Classical Box Set ?

weirdo

Classical Box Set ?
« on: 20 Sep 2009, 03:42 pm »
Any recommendations for good classical box sets? Actually, good classical used in M or NM would be helpful. Thanks.

I was very lucky recently to pickup a Columbia House 6 record set called  "Festival of Classical Hits" The recordings are mostly NY Phil. and Philadelphia Orc.  The set is from 1974. I got it for 5 bucks at Goodwill. What a gem. Beautiful Columbia and CBS house recordings. Makes up for a lot of mediocre to lousy box sets I have picked up recently.

steve k

Re: Classical Box Set ?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Sep 2009, 07:10 pm »
If you can find any of the box sets of the Quartetto Italiano playing Beethoven's string quartets on Phillips, they're wonderful performances and recordings. I was lucky enough to find two box sets of them playing the Rasoumovsky Quartets at local Goodwills. They're excellent.
steve

vinylphilemag

• Vinylphile magazine
« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2009, 07:12 pm »
THere's a few in my collection I'd recommend: The Stravinsky Ballets set from (IIRC) Speakers Corner and The Moscow Sessions from Sheffield Lab.  I'll be ordering the complete Beethoven Syphonies boxed set soon too.  Herbert von Karijan conducting the Berlin Philharmonc: nice!

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2009, 08:30 pm »
Check the link in my sig.