Hi fi setup questions

jrmedia

Hi fi setup questions
« on: 6 Sep 2018, 01:43 am »
1. Why in most pictures do I see the audio equipment behind the speakers or mostly on the floor??
2. I currently have super v speakers I'm curious to know what size your guys rooms these are i
3. Anybody who is using the super v speakers can you post a pic
  Just to let you know I listen nothing but vinyl and my system is in a finished basement ceilings are 9 foot

Thanks

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: Hi fi setup questions
« Reply #1 on: 6 Sep 2018, 01:55 am »
1. Why in most pictures do I see the audio equipment behind the speakers or mostly on the floor??
The cables in center position have the shorter way and most speakers emit sound just to front.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #2 on: 6 Sep 2018, 07:44 am »
I don't own them anymore, but here is an old pic.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #3 on: 6 Sep 2018, 10:10 am »
Had a small rack like that, but went this route (shelf is scrap that I stained and spiked into the carpet).  This opened up the soundstage to an amazing degree.  System consists of newly acquired JBL 708P active monitors and DSPeaker (DAC/preamp/bass DSP), nice and simple, still setting up (note the concrete block speaker stands).  Floor standing speakers, tweeters, and mono blocks in the back are static.  Sub, second source, and two more GIK 244 panels on back wall are unseen. Wire in front is the DSPeaker calibration mike.

Shakeydeal

« Reply #4 on: 6 Sep 2018, 03:59 pm »
Had a small rack like that, but went this route (shelf is scrap that I stained and spiked into the carpet).  This opened up the soundstage to an amazing degree.  System consists of newly acquired JBL 708P active monitors and DSPeaker (DAC/preamp/bass DSP), nice and simple, still setting up (note the concrete block speaker stands).  Floor standing speakers, tweeters, and mono blocks in the back are static.  Sub, second source, and two more GIK 244 panels on back wall are unseen. Wire in front is the DSPeaker calibration mike.

I spy a Bob Brines full range speaker in that pic.

Shakey

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #5 on: 6 Sep 2018, 04:05 pm »
2. I currently have super v speakers I'm curious to know what size your guys rooms these are i
  Just to let you know I listen nothing but vinyl and my system is in a finished basement ceilings are 9 foot

Thanks

1.  Because anything placed directly between or in front of the speakers messes with imaging.  Between the speakers is best for shortest cable/wire runs, so keeping things low to the ground is best.
2. Nice speakers.  I have the big brother of the Super Vs and I'm in a fairly small 14x18 dedicated audio/HT room in the garden-level basement.
3.  No Super V pics for me. 

Danny Richie

« Reply #6 on: 6 Sep 2018, 04:47 pm »
Here are a few of our room set ups.

2009 Show pic.

2010 show pic.

2011 show pic.

2012 show pic with Super-7's. Same set up.

Lone Star Audio fest room.

At Gary Dodd's house.

Rivalaudio

« Reply #7 on: 6 Sep 2018, 05:48 pm »

Between the speakers, where the center image is, you really want to keep that area open and free if possible with the exception of diffusion or other acoustic treatment. The vast majority of musical information is in this area and having a "bunch of stuff", bookshelf, racks, etc will merely get in the way. Keeping in mind, depending on the design of the rack and circumstance, its entirely possible it could helping diffuse which is good but thats a crap shoot. Bottom line: If you can keep the area in the middle, center image free from stuff, this is probably going to yield the best results.

I recommend diffusion if its an option.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #8 on: 6 Sep 2018, 05:57 pm »

Thanks

#1 Unfortunately lack of space, long cable cost attribute to gear in center. Cost of propr racks as well. #2 My bet most to small.

charles

gregfisk

• Restricted
  • Us alone in the universe? sure is a waste of SPACE
« Reply #9 on: 6 Sep 2018, 09:49 pm »
The room treatments have changed a fair amount, mostly just more of them. The main idea is not to have anything in between the speakers, the soundstage is so much better when the center is void of anything. These are my custom Super Vs that look like Super 7s, they are slightly shorter than Super 7s but otherwise look the same.

I've also found that I like the speakers even farther apart than what you see, the sound stage gets even bigger when the speakers are farther apart and toed in a bit more.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #10 on: 6 Sep 2018, 10:16 pm »

What a room!! supérb room, this is your room?

jrmedia

« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2018, 01:31 am »
Danny, you sold those super 7's didn't you??

Danny Richie

« Reply #12 on: 7 Sep 2018, 01:44 am »
Danny, you sold those super 7's didn't you??

Yes, I recently sold my personal pair. They went to a good home.

jrmedia

« Reply #13 on: 7 Sep 2018, 01:46 am »
Do you have any other speakers your selling??

Captainhemo

« Reply #14 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:07 am »
The room treatments have changed a fair amount, mostly just more of them. The main idea is not to have anything in between the speakers, the soundstage is so much better when the center is void of anything. These are my custom Super Vs that look like Super 7s, they are slightly shorter than Super 7s but otherwise look the same.

I've also found that I like the speakers even farther apart than what you see, the sound stage gets even bigger when the speakers are farther apart and toed in a bit more.

Wow Greg,  oh  how I wish I had a similar room ,   beauty   :beer:

jay

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #15 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:11 am »
Wow Greg,  oh  how I wish I had a similar room ,   beauty   :beer:

jay
I refer to the dimensions and the ceiling, certainly it have a great acoustics.

SoCalWJS

« Reply #16 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:55 am »

Very nice set up! I imagine the sound is spectacular! Beautiful and well treated. I am jealous!

They do indeed look more like Super &'s than Super V's.

Nick V

« Reply #17 on: 7 Sep 2018, 01:51 pm »
Here are a few of our room set ups.

At Gary Dodd's house.

What are the diffusion panels in this pic?

Captainhemo

« Reply #18 on: 7 Sep 2018, 02:37 pm »
Mr T's  from Pi Audo Group
http://piaudiogroup.com/Sound_Diffusors.html

jay

Danny Richie

« Reply #19 on: 7 Sep 2018, 03:45 pm »
Mr T's  from Pi Audo Group
http://piaudiogroup.com/Sound_Diffusors.html

jay

Those things work really well. They can transform a system. Highly recommended.