Bryston SP4

Grit

• - Garrett
Re: Bryston SP4
« Reply #80 on: 8 Jul 2018, 05:23 am »
Running the SP4 in analog bypass would be like hooking a team of horses to a Ferrari. If you get this unit you want to unleash the beast via digital processing. If you want to use a turntable and go analog there are much less expensive alternatives available for a two channel purist setup. This is a SOA fully immersive music and movie beast.

I only have one listening area, so it doubles as my home entertainment area for movies/tv as well as 2 channel listening. The reason I went with an SP3 was because it was, first and foremost, an excellent 2ch preamp. I also want an excellent HT processor too. If it can't do both though, it won't meet my criteria.

witchdoctor

« Reply #81 on: 8 Jul 2018, 04:19 pm »
I only have one listening area, so it doubles as my home entertainment area for movies/tv as well as 2 channel listening. The reason I went with an SP3 was because it was, first and foremost, an excellent 2ch preamp. I also want an excellent HT processor too. If it can't do both though, it won't meet my criteria.

Hmmmm, sounds like a dealer demo is in order. Make sure you get a demo of music upmixed via Auro 3D. Storm used to be owned by Auro. Whether you prefer the SP3 or SP4 for two channel will be interesting. Maybe SP4 owners/dealers can post their opinions?

witchdoctor

« Reply #82 on: 8 Jul 2018, 04:25 pm »
As Rod Stewart said-just gimme  some of your old Motown records
Analog has a glorious sound quality all its own
I still use my 2006 Arcam AV-8 analog out to the Oppo -203 and she’s great
When she dies I will do the Bryston Sp-4 or go with the Storm processor
Spinning LPs on the Clearaudio TT is great- besides there is a lot of music you cannot get on cd or stream that you could get on vinyl years ago
They both have their place and I have em both with ma 28s holding the fort with 7s for back up surrounds
Like em both analog and diiiigital when it works LOL

Spoken like someone that has never experienced immersive upmixed music. This is NOT "surround sound". No disrespect, and I agree they both have heir place but I almost never engage stereo in my immersive setup anymore. I do use it in my desktop system.

https://www.avsforum.com/auro-3d-music-upmix-demo-stormaudio-isp-3d-16-elite-prepro-ces-2017/

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #83 on: 8 Jul 2018, 08:02 pm »
Hi Witchdoctor

What processor do you use - Storm?

james

dminches

« Reply #84 on: 8 Jul 2018, 08:47 pm »
Spoken like someone that has never experienced immersive upmixed music. This is NOT "surround sound". No disrespect, and I agree they both have heir place but I almost never engage stereo in my immersive setup anymore. I do use it in my desktop system.

https://www.avsforum.com/auro-3d-music-upmix-demo-stormaudio-isp-3d-16-elite-prepro-ces-2017/

Spoken like someone who has never had a well tuned 2 channel analog setup.

drummermitchell

« Reply #85 on: 9 Jul 2018, 02:12 am »
Guess I'll sell my Vac Sig MK IIA pre amp for $1.49
Then I'll try to upgrade my pair of ears (Two) for 16....no wait 24 fuck it  36 channels of ....
no disrespect either but looking at your set up well,glad I have my Vac and 28's and my room is fully treated :popcorn:.
8:11 pm one  more beer,not dwunk jus dwinkin................................ .................. :duh:.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #86 on: 9 Jul 2018, 11:23 am »
Running the SP4 in analog bypass would be like hooking a team of horses to a Ferrari. If you get this unit you want to unleash the beast via digital processing. If you want to use a turntable and go analog there are much less expensive alternatives available for a two channel purist setup. This is a SOA fully immersive music and movie beast.
The plan is actually to have an analog 2 in/ 2 out bypass module that will allow both full analog passthrough and expanded output options for the full output matrix. The SP3 has a full bypass mode which a lot of people (including me) use for stereo listening.

There's also the option of doing a home theatre bypass with a preamp like a BP-17 Cubed. Run all of your audiophile sources through your pre, then feed the main L/R outputs of the SP4 to bypass inputs on the BP-17 Cubed.

