Candela vs. Tempest

aaron.luebke

Candela vs. Tempest
« on: 16 Nov 2014, 08:56 pm »
Not knowing always bugs me and I really have a hard time taking an opinion (or even fact) as absolute knowledge.  Maybe I'm really from Missouri but you gotta do better than show me - I gotta do it.  :roll:

I once talked to Klaus about the Candela vs. Tempest and rightfully so I didn't get a definitive answer - no sure exactly what the answer was but I didn't get what I wanted.  So tubes are cool and I bought the Candela and have never looked back but that thought of a Tempest always bothered me. 

I've now owned three Tempests.  One from an internet reseller a few years ago and I liked the sound but it was an older version and in good shape so I resold it.  Last year I snagged another and from the outside she was beautiful.  It sounded ok but I always crack the cases and this thing was Frankenstein reincarnated on the inside  :o.  I talked to Klaus about it and shipped her to Indiana.  That was #2.  What I got back from Klaus is #3.

Klaus and I talked about this one a couple times and this one is brand new (Franky didn't make it...  :cry:) with the upgraded transformer.  8)

Shift gears - While this was in the shop I got thinking about the Candela and wondering if I could do anything "easy" to make it sing better than it already did.  I've rebuild many a crossover and have built 1/2 dozen Bottlehead kits.  I've used Solen (hate 'em), Clarity, Sonicap and lately Mundorf caps.  Those 1uf caps in the Candela looked fairly easy to get to and then one of my favorite resellers ran a sale on The MR series of Clarity Cap - top of the line from Clarity.  So I snagged a matched pair (both measure 1.001uf - that's matched!  :thumb: ) and replaced the Sonicaps.  I would not recommend anyone doing this  :nono: - I'm fairly sure any warranty I may have had is now null and void and the larger caps have larger leads that don't just pop in the holes.  It wasn't the hardest job I've ever done but it wasn't the smoothest either but I am perfectly happy with the end result - the Candela is reborn. 

Shift again - One of my Bottlehead kits is the Reduction Phono Pre.  I don't build Bottleheads stock so mine has some very nice components in it.  I'm currently pitting the Tempest built in phono pre against the Reduction and at the moment I'm putting the Tempest in for a slight lead.  They are very close.  I've got about $700 into that Reduction, not counting the cost of the tubes (just for comparison sake) and the Tempest is currently winning by a slight margin.  Amazing detail!! :icon_lol:

Soon I'll switch the Candela back in and see how it sounds after having the Tempest in.  I'll keep you guys posted.  This is going to be a very close race! 

aaron.luebke

Re: Candela vs. Tempest
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2014, 12:30 am »
I was going to describe my system but it really doesn't matter.  Nothing in the chain changed other than the pre - all wires stayed the same, all components stayed the same.  I listed to both FLAC via external DAC and vinyl.  The only difference would have been using the Bottlehead Reduction when listening to vinyl on the Candela.

Both pre's are great and I cannot put one above the other but they are different.  This evaluation is my own personal opinion - others will vary.  After the fact I'm not real surprised...

The Tempest - puts the sound through as it was recorded.  I've heard pre's and systems that appeared "dry" because of this.  The Tempest is not dry.  It reveals bad recordings and blesses the good ones.  I was initially confused as some of what I listened to was an absolute delight and then another recording would sound less so delightful.  I believe that the Tempest is about as close to a passive pre without it being passive as you can get.

The Candela - another wonderful sound and to be fair one that I've been listening to for a couple of years now.  I am probably biased!  :oops:  I don't think the Candela colors the sound but is more forgiving because of the tubes.  More recordings sound good through the Candela.  I'm not so sure the "perfect" recordings don't suffer just a bit because of this as those that sounded less on the Tempest sounded better on the Candela.  The sound of the Candela can also be customized via the use of different tubes.  After the initial flurry of tube testing I've settled on one set and have had them in for at least a year.

The Tempest TT section - WOW! If I were a 100% vinyl guy this would be my choice.

I'm going to spend some more time listening and should be back after the holidays with more opinion.  I might even change my mind! :roll:

Magnatest

« Reply #2 on: 26 Nov 2014, 01:20 pm »
  I really enjoyed reading this. I also wondered about the difference between the two pre amps.

What tubes have you tried in the Candela and what did you settle on?

Thanks,

Gregg

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 26 Nov 2014, 04:23 pm »
I put Create Synergy HiFi tubes in my Candela and really like it - http://www.synergyhifi.com/

To me the Candela is a solid $4k+ preamp if you compare it to what one can find in a dealer's showroom, a real hi-fi bargain

aaron.luebke

« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2014, 01:57 am »
  I really enjoyed reading this. I also wondered about the difference between the two pre amps.

What tubes have you tried in the Candela and what did you settle on?

Thanks,

Gregg

I've got Amperex 7316's (ECC186) in it now.  I've been through many but these are the ones that I've kept:
RCA 5963's long black plates
CBS Hytron 12AU7 long grey plates
CBS Hytron 5814 short black plates
RCA 12AU7 clear tops
E80CC (nice!) - My cabinet has been replaced with a modified top so I can run these.
Tesla ECC802S yellow label

It's been awhile since I've run these - probably need to reevaluate and put these in some kind of order - but not this year.

The Candela with the modified cover - nice round cutout so the E80CC's will fit.

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2014, 03:22 am »
Beautiful cover!

Magnatest

« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2014, 01:41 pm »
  Yes. The wood cover is very nice. The design of the stock cover does make it a pain to roll tubes.

I've also tried CBS Hytron 5814's, but prefer the sound that D-getter Tung Sol's provide. For me, they are balanced, open and have great bass.

aaron.luebke

« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2015, 12:47 pm »
Tube eval:

I ran all of my pairs through the Candela again. 

Tesla ECC802S yellow label - I left these in to replace the 7316's.  Well balanced.
RCA 5963's long black plates - Very nice - highs and bass both very good.
CBS Hytron 12AU7 long grey plates - Good
Amperex 7316's (ECC186) - could be getting worn out but lacking bass, every other aspect is wonderful
E80CC - Very quiet, good but not great
CBS Hytron 5814 short black plates - Highs are a bit brittle, bass boomy.  Vocals are good.
RCA 12AU7 clear tops - Flat sounding - no joy.

I've loaned the Tempest out to a local friend who has a Stratos amp.  We'll see what he thinks in a bit.

I've still got the Tempest ahead of the Candela but again, it's an opinion thing as they are that close and tubes can change the sound of the Candela.