The Importance of Transformers

bluesky

The Importance of Transformers
« on: 16 Sep 2009, 01:53 am »
This is  general question regarding the importantance of transformers to the sonics of Aksa components.

There is the one extreme of Audio Note making all silver wire TX's with exotic cores and then the other end of the spectrum where any old industrial grade toroidal from your local electronics supplier is all that is needed.  One friend of mine uses huge 1kV TX's in all his components in the belief that the extra power is of great benefit in complex musical passages.

My thoughts are that perhaps something in the middle might be worth it, namely that a Chinese origin R Core TX of decent quality might add a bit to sonics, and certainly shouldn't hurt at all anyway.  R Cores are supposed to be a bit better especially with radiated magnetic fields and have a bit smaller foot print which would make it easier when you fit everything into the chassis.

Having said all that I do wonder if careful attention to placement and routing of wires may well be the most effective thing to do and perhaps a bit of additional shielding of both the TX and wiring would yield the most in terms of quietness and sonics.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated on this subject as I am just in the process of doing the chassis on a 55watt Nirvana Plus for a good friend of mine who has been enormously patient with my slow progress on building his amps.

Ian   

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
Re: The Importance of Transformers
« Reply #1 on: 17 Sep 2009, 07:55 am »
Ian,

Vexed question, a diversity of opinions, and quite a bit of controversy.

First, two tcategories of transformers for audio - type I for power suppies, and type II, for handling signals in the audio chain. Type II is very special, and can be outrageously expensive, particularly the single ended output transformer which is quite difficult to wind optimally because it passes a large DC current at all times, typically 60-120mA.

For power supplies, if the rectification and the caps and the topology is good, then the transformer assumes less importance.  In fact, you can launch and argument that a transformer with restricted output surge due to saturation, undersize, or plain bad quality, might even sound better.  I have agonised over the choice of appropriate power trans for the AKSA/LF/Soraya, finally settling on the toroidal, because it is compact, has low magnetic field radiation at low output, is relatively cheap, and has low profile, making it ideal for the wide, slim cases of audio amplifiers.

There are C cores, R cores, and EI transformers, and others too.  All have their advantages and disadvantages.  Generally, the choice comes down to cost, size and weight, with performance, measured by regulation under full load (the voltage under full load is expressed as a percentage of the voltage at no load, lower the better).

I have found that the transformer does not make much difference to the sound, although one transformer flaw stands out - mechanical hum.  This comes back to how well the core, made of a wound strip for a toroid and laminated plates for the EI, is potted.  If not completely covered in potting compound, they can hum as the magnetic field builds and collapses under the mains influence.  Hum can be a real problem in transformers if it's mechanical in origin, and toroids can be very susceptible to such problems.

Hope this is helpful,

Hugh

bluesky

Re: The Importance of Transformers
« Reply #2 on: 19 Sep 2009, 02:34 am »
Hi Hugh

Thanks for this information.  I did not really anticipate much difference but a friend of mine, a retired electrician who mentors me, likes the R Cores and he has a stack of old ones in his garage which are rated at 24V which is close enough to 25V to not make much of a difference.

Of course I would have to beat off all the red backs that inhabit his garage area and so far I have been too chicken to stick my hand into the pile of old parts for fear of being bitten by the little critters.

I want my Lifeforce amp to be my "amplifier for life" and it will be the best I can make, within reason.  One problem with me trying to read up technical manuals is that I usually end up being more confused after trying to learn more!  Our mutual "friend" who lives nearby always uses huge trafos of 1kV in all his components but my thinking is that if something really does work then it would be common knowledge and get around the traps pretty quickly if it had a lot of validity. 

Cheers

Ian