-G

witchdoctor

« Reply #87 on: 9 Jul 2018, 08:13 pm »
Spoken like someone who has never had a well tuned 2 channel analog setup.

IDK if it is "well tuned" but here is a pic of my two channel desktop system. Those are JBL 230's and a Sunfire preamp and Carver amp. The front end is a Bluesound Node.

witchdoctor

« Reply #88 on: 9 Jul 2018, 08:17 pm »
Hi Witchdoctor

What processor do you use - Storm?

james

I use the Marantz 7702 primarily in Audo 3D mode. It has an analog pass through called "Pure Direct" and Atmos sounds fine through an Auro 3D layout.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #89 on: 11 Jul 2018, 08:39 am »
Hey Gary,

I exclusively use the bypass in my SP3 for all 2ch listening. I'm hoping that a similar functionality will come to exist with the SP4.

Just to confirm, the intent with that module is to have the bypass-able analog output become the front L/R channels? And in turn, they would still function as the processed front L/R channels in any of the processor modes (Dolby Atmos, DTS X, Dolby True HD, DTS-HD Master Audio, etc)? My concern is that analog bypass in the SP4 would essentially become a separate zone, unable to function as part of the regular channels for a movie.

I agree with your HT bypass concept, but at this price point, I (personally) can't justify a processor that can't double as an excellent analog preamp as well.

- Garrett

The plan is actually to have an analog 2 in/ 2 out bypass module that will allow both full analog passthrough and expanded output options for the full output matrix. The SP3 has a full bypass mode which a lot of people (including me) use for stereo listening.

There's also the option of doing a home theatre bypass with a preamp like a BP-17 Cubed. Run all of your audiophile sources through your pre, then feed the main L/R outputs of the SP4 to bypass inputs on the BP-17 Cubed.

-G

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #90 on: 11 Jul 2018, 02:10 pm »
Yeah, the plan is to let the bypass module double as the front left right. Ideally, we'd like to be able to switch it in and out of the DSP path. One of the really great things about the SP4 is that you can setup different "profiles" for your theater. So, for 2 channel listening, you could have a profile where the bypass module is straight analog passthrough. Then you could switch over to a movie profile where the front left and right outputs are fed from the DSP so you could have EQ, Dirac Live or whatever in the path for front left and right.

gdbalp

« Reply #91 on: 12 Jul 2018, 02:34 am »
Gary,

First thing, I am a big fan of Bryston products as I have several components....

When considering the SP4, I was surprised that we have lost features that we have on the SP3 as Pre/Pro unit.  If you compare it other Pre/Pro units from Yamaha / Marantz / Integra, it is lacking a more modern features like the  DAC, interface, front mounted ports (USB/HDMI/Headphone jack), analogy inputs for two channel audio, streaming capabilities, AES/EBU inputs, and it costs at least 4 times the cost.  Your idea to use SP4 + BP-17 for two channel audio is not a practical or a cost effective solution and there is a sonic penalty when sampling rates within this unit are only 48 kHz.

There are no specifications on the performance (SNR/THD/Frequency Response/etc..) of the SP4 from what I see on the website, will this be updated at some point?

From what I see you need a smart phone or tablet to navigate the menus options, no sure if this unit can be fully controlled from the front panel?

I still like the fact that I can quickly push buttons on the SP3 and see the response from the Pre/Pro unit and not worry about the battery level in the tablet / smart phone or where it was last located. 

It appears to be more suited for a server based environment than in a listening room, especially with its size - larger than most Pre/Pro units and a fan - noise  is a concern.

I realize that updating the SP3 was an expensive option for Bryston , but it has so much going for it :thumb: :thumb:...

Luigi

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #92 on: 12 Jul 2018, 11:33 am »
MEMO: To All Bryston Customers
SUBJECT: Bryston SP-4 Processor – Distributor Feedback

July 2018

Hi James,

Our Malaysian Audio/Video Show is just a week away so we are auditioning the new Bryston SP-4 Surround Processor which we intend to use at the show.

Have not use the Dirac Live room correction yet but after the initial setup the Bryston SP-4 Surround Processor has tremendous potential.

Out of the gate, the picture quality is great, even better than the Acurus Act 4 (replaced the SP3) we were using till now.

