I viewed Spatial's website this morning and did not see these $12K speakers?

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
so, two separate speakers? Concentric configuration? Not questioning the sound for sure, Don! Just curious. (Never heard any of the KEF speakers!) :green:

Hi
No, they are not concentric, but I know they have custom designed proprietary wave guides to do what Sam wants.  I know what the drivers are, but Sam wants to keep it quiet for now at least as it is proprietary.  Let's just say the drivers are quite expensive and top shelf parts.  Of course you could hear that....  It will be up to Spatial to release whatever details they wish to divulge, but I can personally assure all of you that they are not cheap parts.  That is why the speaker sounds amazing and the price is what it is.....  Like with the amps and preamp, with Spatial you are paying for premium parts, not some huge markup on average parts quality. 

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
No, they are not concentric......

Spatial Audio

Yeah, I would like to see more from them also! BUT, they are new to the game and have very few employees. All of them have multiple jobs to fill. They do have a "media" person but he is very young and, I expect, inexperienced. Lend them support and hope they survive as a manufacturer. The new Q3 speakers sound great! Of course, $25,000 worth of 300B amps and preamp doesn't hurt!!! I give them top one, or maybe two, at Southwest Audio Fest this past weekend.

Thanks for the support. We are still recovering from the show and getting back into production on speakers and amplifiers. We think the show was a tremendous success. The feedback from many veterans of these events was overwhelmingly positive. While the X4 is a great speaker, we have taken the crossover design about as far as we can in making it sound as good as possible. The Q3 represents a departure from the AMT-centric X-series and our first completely new Spatial Audio Lab product under the engineering and design leadership of Sam Whitt. There will be more dialog and social media engagement coming. The website has been updated and will expand rapidly with some new products that we have been working on for a long time. Our focus has been engineering and making the best possible speakers and amplifiers without regard for component cost. (The most expensive parts don't always make a meaningful difference in performance. But, when they do, that's what we are using.) Hopefully, this community will be patient with us and take the opportunity to hear what we are laboring to bring to market.
- David W

lazbisme

GREAT NEWS! Thanks for the comment.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
I got to hear the Q3s at the show and they were easily the best sounding speakers/room at the show.

I'm definitely excited to see what becomes of this model going forward! :thumb:

dls123

• Industry Participant
    • Citation Restoration
Thanks.  I am totally biased because those are my amps and preamp, but I had the same opinion, although I didn't make it to every room.  I find that most rooms don't play music.  They are designed to capture your attention, but when you listen to the overall musical presentation they fall short, and I don't care if they have megabucks worth of gear in them.  There is little correlation between price and sonics.  It is quite astounding.  Ours sounded like music. 

What was great fun was when the internet worked well and we could take requests.  People had some great demo tracks they loved and I saved a few to listen to again.   It is fun to play what people want to hear and watch them smile!