Fraudulent Customer list on hifiman.com? WTF?

rif

• Not a cowboy
Fraudulent Customer list on hifiman.com? WTF?
« on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:14 pm »
I've never seen or heard of a manufacturer doing this.  Why would they?  When running a business, you expect to have a few issues with less than honest customers, right?  Part of the cost of doing business unfortunately I thought.

What do they expect to gain by calling a few of them out publicly? I don't even know what a fraudulent customer is, but I can make a guess or two.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Fraudulent Customer list on hifiman.com? WTF?
« Reply #1 on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:23 pm »
I have see it a few weeks a go, I have dont mentioned it as I do not want have anything to do with it, in China law is not the same as in western.

sandbagger

« Reply #2 on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:30 pm »
have a direct link as I would like to see what is going on.
I know some of the show support and might be able to get the real info

rif

• Not a cowboy
« Reply #3 on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:41 pm »
I have see it a few weeks a go, I have dont mentioned it as I do not want have anything to do with it, in China law is not the same as in western.

Me either, but i think I walked a line OK.  I didn't provide a direct link on purpose.  And I don't think I was overly critical of the way they conduct themselves, it was just so unusual to see.  I mainly posted it as informational, as I thought other might be interested too since I was. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 4 Jul 2018, 11:46 pm »
Some those headphones are quite expensives an Susvara are 6 grand.

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #5 on: 5 Jul 2018, 01:10 am »
Well, I think the idea is to shame the person and expose them for probably not payment or using fake credit cards.

I've seen this at businesses before where people's names are posted at the counter. It used to be for writing bad checks. Of course it's harder to get away with not paying now.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 5 Jul 2018, 01:58 am »
HifiMan is a small new company and his prices are not as high as those of Seenheiser(HD600/650 just recently lowered his prices from retail level), its profit margin is not large, so any loss have impact.

sandbagger

« Reply #7 on: 5 Jul 2018, 02:19 am »
Did some digging on HeadFi

From what I can tell as I never saw an official post from them but..

The consensus was those are people using bad cards/package drops that are known of. 
One thread even found one of the addresses used was the same as a members package had somehow gotten rerouted to the same drop..... never to be seen again.

I wouldnt worry about it one bit, wont impact any legit purchaser, might make a CC scammer think twice though

Bemopti123

« Reply #8 on: 5 Jul 2018, 02:45 am »
It seems to me that in the US, whatever site or venue, if one was to disparage someone else, the site and the venue might be held liable to lawsuits, which forces many places to have a 'no laundry policy.'  I guess this is not something that Hifiman is worried about if they are based in China.  Anecdotally, if you have seen a business  being run by people from mainland China, in the US, you will see mug shots taken of people who attempted to shoplift in the store.  These people can be of any race and mettle and the fact is that they post these pictures and a brief explanation of why they have their mug shot taken.
Something similar also happens in the deep South, where gas station convenience stores sell thin magazines with pictures of local people with mugshots.

While for some people who have never seen known cheats exposed as blatantly as this, well, it is a lesson in cultural differences. 

A good read... https://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/22/nyregion/22shoplift.html

wushuliu

« Reply #9 on: 5 Jul 2018, 05:27 am »
Because we live in an age now of billion dollar profits off counterfeit products. Have you not heard about Amazon's major problem with fake/unauthorized products? It's rampant. And it could be anything: lotion, clothes, you name it. Especially anything to do with electronics, and *especially* geek favorites like Hifiman.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 5 Jul 2018, 08:03 pm »
I could not like to buy a fake HifiMan phones since they sell it at affordable prices especially open box and refurb.

Johnny2Bad

« Reply #11 on: 6 Jul 2018, 04:49 am »
You can't lose a defamation suit (or any lawsuit, yes, even in America) when *you limit your comments to provable facts*. If you are calling people names, or stretching the truth, you're going to find yourself in trouble. Maybe the problem is people don't know how to limit any public comment about an individual to facts alone.

I don't know about posting face photos of people who "attempted to shoplift" but certainly if you have video evidence of someone putting a turkey down their pants you can say "this person put a turkey down their pants". Where you might open yourself to a lawsuit is if you said they were "shoplifting" when they don't leave the store before being caught, or when they are not charged and convicted. Just stick to the facts; everybody will come to the proper conclusion.