The sound, it is definitively more immersive and weightier too. Can't wait to hear it after we have the opportunity to do the Dirac Live calibration on the Subs, Centre and Surrounds.

Will keep you posted.

Regards,
James Tan
A/V Designs

gbaby

« Reply #93 on: 12 Jul 2018, 04:10 pm »
Error

gbaby

« Reply #94 on: 12 Jul 2018, 04:19 pm »
Gary,

First thing, I am a big fan of Bryston products as I have several components....

When considering the SP4, I was surprised that we have lost features that we have on the SP3 as Pre/Pro unit.  If you compare it other Pre/Pro units from Yamaha / Marantz / Integra, it is lacking a more modern features like the  DAC, interface, front mounted ports (USB/HDMI/Headphone jack), analogy inputs for two channel audio, streaming capabilities, AES/EBU inputs, and it costs at least 4 times the cost.  Your idea to use SP4 + BP-17 for two channel audio is not a practical or a cost effective solution and there is a sonic penalty when sampling rates within this unit are only 48 kHz.

There are no specifications on the performance (SNR/THD/Frequency Response/etc..) of the SP4 from what I see on the website, will this be updated at some point?

From what I see you need a smart phone or tablet to navigate the menus options, no sure if this unit can be fully controlled from the front panel?

I still like the fact that I can quickly push buttons on the SP3 and see the response from the Pre/Pro unit and not worry about the battery level in the tablet / smart phone or where it was last located. 

It appears to be more suited for a server based environment than in a listening room, especially with its size - larger than most Pre/Pro units and a fan - noise  is a concern.

I realize that updating the SP3 was an expensive option for Bryston , but it has so much going for it :thumb: :thumb:...

Luigi

I really don't think Bryston has the SP4 to replace the SP3, but rather, as a supplement to the SP3 for those who value movie listening, ATMOS and AURO, over music listening.

dminches

« Reply #95 on: 12 Jul 2018, 05:14 pm »
I really don't think Bryston has the SP4 to replace the SP3, but rather, as a supplement to the SP3 for those who value movie listening, ATMOS and AURO, over music listening.

Based on everything I have seen or read about the SP4 I think you are spot on.  In its current form it isn't an audiophile preamp.  It is a multichannel processor for movie sound tracks.

witchdoctor

« Reply #96 on: 13 Jul 2018, 12:36 am »
For those of you who believe that 2 channel=music and multi channel = movies you are half right. Movies do = multi-channel. But music experienced in immersive format (NOT multi-channel) can sound MUCH better than 2 channel, even if they are only upmixed versions of 2 channel recordings. Until you experience it in your own listening space try and keep an open mind. If you don't believe a witchdoctor check out the guys at Abbey Road and their artist, Pink Floyd. The witchdoctor uses the same auro 3d type speaker layout shown in this video which the SP4 would accomodate. Listen to the engineer at 2:20, "The instruments are allowed to breathe in way they can't in stereo" and at 1:00 "once you take the step into full immersion coming back again is impossible".
Get the SP4, take the step and you will know what we mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMlFN8V4qW4

witchdoctor

« Reply #97 on: 13 Jul 2018, 12:39 am »
Based on everything I have seen or read about the SP4 I think you are spot on.  In its current form it isn't an audiophile preamp.  It is a multichannel processor for movie sound tracks.

It's brand new, what can you have possibly seen or heard at this point?  :scratch:

dminches

« Reply #98 on: 13 Jul 2018, 11:20 am »
It's brand new, what can you have possibly seen or heard at this point?  :scratch:

There is no analog pass through so everything is digitized.  The digital limit right now is 48 kHz.

What else do I need to know?

I never said it wasn’t a great piece or didn’t sound great.  However, it isn’t going to be embraced by audiophiles without the things I mentioned.  Those items are what make the SP3 special.

Rod_S

« Reply #99 on: 13 Jul 2018, 11:35 am »

In case you didn't know these units are essentially Storm Audio units which have been a around for a while so there is some information out there. These aren't Bryston designed machines. Bryston will bring their own add on modules to the platform later on like the discussed analog module but the unit will always remain a Storm Audio manufactured device.