M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction

Spatial Audio

Re: M5 Sapphire - All new M design introduction
« Reply #20 on: 9 Jul 2019, 01:41 pm »
Clayton,

How will the M5 and M3 perform with low wattage tube amps - say 4 watts?  Is the impedance curve pretty flat for the dome?  Would you recommend bi-amping if we used a low wattage tube amp with the sapphire dome driver?

Low wattage tube amps will work nicely with the M5 Sapphire because the impedance curve is smooth and 8 Ohms nominal. If you bi-amp, they will work even better. The mid/treble driver stays between 8 and 10 Ohms.

Clayton

ric

« Reply #21 on: 9 Jul 2019, 01:46 pm »
Agreed with Clifford Brown. Since I DID upgrade (and post) the Xover's in the M3 Turbo S, I can attest to the improvements made when the crossover becomes more transparent. I would imagine that with no crossover the sound would be similar (better) that what I am hearing now, which is much more attack/decay, much more weight of notes, an open airiness to the sound that goes much more verticle than before. This openness adds to the live feel of the performance, and at the same time sounding more natural.
I imagine these new speakers will really set a new bar for what is possible at this price point.
Oh, and as good as the upgraded Turbos sound, the sound improved with the addition of DIY High Fidelity products using magnet technology. I guess sound improvement never ends.
Good luck with the newest!....

yakbob

« Reply #22 on: 9 Jul 2019, 03:01 pm »
Oh boy, the X series speakers had me excited, but would be a stretch for me from a price perspective. The M3 sapphire sounds like a good compromise if I can't swing for the X5.
Wood finish would make it a slam dunk for my wife, who currently tolerates my red M3Ts. Hoping that Walnut veneer is one of the options.

I really look forward to more details and photos on the Sapphire series.  :thumb:

aniwolfe

« Reply #23 on: 9 Jul 2019, 08:00 pm »
So the M3's will be released next year and the M5's in August? The M3 slider says new for 2020  :(

Also, is the dome made out of what material?...don't say Sapphire lol

RonN5

« Reply #24 on: 9 Jul 2019, 09:19 pm »
So the M3's will be released next year and the M5's in August? The M3 slider says new for 2020  :(

Hello aniwolfe...haven't seen you posting much on Audiogon these days.

Aren't speaker years like car model years....they always come out 4-6 months early?

Here is a definition of Sapphire from Accuton that may apply:

Ceramic

"Alpha corundum or sapphire is a very good choice for the production of loudspeakers. Our invention enables a light and at the same time stiff membrane which is also well damped. Our unique ceramic loudspeakers meet all requirements"

And who knows...maybe the unit itself is an OEM version of this:

https://accuton.com/en-home/produkte/lautsprecher/keramik/Keramik-C51-6-286CELL

I really like the fact that Clayton seems to push the boundaries on the drivers he employs...and I'm pretty sure the new Ms are going to sound very good.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #25 on: 9 Jul 2019, 09:23 pm »

The M3 Sapphire is set for 2020 model year, but it will ship next month along with the M5.

Yes - Sapphire :-) synthetic Sapphire Ceramic. Super stiff - super light. It doesn't seem to have any self-sound or added character overlaid onto the sound. I love it.

Clayton

aniwolfe

« Reply #26 on: 9 Jul 2019, 09:26 pm »
Thanks Ron and Clayton!

Synthetic Diamond Next?  :lol:

Anycase I am very excited to hear this new gen M series!

RonN5

« Reply #27 on: 9 Jul 2019, 09:56 pm »
Clayton... what will the dimension and weight be for the M3?

Also... can you say a few words about the difference between the sapphire driver sound and the AMT sound?

Thanks

Spatial Audio

« Reply #28 on: 9 Jul 2019, 11:22 pm »
Clayton... what will the dimension and weight be for the M3?

Also... can you say a few words about the difference between the sapphire driver sound and the AMT sound?

Thanks

M3 Sapphire Dimensions: 48T x 18W x 3D
Net Weight Each: 76 lbs
Price: $4200 pr.

The two drivers actually sound quite similar in the sense that they are both clean, neutral and smooth sounding, almost without character. The AMT is waveguide loaded, so it has a narrower and more controlled pattern. In large rooms and reflective rooms, this AMT is a better choice. They both work well in normal sized rooms that are not too live. They both produce a beautiful stereo field.

Clayton

Spatial Audio

« Reply #29 on: 9 Jul 2019, 11:35 pm »
First public image of the M3 Sapphire with Direct Drive Sapphire Dome and Dual 15 inch Dipole woofers.

« Last Edit: 15 Jul 2019, 10:47 pm by Spatial Audio »

sumoking

« Reply #30 on: 10 Jul 2019, 12:08 am »
Sweet! The M3 Sapphires look awesome!
Great work!

underdog64

« Reply #31 on: 10 Jul 2019, 12:59 am »
Clayton-What is the lowest bass response (frequency and degree) of the M3 Sapphires?

davek

« Reply #32 on: 10 Jul 2019, 01:47 am »
Hi Clayton, the new M3,5 look great, another question...would 12" drivers on an M3 variant be possible (like a passive X5) and, if so, lose much bass extension and impact? In my setup that would get the tweeter more ear level cause I sit fairly close in my smallish room. X5 or M3, such decisions..Great lineup!

Spatial Audio

« Reply #33 on: 10 Jul 2019, 02:03 am »
Clayton-What is the lowest bass response (frequency and degree) of the M3 Sapphires?

Thanks for your overwhelmingly positive response to the new M models. Just wait till you hear them my friends!

The M3 Sapphire is solid to 30Hz with no apologies. Crisp and impactful.

Spatial Audio

« Reply #34 on: 10 Jul 2019, 02:08 am »
Hi Clayton, the new M3,5 look great, another question...would 12" drivers on an M3 variant be possible (like a passive X5) and, if so, lose much bass extension and impact? In my setup that would get the tweeter more ear level cause I sit fairly close in my smallish room. X5 or M3, such decisions..Great lineup!

Either sensitivity or deep bass cutoff would be compromised. The X5 gets around this with a powered 12" sub driver and DSP control.  The M3 Sapphire as it stands works perfectly for a passive design.

Clayton

SnowPuppy77

« Reply #35 on: 10 Jul 2019, 02:12 am »
Clayton,

If you decide to go to RMAF would be great to hear a pair of M5 or M3.

bobh123

« Reply #36 on: 10 Jul 2019, 11:26 pm »
Hi Clayton:  Very excited about the new M and X series.  Will you be showing these at CAS in Oakland later in July?  I don't see Spatial on the current exhibitors list.  Bob

harley.guy07

« Reply #37 on: 11 Jul 2019, 02:30 am »
Very nice looking speakers. I am a very happy M3 Turbo s lover with no plans to change as of now but these look like they would be sweet. Will there be any trade in deals for current M series owners. I just bought a new DAC pre so my wife is taking me out of the market for a while but you never know what the future can bring.

aniwolfe

« Reply #38 on: 11 Jul 2019, 03:41 am »
Will there be any trade in deals for current M series owners.

Clayton mentioned that in his opening post

"Spatial customers can contact me regarding M3 and M4 trade-in pricing."

harley.guy07

« Reply #39 on: 11 Jul 2019, 04:30 am »
Clayton mentioned that in his opening post

"Spatial customers can contact me regarding M3 and M4 trade-in pricing."

Sorry must have missed that looking at the pictures and drooling!!!! :lol: