Lonestar Audio Fest

nrenter

Re: Lonestar Audio Fest
« Reply #40 on: 3 May 2008, 02:39 am »
Just want to bump this thread. If you have a chance (and are in the Dallas metro area), stop on by LSAF '08.

I hit the 'fest for an hour or so this afternoon (only got to one room - Audio Federation / Audio Note). Neli was a very gracious hostess.

I have a hall pass for tomorrow (yea!), so I'll see y'all in the morning!!!

cryoparts

« Reply #41 on: 3 May 2008, 10:49 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I was able to get over to the Lone Star Audio Fest for a couple of hours today.  I took a few pictures, if you are so inclined you can view them here:

http://www.cryo-parts.com/lsaf_2008.html

Peace,

Lee

nrenter

« Reply #42 on: 4 May 2008, 01:44 am »
Good to see you there, Lee. Thanks for the pix!!!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #43 on: 4 May 2008, 05:36 am »
Hello Everyone,

I was able to get over to the Lone Star Audio Fest for a couple of hours today.  I took a few pictures, if you are so inclined you can view them here:

http://www.cryo-parts.com/lsaf_2008.html

Peace,

Lee
Thanks Lee....  :beer:

cryoparts

« Reply #44 on: 4 May 2008, 03:55 pm »
Good to see you too Nick.  I've got to come hear your new system,--one would think I would have been over by now seeing that I live just around the corner.  But, every time I start to make by way over there, I get sidetracked by the three Starbucks and the four donut shops that are on the drive over to your place.   :lol:

Thanks Chris.  Thanks for the beer toast, maybe we can have a real one at RMAF this year.

Here is a link to some more pictures (better than my amateur efforts) that Shane took:

http://lonestaraudiofest.com/2008/Photos/

I talked for a minute with Albert Porter, so he was there, so some professional pics should be up soon on Positive Feedback.

Peace,

Lee

mike1964

« Reply #45 on: 5 May 2008, 03:36 am »

Full range sound from a 5" Feastrex single driver, the MaxxHorn.  Really nice tractrix horns.

Yes, they're expensive.  The quality of the driver is impressive.  No physical connection between the driver and the baffle.

Absolutely stunning looks and sound to match from the 6.2w monoblock amps by Richard Gray, driving the AudioKinesis speakers.  Paralleled 10s driven by 1/2 of a 12AU7 and TV tubes. 

The AudioKinesis Dream Makers played deep, solid bass, driven by 6.2w a side.  Impressive sounding system.

and this was the preamp used, a modified Bottlehead.  Looks deceive - it sounded fantastic.

The Audio Note room, playing vinyl.

« Last Edit: 5 May 2008, 02:19 pm by mike1964 »

Brad

« Reply #46 on: 8 May 2008, 04:12 am »
Just wanted to say some thanks

First - to all who made it by the room and enjoyed some tunes and cerveza.  The system was sounding pretty good by Fri night and it played all the way through until Sunday afternoon.  Everyone brought lots of great music to listen to.  I hope they enjoyed the somewhat schizophrenic mix we were playing. :guitar: :drums: :wine: :rock: :dance:

Next - to Jeff who set us up right at Dodie's for some terrific Cajun food.  I ate at one Dodie's Fri night and the right one Sat night. :wink:   Excellent spicy cole slaw, blackened shrimp/catfish/redfish, and yum cream of crab soup and bread pudding.  The hurricanes were just right - not too sweet. :thumb:

And to Marvin, who brought his Straley Reality Cables by for me to hear in my system on Sunday.  They are a great match with the Hawthorne SI coaxes.  VERY VERY nice cables. 8)

I made it to more of the rooms for a while this year.  I liked the Maxxhorns and that single driver.  The vinyl
was nice in the Audio Note room.
Classic rock sounded really good in Wayne Parham's room.  Duke played some interesting piano on his Dream Makers.
The other sound I liked was the vintage Altecs in OB, with a vintage 18" driver also in OB for a sub.  John Busch went all out on his artwork promoting them, too.  I have some pictures I will post hopefully tomorrow.
I didn't get to spent much time in Bob Brines' room, but his seminar on TLs was quite informative.  He's pretty funny at dinner too.

Cheers all

Wayne Parham

• Pi Speakers
    • Pi Speakers
« Reply #47 on: 8 May 2008, 06:33 pm »

I had a really great time at LSAF.  The rooms are never great acoustically, but I thought the room worked for us.  I was a little worried before getting there because Bob Spense said my room was a nightmare for him last year.   But it sounded good for us, so room 715 didn't have an acoustic ghost.    :icon_lol:

I was disappointed I didn't get a chance to stop by your room, Brad.  This is the second year in a row that I've had my hands full and missed your room.  I also wanted to spend some time in Jim Harrell's room and listen to his Jumping Cactus speakers.  But with manning the room, recording the seminars and having a 20 month old running around, my hands were full.

Brad

« Reply #48 on: 8 May 2008, 11:08 pm »
Some pics:   

Marvda1 (Marvin) attempts the Lonewolf pose

Nice artwork by John Busch

John B's Vintage Altecs in OB, front

John B's Vintage Altecs in OB, rear

That John guy drinks a lot

A dude named "Vaughn" posing with the Carina.  He MAY change his last name to "Audio"

My new duet baffles, maple frame around vintage brown speaker cloth, Carina in background

nature boy

« Reply #49 on: 9 May 2008, 12:54 am »
Brad,

Thanks for the post and pix's.  I really like your new Hawthorne
Silver Iris Duets.  They look great and probably sound even better.

I have my eye on one of Eddie's "soon to be in production"
el34 amps. 

Cheers,

NB

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #50 on: 9 May 2008, 03:37 am »
Thanks for the photo's.... :beer:

SET Man

« Reply #51 on: 9 May 2008, 03:41 am »
Hey!

Wow!  :o Look at all those mouth watering single driver speaker and all those tube stuffs. :drool:

That sure look like my kind of audio show. :wink: Thanks for the photos. :D

Take care,
Buddy :thumb;

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
« Reply #52 on: 9 May 2008, 09:46 pm »
the rooms i enjoyed the most were the maxxhorn room where the ayon spark integrated :drool: had a much better sound than the art audio carissa (to my ears).  the audiokinesis room where duke's new speakers were awesome and what can i say about richard gray's new monobolcks :drool:.  and of course brad's hawthorne room wit plenty of beer.  have to lay off that beer  :cry: getting a little chubby :lol:
can anyone else chime in on what they thought about the ayon spark in the maxxhorn room?
i'm now looking into one of these as i would need the extra power:
http://www.usatubeaudio.com/ayon-spirit.php
« Last Edit: 10 May 2008, 03:04 am by marvda1 »

Brad

« Reply #53 on: 10 May 2008, 02:33 am »
Marv,

did you decide if you wanted to sell your speaker cables yet?

Buddy,

Your system would have been right at home at LSAF.
EVERY room had a tube amp of some sort  8)

rcarlton

• Mr. Waddles listening to the K-horns.
    • Ron Carlton's webpage
« Reply #54 on: 11 May 2008, 08:36 pm »
Had a terrific time. Thanks to all who displayed their wares and to all those who showed up! :thumb: