Best amplifier for timepiece 3.0

bhobba

Re: Best amplifier for timepiece 3.0
« Reply #20 on: 19 May 2008, 12:15 am »
Wild that you mentioned that DU.  I was on the phone with Simon today and we chatted for a long time about the Spectron Musician III Sig Mark II's in mono amp config (two cables, both driving same channel, one in phase, one out).  My Rev Mundorf Ultimate soulmate, Karsten, is incredibly impressed too.....in fact, he's blown away by them.   :thumb:

Scratching head.  Any reason why you would do that instead of bi-amping them - ie one amp for the tweet - one for the wooffer.  I know Bobs crossover is exceptional and people report they simply can't hear it but technically bi-amping removes any possibility of driver interaction.  I was able to clearly hear the benefits with my current speakers. Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Bill

ooheadsoo

« Reply #21 on: 19 May 2008, 12:44 am »
Because it's the woofer that can use all the clean power it can get.

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #22 on: 19 May 2008, 01:29 am »
And the Spectrons triple their power (and most importantly double their headroom) in this fashion. :thumb:

RodMCV

« Reply #23 on: 23 May 2008, 02:55 am »
Wow, read the latest on the Spectron Musician 3 SE now in MK2 version.
Don't know how to link, but it is on the Audio/Video Industry, Talk and Events, Announcement-Spectron.
Now that is Great.
Continuous refinement of a quality product.
Makes me think of SP-Tech Master Bob.
Match made in heaven, this amp n those speakers?

Double Ugly

« Reply #24 on: 23 May 2008, 03:05 pm »

Seems awfully good from my perspective, and according to Simon, it only gets better with the Mk2 update. 

Simon is a straight shooter IME, and he won't hesitate to tell you to *not* buy something if he doesn't feel you'll benefit.  Nevertheless, he is very impressed with the Bybee mods, and I'll probably get those, too, if I can afford them AND another like-configured amp.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #25 on: 23 May 2008, 03:23 pm »

Seems awfully good from my perspective, and according to Simon, it only gets better with the Mk2 update. 

Simon is a straight shooter IME, and he won't hesitate to tell you to *not* buy something if he doesn't feel you'll benefit.  Nevertheless, he is very impressed with the Bybee mods, and I'll probably get those, too, if I can afford them AND another like-configured amp.

Sorry if this is slightly off topic...

But the Bybees definitely made a noticeable difference when added into the mix for my Bolder Cable modified Squeeze Box and Power Supply.  Don't ask me what they do or how they do it, but they are doing something.

George
« Last Edit: 23 May 2008, 03:52 pm by zybar »

woodsyi

• Volunteer
  • Always Look on the Bright Side of Life!
« Reply #26 on: 23 May 2008, 03:50 pm »
Wild that you mentioned that DU.  I was on the phone with Simon today and we chatted for a long time about the Spectron Musician III Sig Mark II's in mono amp config (two cables, both driving same channel, one in phase, one out).  My Rev Mundorf Ultimate soulmate, Karsten, is incredibly impressed too.....in fact, he's blown away by them.   :thumb:

Scratching head.  Any reason why you would do that instead of bi-amping them - ie one amp for the tweet - one for the wooffer.  I know Bobs crossover is exceptional and people report they simply can't hear it but technically bi-amping removes any possibility of driver interaction.  I was able to clearly hear the benefits with my current speakers. Or am I missing something?

Thanks
Bill

I have asked this question before but Bob is not keen on biamping.  From the stated 24 dB 4th order Linkwitz-Riley spec, I think actively biamping would make a lot of sense.  If I get them I think I would ask for active version with no passive filters at all.   :dunno:

Double Ugly

« Reply #27 on: 23 May 2008, 07:13 pm »

Sorry if this is slightly off topic...

But the Bybees definitely made a noticeable difference when added into the mix for my Bolder Cable modified Squeeze Box and Power Supply.  Don't ask me what they do or how they do it, but they are doing something.

George

Same here.  The early copper Bybee mods to my SB2 made the largest performance leap I've heard yet in any product. 

Along those lines, Simon says everything they try to get from the amplifier is magnified by the Bybee modification.  My experience (and yours and others) leads me to believe him.

Wild that you mentioned that DU.  I was on the phone with Simon today and we chatted for a long time about the Spectron Musician III Sig Mark II's in mono amp config (two cables, both driving same channel, one in phase, one out).  My Rev Mundorf Ultimate soulmate, Karsten, is incredibly impressed too.....in fact, he's blown away by them.   :thumb:

Thanks
Bill

I have asked this question before but Bob is not keen on biamping.  From the stated 24 dB 4th order Linkwitz-Riley spec, I think actively biamping would make a lot of sense.  If I get them I think I would ask for active version with no passive filters at all.   :dunno:

Bob's always been very much for bi-amping in my conversations with him.  What he didn't like, however, was what he heard while experimenting with an actively bi-amped system in place of his crossover.  He was completely confident it would be much better, but it wasn't.

That's not to say something else couldn't be done to make it better, but I think most are awfully happy with the way things are at present.

RodMCV

« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2008, 09:44 pm »
And those are the Super Effect Bybee's only available OEM going into the Spectron M3 SE MK2.

Same as in the SE Speaker Bullet Fame and in Mike Garner's Bybee Super Effect Ultra Power Cord.

Hard wired into the amp to make great Greater.

Jack Bybee has told me that these are at least 4 times more effective then his best previous product!

Can things really get better then Steve Changes House @ RMAF '07 with the SP-Tech Revelations latest?

Double Ugly

« Reply #29 on: 24 May 2008, 03:13 am »
Can things really get better then Steve Changes House @ RMAF '07 with the SP-Tech Revelations latest?

Apparently.  :wink:

Maybe next time we can arrange for a pair of the latest & greatest MIII SEs (as monoblocks, of course) and a pair of maxed-out Revelation Grand Masters.  If last year's MO was followed, I think it's safe to say anyone within a city block would be able to hear us. 

Then again, if we were to take requests, the neighbors might actually pay to hear their favorite band live-esque.  :green:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2008, 08:29 am »
To continue off topic, when others start talking Bybeetech, my ears perk up as I've been a firm believer in Bybee's for years and I have found them to be accumulative in their effects, from the power end thru to the signal and onto the speakers. :weights: That's why I have 27 Bybees from my BPT conditioner thru most of my cables and on all 6 speaker terminals in my system. I have no doubt that it's the accumulatve effects of Bybees that have had such a dramatic effect on my sound stage depth. :weights: Given the choice tho, I'd love to get them off my cables and into my components.  :D

Cheers,
Robin

Double Ugly

« Reply #31 on: 24 May 2008, 01:08 pm »
It bothers me that I don't understand at all how they work, but not enough to ignore the fact that they do.

It's comforting, though, to know that after evaluating their effect, people as pragmatic and scientific-minded as Simon, John, et al. @ Spectron chose to offer a Bybee solution.  If my experience with them is any indication, they are *not* about fluff, hyperbole and nonsensical additions to their equipment. 

I believe the performance of their products is as important to them as profits, and at least for the time being, I'm enamored with both.  :thumb:

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #32 on: 24 May 2008, 05:16 pm »
It bothers me that I don't understand at all how they work, but not enough to ignore the fact that they do.

It's comforting, though, to know that after evaluating their effect, people as pragmatic and scientific-minded as Simon, John, et al. @ Spectron chose to offer a Bybee solution.  If my experience with them is any indication, they are *not* about fluff, hyperbole and nonsensical additions to their equipment. 

I believe the performance of their products is as important to them as profits, and at least for the time being, I'm enamored with both.  :thumb:

Don't leave out our own Dan Modright, Bill Baker or Wayne Waananen , all heavy users of Bybee's in their mods.  :thumb: Regardless of our own knowledge on how Bybee's work, I feel the list of wellknown standup businesses that actually use Bybee's lends to their legitimacy. But in the end, I tend to trust my ears.  :D

Happy Memorial Day weekend folks!

Cheers,
Robin

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #33 on: 24 May 2008, 09:11 pm »
Thanks for the mention Robin,
 I am a firm believer in Bybees and have been using them for years and they are found in half the products in my systems. They have proven themselves to me. When it comes to my customers inquiring on them in modifications or custom products, I always start off by admitting they are controversial. I have always recommended people do a little research on their own and come to their own conclusions as not to come across as trying to push them.

Wishing everyone a Happy & Safe Holiday Weekend

Double Ugly

« Reply #34 on: 25 May 2008, 02:45 am »

Don't leave out our own Dan Modright, Bill Baker or Wayne Waananen , all heavy users of Bybee's in their mods.  :thumb: Regardless of our own knowledge on how Bybee's work, I feel the list of wellknown standup businesses that actually use Bybee's lends to their legitimacy. But in the end, I tend to trust my ears.  :D

Happy Memorial Day weekend folks!

Cheers,
Robin

It was not my intention to "leave out" anyone, Robin, and I did mention the positive effect of the Bybees Wayne used in my SB2.  However, since this thread is about amplification - and most recently about the Spectron Musician III Signature Edition and existing modification options - my comments were specific to Spectron and the people directly responsible.

Karsten

« Reply #35 on: 27 May 2008, 10:09 am »
Now that Bybee's has been brought up in this thread anyway, I can mention that I did test a few cables featuring these. I can't say if it was the cable design in general or the Bybee's, but these cables were slowing down transient speed and giving a significant coloration to the sound, not to my liking at all.... Especially a midbass boost was noticeable. Again this is not the result of a comprehensive test of Bybee's, but just observations based on a particular (expensive) cable brand featuring these. Both speaker cables and interconnects were tested with similar result.

For people liking to tweak using different gizmo's, I really recommend an occasional "reality test" where all this stuff gets out of the way in order to establish a base line.

Regards,
Karsten

Double Ugly

« Reply #36 on: 27 May 2008, 01:03 pm »
Now that Bybee's has been brought up in this thread anyway, I can mention that I did test a few cables featuring these. I can't say if it was the cable design in general or the Bybee's, but these cables were slowing down transient speed and giving a significant coloration to the sound, not to my liking at all.... Especially a midbass boost was noticeable. Again this is not the result of a comprehensive test of Bybee's, but just observations based on a particular (expensive) cable brand featuring these. Both speaker cables and interconnects were tested with similar result.

For people liking to tweak using different gizmo's, I really recommend an occasional "reality test" where all this stuff gets out of the way in order to establish a base line.

Regards,
Karsten

There were Bybees in my SB2 for quite some time, but I would not describe what I heard as colored, nor was transient response negatively affected in that particular instance.  Further, while I can't say their addition to the SB2 was responsible for all the improvement mentioned earlier (there were other modifications), I'd be shocked to learn they kept it from being even better.

But as you note, differences in application - from the type Bybee used to the component involved and everything between - should to be taken into account.  For instance, it would be interesting to know how the cables you auditioned sound without Bybees.

Karsten

« Reply #37 on: 27 May 2008, 01:48 pm »
DU, sure it would be interesting to hear the cables w/o the Bybees, cutting the cables was just not an option, at least not a free one :)

I'm however still a bit sceptical about introducing filters in the signal path. The logical implementation would be in the power supply. I have a suspicion that the perceived effect when implemented in the signal path could be related to this issue: http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=39346.0

But still, this is just a theory from my side, I have not been experimenting enough with these to give any "final verdict"

Double Ugly

« Reply #38 on: 27 May 2008, 11:05 pm »
DU, sure it would be interesting to hear the cables w/o the Bybees, cutting the cables was just not an option, at least not a free one :)

:lol:  Yeah, I understood it wasn't an option.  That said, it would seem beneficial - common-sensical, even - for the manufacturer and/or retailer to have a with/without comparison available so as to put the improvements front and center. 

I'm however still a bit sceptical about introducing filters in the signal path. The logical implementation would be in the power supply.

The more I play the new crossovers, the more I'm inclined to agree with your approach, which is why I'm keen to see your new DAC/preamp be made available for public consumption.  :green:

juanitox

« Reply #39 on: 6 Nov 2008, 07:59 pm »
 :D Hi gangs.   i have found a very good french integrated to go with the TP 3.0
it's the mimetism15.2   2x180watts

this amp give sounds very good with a lot of control in the Bass and great extension without distorsion in the treble :thumb: 
but i have a question , i use a biwire configuration with it and it seems better than single wire in my system.  so is it a good idea to double my amplifier too?  and go bi-amping solution with another same amplifier?

please don't say me yes , you must go that way , were are in financial crisis times :duh: