Omega super 3 XRS Multipoint

Slam

Omega super 3 XRS Multipoint
« on: 30 Dec 2016, 05:21 pm »

Got my first Omegas today. They sound great right out of the box, can't wait until they break in. I've been listening to a lot of funk and reggae and find they have great sounding bass.

I'm using a Marantz 2215B for amplification.

roscoe65

Re: Omega super 3 XRS Multipoint
« Reply #1 on: 30 Dec 2016, 06:39 pm »
Multipoint?

Slam

« Reply #2 on: 30 Dec 2016, 07:47 pm »

With 2 drivers. I think one is crossed over to augment the bass.

pstrisik

• Holding pattern in Audio Nirvana in the PNW!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Dec 2016, 07:57 pm »
Congratulations slam!

I hadn't heard the term Multipoint before either.  Looks official though.  :D  His "High Output" and "1.5 Way" are familiar.

And I have to say that the EKO natural is quite nice.  Amazing looking for not real wood.

.......Peter

roscoe65

« Reply #4 on: 30 Dec 2016, 08:23 pm »
Sounds like the new Decware model we've been talking about.  Mind sharing the price Slam?

jMelvin

« Reply #5 on: 30 Dec 2016, 08:52 pm »
Congrats and best of luck with them. I like the finish .. beautiful.

Slam

« Reply #6 on: 30 Dec 2016, 09:18 pm »
Thanks! Yes they are quite nice looking speakers. The WAF is high on these. A lot better than my homemade open baffle speakers.

I'd rather not share the price publicly. I called Louis and I think he gave me a good deal on them.

They seem to handle anything with ease. So far I've jammed a bunch of reggae, Parliament, Funkadelic, Miles Davis, Meters, Johnny Cash, Wild Tchoupitoulas, Lobo Marino, and Grateful Dead at the moment.

The room is 15x20 and the speakers are plenty loud for me with 15 watts. I turned off my subwoofer after the first few songs and don't think I will need to use a sub even for reggae.

roscoe65

« Reply #7 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:04 pm »
Congratulations slam!

I hadn't heard the term Multipoint before either.  Looks official though.  :D  His "High Output" and "1.5 Way" are familiar.

And I have to say that the EKO natural is quite nice.  Amazing looking for not real wood.

.......Peter

Just eyeballing it:  it is smaller than HO 1.5way floorstander.  It appears to be the same size as the Super 3xrs bipole - 27" x 11" x 8.5".  I like those proportions.

pstrisik

« Reply #8 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:14 pm »
Is this the one Decware is selling?

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:37 pm »
To remove any confusion they aren't the speaker Decware has.  They're Super 3XRS set up as 1.5 way from when they were called OutLaws (from before Louis came out with the term High Output, etc).  The new 1.5 speakers aren't called Multipoint either.  That is an earlier label from when Louis was doing OutLaws as custom builds.

Nice looking speakers Slam.  We have that finish on a pair of Omegas in our house and it's beautiful.

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:44 pm »
To remove any confusion they aren't the speaker Decware has.  They're Super 3XRS set up as 1.5 way from when they were called OutLaws (from before Louis came out with the term High Output, etc).  The new 1.5 speakers aren't called Multipoint either.  That is an earlier label from when Louis was doing OutLaws as custom builds.

I'm just sayin' I don't hate it.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:47 pm »
I'm just sayin' I don't hate it.

You never came across negative at all. :thumb:

Slam

« Reply #12 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:56 pm »
Just eyeballing it:  it is smaller than HO 1.5way floorstander.  It appears to be the same size as the Super 3xrs bipole - 27" x 11" x 8.5".  I like those proportions.

Yes I believe Louis told me they are the same size as the single-driver XRS

Slam

« Reply #13 on: 30 Dec 2016, 11:57 pm »

Nice looking speakers Slam.  We have that finish on a pair of Omegas in our house and it's beautiful.

Yes they are quite lovely in looks as well as sound.

roscoe65

« Reply #14 on: 31 Dec 2016, 12:16 am »
You never came across negative at all. :thumb:

I was noting that I think the proportions of these are actually better than the larger (35" tall) floorstanders.  The relatively low height, wider baffle and slight rearward angle appeals to me.  But then this is from a guy who owned a pair of Quad ESL-57's until a couple of years ago.  My taste in speakers has evolved since the 1980's and 1990's.  I used to like the narrow baffle monitor/tower look.  I've found myself preferring wider baffles and shorter speakers these days.

I have, however, recently acquired a set of Super 3U's that are of medium sized monitor (i.e., 9" wide baffle) proportions.  They appeal to me in that I may be able to use them in a very compact setup that would still provide good bass.  They have the volume and tuning of the XRS but suffer due to a narrower baffle and intended placement on 4" stands.  However, I could use a set of 8" tall Isoacoustics stands on platforms (I like to use maple cutting boards) for a total speaker height similar to the Super 3 XRS.  The Isoacoustics stands would let me adjust the tilt of the speaker depending on listening distance.  If I'm brave (or stupid) enough I could install an additional RS5 driver either in omni (on top) or 1.5 way (in front) configuration.  I get the feeling that with the relatively low speaker height an omni driver could work well with a standard 8' ceiling height.  Even in the near field the sound reflected off the ceiling would arrive at least 12ms after the sound from the forward-facing driver.

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 31 Dec 2016, 02:19 pm »
Is this the one Decware is selling?

This would appear to be the new Decware special 1.5 way:  http://www.decware.com/cgi-bin/yabb22/YaBB.pl?num=1480053076/30

My calibrated eyeball says it is 9" wide, 12.5" deep and 35" tall including feet.  I estimate an ~40 liter volume, roughly twice the volume of a Super 3U or XRS and would give each driver the equivalent air volume.  I would imagine the larger enclosure will maximize the bass we can expect from an RS5 driver.

I'm still not 100% sold that there is no tradeoff in going with a larger enclosure for RS5 driver.  I remain of the opinion (with no real basis other than gut feeling) that there is a sweet spot for each driver between deep bass production and midbass snap.  In the case of the RS5 driver, that sweet spot may be around 20 liters per driver.  That's what is in the Super 3U and Super 3XRS.  In this new 1.5way floor stander, we are seeing a similar volume per driver.  I haven't seen the rear of this particular model, but I would imagine it to have two ports as well, matching the tuning of the XRS.

A 40 liter volume seems about right for the cone area of two 4.5" drivers.  The Super Alnico Monitor has about twice the cone area in its 6.5" driver and has a similar volume (36 liters).

I recall the bestselling Snell speakers from their classic Peter Snell era being the Type E and EII.  These were medium sized (about 50-60 liter) floorstanders with an 8" driver and 1" tweeter.  This same driver complement was also implemented in the smaller Type J (~40l) and Type K (~25l).  These latter models were targeted at a lower price point and sacrificed bass quantity for cabinet size.  However, it is possible that one of these smaller models was more optimum for the driver used if absolute bass quantity were ignored.

The RS5 driver appears to work successfully in volumes from 9 to 20 liters.

OzarkTom

« Reply #16 on: 31 Dec 2016, 03:28 pm »
If these are as good as slam and Steve Deckart  say they are, Louis had better build several boat loads full. :thumb:

Snells had crossoers, they sounded fairly good, but not very fast.

pstrisik

« Reply #17 on: 31 Dec 2016, 04:52 pm »
They look tall with no tilt.  Four non-cone feet (my preference).  Interesting to read reactions from Decware folks that aren't yet familiar with Omega.  We'll see how the reactions go when they start hearing them with Decware amps!

........Peter

Slam

« Reply #18 on: 12 Mar 2017, 08:42 am »
I have to sell these to raise money. Just posted Ana's on n the classified. Sorry to see them go .

pi.bond

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2017, 03:48 am »
I'm curious - how does the sensitivity and impedance of the 3 XRS Multipoint compare with the 94.5db/8 ohms of the 3 XRS and the 97.5db/6 ohms of the 3XRS HO?

Thanks.