Opera fan? I need help.

geezer

Opera fan? I need help.
« on: 15 Mar 2009, 08:07 pm »
My wife and I both love to watch opera, and we're looking for a good DVD of The Marriage of Figaro. I've had problems before when buying disks on the basis of reviews on Amazon, only to find that the recording was not well done audiowise, so I'd like audio-quality reviews from those knowledgeable in opera as well as audio. (When watching DVDs, I run the audio through my two-channel system.)

We prefer recordings done in an opera house, with an audience, rather than those done as movies, and we don't like those that are "modernized". (We recently viewed a version of Falstaff that was set in modern times. It was awful.)

And by the way, tell us what are your favorites.  I'd like to know of any other opera DVDs that you feel have especially high quality audio as well as performance.

Geezer

dragonwhip

Re: Opera fan? I need help.
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2009, 07:45 pm »
Go to vinylengine and ask bauzace50. He can tell you.

geezer

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2009, 07:53 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like there are very few on AC interested in opera!

woodsyi

• Facilitator
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2009, 08:10 pm »
This is probably the best DVD out there but I have to admit I am not a big Opera video fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Marriage-Haitink-Glyndebourne-Festival/dp/B00008DDRM

It's a live recording and I am not sold on Fleming yet.  She has a lovely voice but she keeps herself aloof like she she is afraid to let everything hang.  One of the reviewer said the DVD music mix favored the orchestra.  This would not be good for me.  I like the '81 Decca recording with Solti, Popp, Te Kanawa and von Stade.

You really have to see Operas live at the theater.  Then you can play just the music in your room and visualize it in you mind.  I have been going for 20 years.  Tomorrow is Britten's Peter Grimes for me.  I haven't seen this one before.  I am looking forward to it.

geezer

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2009, 09:15 pm »
This is probably the best DVD out there but I have to admit I am not a big Opera video fan.

http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Marriage-Haitink-Glyndebourne-Festival/dp/B00008DDRM

It's a live recording and I am not sold on Fleming yet.  She has a lovely voice but she keeps herself aloof like she she is afraid to let everything hang.  One of the reviewer said the DVD music mix favored the orchestra.  This would not be good for me.  I like the '81 Decca recording with Solti, Popp, Te Kanawa and von Stade.

You really have to see Operas live at the theater.  Then you can play just the music in your room and visualize it in you mind.  I have been going for 20 years.  Tomorrow is Britten's Peter Grimes for me.  I haven't seen this one before.  I am looking forward to it.

I was aware of this recording, but was put off by the wide variations in the reviews, from very good (by the majority) to very bad (by a not so small minority). And what do you make of the comment by one reviewer who said There is no PCM layer, so there is no hifi sound. In my two-channel system, I've always used PCM. I didn't know there are DVDs without it. I don't know enough about the technology of recording and play-back to know if I could get sound without it.

These days I'm pretty much limited to seeing opera at home. Apart from the fact that, at my age, I don't have the stamina to survive a three-hour performance, I often am distracted when surrounded by many people.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #5 on: 21 Mar 2009, 04:03 pm »
I didn't find this one before.  http://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Figaro-Cotrubas-Pritchard-Glyndebourne/dp/B0002JYAG4
This is what  I would absolutely go for.  Ileana is the Diva for me.  :drool:

Something about her voice just gets me all mushy.

richidoo

« Reply #6 on: 21 Mar 2009, 05:33 pm »
I often am distracted when surrounded by many people.

Me too geezer, especially when the audience is coughing, talking, eating, and smelly. Concert etiquette is all but lost.

I don't have any opera DVDs, just a few CDs. But I do know that Arkive Music stocks 3000+ classical music DVDs, including opera titles. Click on the alphabet to find a specific title. I buy all my classical music from them, fast delivery and good customer service. They have a wishlist feature now too.
Rich

TerryO

« Reply #7 on: 21 Mar 2009, 05:47 pm »
I often am distracted when surrounded by many people.

Me too geezer, especially when the audience is coughing, talking, eating, and smelly. Concert etiquette is all but lost.

I don't have any opera DVDs, just a few CDs. But I do know that Arkive Music stocks 3000+ classical music DVDs, including opera titles. Click on the alphabet to find a specific title. I buy all my classical music from them, fast delivery and good customer service. They have a wishlist feature now too.
Rich

Rich,

Thanks for posting the links. I also like Opera, but with raising a family...well, you know the story.
It's far easier for me to watch a DVD than to drive to the Opera House, find parking, and pay ($$$) for the family. I'll have to start bugging the Public Library to add some of the DVDs to their inventory.

Best Regards,
TerryO

geezer

« Reply #8 on: 22 Mar 2009, 07:04 pm »
Good information. Thanks guys.

harrylime6

« Reply #9 on: 7 Apr 2009, 06:37 am »
Karl Bohm conducts on DG DVD 435409.
Or, for period performance, Gardiner conducts on DG (ARCHIV) DVD 073018.
Oddly, few choices available relative to the stature/popularity of this work - in my view.
-Harry

CR

« Reply #10 on: 31 May 2009, 03:04 pm »
I recommend that anyone should take a look a the belcantosociety.org web site. They have both audio and video recordings of operas as well as other material. Recently they have been transferring them onto dvd trying to clean up some of the "bad" video.

woodsyi

• Facilitator
« Reply #11 on: 1 Jun 2009, 02:24 pm »
Thanks CR for the information.  This reminds me to set up a sticky on Links for Opera on our circle.   :thumb: