19 pm by Mr. Big »