VSonic queries

studley

VSonic queries
« on: 12 Apr 2009, 01:19 pm »
Some questions if I may re these speakers:

1. I know (understandably) that Hugh says his amps are a perfect match for these speakers,  but given the 5.3ohms min impedance and 89db sensitivity I would have thought that lower powered amps  (20 - 25 wpc ?) would drive them without sonic losses.  Can anyone confirm this from experience ?

2.  Are there any generous VSonic owners in the UK who might be willing to demo them to me?

AKSA

• http://www.aksaonline.com
Re: VSonic queries
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2009, 02:06 pm »
Hi Studley,

Yes, indeed, 25W amps would do fine, and I've actually driven them to conversational levels with my rip snorting 1.8W single ended triode amp, just for a laugh.  In truth, I didn't laugh, I picked my jaw up off the floor......

There is one in Kent, in fact, but at this stage I understand it's not yet built, but I can keep you posted.

These speakers are quite similar in sound to the PMC transmission line, the OB1.  They have a little more clarity and bass, but the tonal balance is alike.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Hugh

bluesky

Re: VSonic queries
« Reply #2 on: 13 Apr 2009, 09:56 am »
Hi Studley

I can state that you won't have any problems at all driving the V Sonics with your 25 watt amplifiers.  I have a set of Aksonics which have a slightly lower sensitivity than than the new V Sonics.  I have run several low powered amps through the Aksonics that have passed through my home on a couple of occasions.  These amps included a 20 watt 845 amp and the second a 3 watt tube amp.  I was very surprised that both of amps drove the Aksonics to painful levels. 

In fact, I at one time I had installed some upgrades in 3 watt tube amp for a friend which was put aside once complete.  Sometime later I was blasted with some very loud grunge type music coming from one of my son's bedrooms.  I stormed in and was startled to discover that he'd snaffled the tube amp to try out in his own small audio system!

Bluesky