Signature 16 as a preamp!

audiowhore

Signature 16 as a preamp!
« on: 29 Oct 2013, 01:03 am »
Has anyone tried their Sig 16 as a preamp? I recently purchased one from Vinnie and really enjoyed it with my Avantgarde Uno 2.2 that I purchase second hand.The detail into the recordings was incredible! A little sonic glare that might be just because it's new and needs to break in...So being who I am I decided hook up my Art Audio Diavolo amp thru the Sig 16...WOW!!! I couldn't believe my ears.What a awesome Preamp.Simply  said it just plays music beautiful music. Just wanted to see if anyone else has given this little jewel a try as a preamp...Take care all...

Alwayswantmore

Re: Signature 16 as a preamp!
« Reply #1 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:01 am »
Has anyone tried their Sig 16 as a preamp? I recently purchased one from Vinnie and really enjoyed it with my Avantgarde Uno 2.2 that I purchase second hand.The detail into the recordings was incredible! A little sonic glare that might be just because it's new and needs to break in...So being who I am I decided hook up my Art Audio Diavolo amp thru the Sig 16...WOW!!! I couldn't believe my ears.What a awesome Preamp.Simply  said it just plays music beautiful music. Just wanted to see if anyone else has given this little jewel a try as a preamp...Take care all...
....hummmm. Sonic glare is not something I associate with the Sig 16 (I've owned all of Vinnie's entry level amps, 16 included). Give it 100 hours of break in prior to rushing to any judgements. And if you still have glare, take a look at speaker "placement first. Room (as in acoustic panels) second, then finally tube rolling. No matter what you do, you own it to yourself to do some research on this forum regarding tube choices. The stock JJ is simply the entry point. With a little research and the right tube selection, swapping tubes holds much promise to improve what you hear. Good luck, Kent

Alwayswantmore

« Reply #2 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:07 am »
.....hummm x2.... Actually, I'm own single drivers from Omega, so our speakers are very different. Maybe someone else more familiar with your speakers will add to the dialog. K

Vinnie R.

• Industry Contributor
    • http://www.vinnierossi.com
« Reply #3 on: 1 Nov 2013, 01:45 am »
Hi audiowhore,

Yes, the Signature 16's tube buffered preamp outputs are really good.  At one of the shows this year, I used it feeding
directly into the Liliana Monoblocks (so we could switch between the amps when attendees wanted to listen to one or
the other) and a handful of people were scratching their heads because the Sig 16 makes for a great preamp for just under
$2k.... with the BONUS of a speaker output stage  :thumb:

Kent is correct - once you get closer to 100 hours, it's going to gel for you.  The Avantgardes are super revealing and probably
let you hear the changes through the burn-in process.

Thanks for posting!

Vinnie